Jan 18, 2019, 04:01 PM
Hey Bill!

Well, I'd like to keep the topic on the LRX as much as I can, but you aren't the first person to comment on some of my videos as being risky. What I can say is that I am a professional team pilot and product developer with this company with extensive experience focusing on follow/chase footage via FPV. Any HH video in the last 3 years that has included air-to-air footage, it's been me on the sticks. Flying proximity next to moving objects is kind of my specialty, but I choose to stay humble keep away from any 'hot-shot' attitude that could cause damage or injury. Rather than say that this was a bad idea to post from HH, I'd say the video, when researched is actually showing how to perform stunts like this the right way. This was a closed airfield, the entire flight plan was briefed prior to the flight including exit routes and worse-case scenarios. Both pilots were in live communication during the whole flight with property caretakers on site. I'm always willing to calculate the worst case scenarios when I put my aircraft in the air, and am very confident in my skills as an FPV pilot. Again, I think this video was an excellent demonstration of how these aircraft can be used safely while still capturing compelling footage. The video becomes a little boring once you realize how much planning took place to get it.

An amateur radio operators license is required in the US to operate any 5.8ghz video system above 25mw. This is stated on our product page and in the manual for all of our FPV products. This particular VTX has a power range of 25/200/600mw. So for this and many other products we sell with this particular VTX in it, a HAM license is required by law in the US. So to answer your question, yes. We have direct links to knowbeforeyoufly.org and faadronezone.faa.gov for our customers on the website as well. We do expect our customers to do some research on their own to find out how to legally operate this aircraft in their own region, as laws change from country to country (also stated in the manual). Our company works closely with the FCC and Ministry of Communications to make sure we are within complete compliance with US and UK regulations. FYI, if you were to purchase an LRX in the UK, the VTX would be restricted to 25mw, per UK regulations.

With that said, I'm a product developer. I do not market the products, I just design and develop them. Company's aren't held responsible for what their user's do with the products, the users are. I would hope anyone willing to buy any multirotor would find out how to operate it legally before taking to the skies, and I think that's a lot of the problem we face right now. They don't.

most of my duration tests were actually performed while carrying a GoPro Hero 6. Black, a pretty hefty bit of HD cam with a 1300mah battery (recommended) and I wasn't 'cruising' ...if you watch any of my videos, I like the throttle stick. especially when i'm trying to keep up with fixed wing aircraft!

5" race quad getting 8 minutes on a 1550 4s? ..all I can really say there is congratulations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Glover
Pete, good to see your participation here.

First ... I'm in the UK so no idea what the legal position is in the US, but intentionally flying that close to any manned aircraft in flight still seems crazy to me. A 7" quad is potentially going to slice through rigging lines etc. with no problem if anything goes wrong. Some years back we had a hang glider pilot die here after an r/c glider broke a wire on his aircraft. Our hobby is under huge media scrutiny at the moment so a well known corporate would surely want to be seen to be acting safely / legally / responsibly at all times?

Speaking of which. AFAIK (happy to be corrected) neither 600 mW (with no ham licence) on the VTx nor flight beyond LOS are legal in most places, so are you advising the beginners you're marketing this 'long range' quad to of this?

Finally, from a technical POV my regular 5" race/freestyle type quads cruise at about 10A. So I could stretch those to around 8 mins on their normal 1550 mAh packs, and maybe 11 mins on 2200s. That's using 4S, and hauling an HD camera. So 10 mins or so on 6S 2200 with no HD camera really isn't anything special in terms of efficiency. IMHO.
to remove ads between posts
Jan 18, 2019, 04:22 PM
(͡ ͜ʖ ͡)(͡ ͜ʖ ͡)(͡ ͜ʖ ͡)
I just want to say that I do appreciate seeing that Blade is looking at this thread for comments too. I have nothing against Blade or Horizon Hobby -- the Spektrum service when I had my DX6 and DX7 was superb. I loved the 350QX and Chroma series as well. I still have my Chroma. I had like 3 nano-qx's and a blade 200qx. Loved all that stuff. Still do break out the 350 every now and then for some fun. But I'm just really not using any of HH's more recent drone offerings these days... I sorta miss the days when I got excited checking the HH website for new drones but ever since the Blade Mach 25 it's been difficult.

