This thread is privately moderated by flightengr, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Jan 12, 2019, 03:53 PM
Better SAFE than sorry!
Thread OP
Mini-HowTo

Spektrum WS1000 and RealFlight 8 Horizon Edition

I recently purchased RealFlight 8 Horizon Hobby Edition along with a Spektrum WS1000 USB receiver. Being a big fan of Spektrum's SAFE (Sensor Assisted Flight Envelope), I wanted to pick up the only flight sim other than Phoenix that has HH planes and the SAFE stabilization included.

First I spent some time with the Spektrum WS1000. I wasn't sure what to expect out of it at first, but I learned that it's a Spektrum receiver that presents the radio channels (8 of them, as far as I can tell) to Windows as a standard game controller/joystick device.

Binding the WS1000 to the transmitter is a bit of a challenge, as you have to hold down the bind button on the WS1000 while you plug it into the USB port in order to get it into bind mode. But once you get the WS1000 into bind mode, it binds with the transmitter just like any other Spektrum receiver.

Once the WS1000 is connected, it presents the channels to Windows this way:

Throttle (Spektrum channel 1) = Y-Axis (DirectX Input: Y)
Aileron (2) = Z-Axis (Z)
Elevator (3) = X-Rotation (Rx)
Rudder (4) = X-Axis (X)
Gear (5) = Y-Rotation (Ry)
Aux1 (6) = Z-Rotation and Button 1 (button is pressed when channel is at -100%) (Rz)
Aux2 (7) = Slider and Button 2 (GetSlider(1))
Aux3 (8) = Dial and Button 3 (GetSlider(0))
Aux4 (9) does not appear to be mapped

You can see the channels in action pretty easily using the control panel in Windows. On Windows 7, go to "Devices and Printers", and you'll see one called "SPEKTRUM RECEIVER" if it's plugged in. Right-click it and go to "Game Controller Settings". Then click "Properties" for it in the next dialog box. Finally you get to a screen that lets you watch things move on the screen as you move the sticks and flip switches on the transmitter.

There is no need to calibrate anything at the Windows level. The controls work fine.

That prompted me to make my own program that's basically a big version of the Monitor screen you'd find on the Spektrum transmitters that have LCD screens. Along with knowing how the Spektrum channels are mapped to the various DirectX game controller inputs (listed above), you just need to know that Windows provides numerical values in the range of 0 to 65535, which you then translate into a range of -150% to +150% to match what you would see on the transmitter.

A screen shot is posted below. If you'd like to play with it, a ZIP file is also provided below. It requires that DirectX and .NET 4.0 be installed on your system.
Last edited by flightengr; Jan 13, 2019 at 01:05 PM.
to remove ads between posts

Quick Reply