This thread is privately moderated by blitzen, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Jan 12, 2019, 02:00 PM
Discussion

The Glider/Plane

It all started with a phenomenal chuck glider. The plan was to transform the glider into a RC plane. I've never built a plane before. A little plane didn't seem overly ambitious. My feeble attempt flew like a wounded duck. I salvaged the parts, swallowed my pride and went on to build something more conventional. This time the components are recessed into the wing and fuselage of the basic glider. That idea seemed straightforward enough. Mounting the board and servo between the wing and fuselage wasn't that easy. The plane needed to remain balanced too. The combo receiver board has two onboard servos that are connected to the elevons. Another servo was added for the rudder. The servos are in line with the control horns and the push rods have no slop. The control surfaces have quite a sweep and are 100% of the trailing edges. The flat trapezoidal wing has a 3 degree forward incline and no dehireal. I have had only a few flight sessions because of unsettled weather. I was mainly looking at how everything behaved and made adjustments to the transmitter settings. On my last outing I had problems. The motor had been slipping in the mount and had been turning little by little. Finally, the wires behind it twisted together so tightly that a short occured. The motor became blazing hot and it fell off. I'll be eliminating the mount and gluing the new motor further back in the fuselage. Glide tests actually showed an improvement so I don't need to fiddle with the CG. Hopefully the new battery for my hat cam will arrive soon and I'll have a video to post.
Latest blog entry: The Glider/Plane
to remove ads between posts

Quick Reply