I love knowing about all of the BNFs that are out there so that I can recommend them to newcomers to the hobby. I wish that Blade could offer this drone for cheaper with more up to date hardware, but as it stands I feel like I can't recommend it. Maybe I would be 'wowed' by how 'locked in' it feels if I flew it. I understand that hardware and specs is not everything but the price point for it at face value seems like a punch in the gut.

Quote:
You're right, lots of other vendors to choose from, but none in a 7" BNF form factor that I can find, There may be one out there, but I haven't found it. If there is one, I'd be very interested to see it's retail cost.
You're right. There aren't any 7" BNF models that I can think of that are out there. The vendors I'm thinking of right now all sell 5" and 6" BNFs. While there should be a price increase for each level up in size (relative to capability as well)... I'm also not completely convinced that 6S and 7" props is really the best thing for a beginner either, since after all, that's what we're talking about. 5" is an extremely popular size right now with 6" being the next level up. The 7" is an outlier -- it's an interesting choice.

Quote:
Smart battery technology and iC connectors are EC compatible (HH standard battery connector) and are an excellent new technology for Horizon Hobby. This tech is great for beginners who aren't familiar with proper lipo care. This will avoid many household fires and damages caused by improper charging. I did make sure to leave plenty of power lead left for anyone who would like to snip off the iC connector and solder up their favorite connector, pretty simple task for someone who's done it before.
Yeah I have seen similar technology before -- looks like it might be licensed actually, or is it your own in-house product? Personally I do like this, and I have seen similar before from another manufacturer (possibly it is being licensed from them ?) but I wish that it was open source. I just checked the price of a 3S 1300mah battery with this connector and it's $28! That is very expensive for a 3s battery and it's rated at 30c... The lowest 6s battery I found is 3200mah at $89.99/battery. Do you have a link to your recommended battery for this on the HH site? I think it will be a struggle to sell batteries at these prices with the c ratings listed, despite the tech, because lipo fires are very rare. If the batteries were more competitively priced then some people would come over.

Remember that power users are imporant to consider with products like this too -- they are the people who will be recommending things to those who are new. If they're using it, then it can "trickle down." I'd like to be able to own smart battries for all of my racing drones, and I'd recommend them to anyone with a $2-$3 price difference but not when the price gap is so huge. I hope this tech becomes cheaper in the future. That all being said -- it's good that you left some slack on the leads though and thought about a power user changing it out.

Quote:
the ESC connectors you see are rated for well beyond the need, and are another feature targeted for the beginner to intermediate pilot who doesn't want to tear down his machine and try to solder up motor wires for the first time. Simply unscrew the damaged motor and unplug, mount the new motor and plug it in for approximately a 1 minute motor change.
There was quite a big discussion on this topic in another group I'm in recently about this. While I totally get it that making the connectors easy to change out helps the new fpv drone flyer avoid soldering, it decreases the robustness and adds a little weight. The group discussion on this was almost unanimous that connectors are not the best idea and can fail a lot easier than a proper solder joint. Now I've not done testing on this myself to determine it scientifically but having dealt with connectors myself like any hobbyist I can see why that was the general sentiment. If you whack a branch or hit something hard, how will the connector hold up vs soldered? It's just a design choice that I'm extremely leery of, even though I understand why you did it.

Oh, and finally regarding the paramotor thing also -- I don't think it's a big deal at and I thought it was really cool.! It was obvious to me that they had permission to do that and safety didn't cross my mind; not with HH anyway I know they wouldn't do anything stupid. Maybe adding some text regarding that it was done with permission would suffice, if necessary. They are some manufacturers who have promoted their drone builds with questionable flight footage and to someone who doesn't know, a snap judgement could be made. Average joe though probably will just think "Damn that's cool as hell."
Last edited by JohnCC; Jan 18, 2019 at 04:30 PM.
Jan 18, 2019, 04:27 PM
Yeah, it's shipping to customers right now. I won't be re-developing much.

Outdated because the firmware no longer supports PPM or PWM rx inputs, the FC design doesn't have those traces anyway, I'm ok with that.

Not sure I'd call it outdated because the firmware doesn't support something I didn't put on the board. I agree that F3's are on their way out. But at the moment your argument, and this common rhetoric from FPV pilots, just isn't the case. Running a slightly higher process load on the FC while not using additional filters and features to get the flight characteristics I want, I'm ok with that too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rclab1
Its too late to change anything on this quad.
Its probably been planned 5-8months ago.
Why would they change it now and lose money.

I feel bad for anyone who buys this outdated quad....

Long Range my buttocks.....lolol

P.S.
Next time...just send out products to secret NDA
hobbyists (like what DJI does) to wring it out... and they all come
out with reviews the same day....duh!
Last edited by Pete Holey; Jan 18, 2019 at 05:57 PM.
Jan 18, 2019, 04:57 PM
Last edited by Pete Holey; Jan 18, 2019 at 05:02 PM.
Jan 18, 2019, 04:58 PM
Quote:
I just want to say that I do appreciate seeing that Blade is looking at this thread for comments too.
Here's the battery I've been using on it, 35$ from HH.com Link here

You rock. I really appreciate this back and forth, and respect your opinions for sure. Thanks for keeping the conversation 'pro level'
Last edited by Pete Holey; Jan 18, 2019 at 06:05 PM.
Jan 18, 2019, 05:01 PM
Old Jan 18, 2019, 05:59 PM
rclab1
A moderator felt this post violated the following rule: Trolling (Obnoxious behavior). It is temporarily hidden while rclab1 edits it.
Jan 18, 2019, 06:10 PM
Quote:
Who bought one?
Long Range???? Hahahaha

P.S.
Why type sooo long?
Well sir, you're still making comments on subjects that I've addressed earlier in the thread. You may want to take a look through the "sooo long" typing to acquire some insight into the conversation.

Sorry to make you read.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 06:19 PM
rclab1
A moderator felt this post violated the following rule: Trolling (Obnoxious behavior). It is temporarily hidden while rclab1 edits it.
Jan 18, 2019, 06:28 PM
Quote:
Sorry to correct you..."Long Range"...
Are you Cray Cray
How long have you flown FPV?
You have 11 posts?
rclab, I'm not here to defend anything or argue, I'm here to inform users on the product I developed. Please take some time to read through the thread a little more thoroughly before commenting further. If you don't like the product, your opinion is completely respected and allowed. Regarding my number of posts and my seniority in the FPV industry, feel free to investigate that on your own. I'm not here to flex my muscle about how OG I am. I go where the people are talking about my product so I can communicate and inform.

Hope you have a great weekend, happy flying.

Pete Holey
Horizon Hobby Product Development
Jan 18, 2019, 06:32 PM
USA: LakeGeorge, New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Holey
rclab, I'm not here to defend anything or argue, I'm here to inform users on the product I developed. Please take some time to read through the thread a little more thoroughly before commenting further. If you don't like the product, your opinion is completely respected and allowed. Regarding my number of posts and my seniority in the FPV industry, feel free to investigate that on your own. I'm not here to flex my muscle about how OG I am. I go where the people are talking about my product so I can communicate and inform.

Hope you have a great weekend, happy flying.

Pete Holey
Horizon Hobby Product Development

Ok.
Next time you product develop, ask
Latest blog entry: My FAVORITE FPV CockPits'!!!!
Jan 18, 2019, 06:52 PM
Quote:
Ok.
Next time you product develop, ask

Was that a personal attack? I'm not even sure. too vague. type more next time

Thanks again to everyone who was able to maintain civility while providing their comments and opinions on this thread!
Old Jan 18, 2019, 08:03 PM
rclab1
Jan 18, 2019, 10:06 PM
Quote:
Wow!
"Long Range"....

Great way to advertise..."Long Range"
Good luck on this product...it looks successful and we'll thought out...lolol
I'll go buy it full price tomorrow
Thanks so much for the support! hope you enjoy the product.

#lastword
Jan 18, 2019, 10:12 PM
(͡ ͜ʖ ͡)(͡ ͜ʖ ͡)(͡ ͜ʖ ͡)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Holey
Here's the battery I've been using on it, 35$ from HH.com Link here

You rock. I really appreciate this back and forth, and respect your opinions for sure. Thanks for keeping the conversation 'pro level'
Thanks for the link. That's a non smart battery -- but I see you can use regular batteries with ec3 connectors with that iC3.

I do have another question -- that battery is only 30c. That's shocking to me. Seems way too low for this quad's capabilities. What kind of amperage does this unit actually pull?

And thanks for being open to discussion, even if no changes can be made now. I hope that Blade might consider fielding feedback from RCG for development of future models. Dicussions like this may have helped you to get the green light to get an F4 pre-development (just an example), even if it isn't "necessary."

Quick Reply