This thread is privately moderated by elan, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Jan 12, 2019, 10:52 AM
Thread OP
Mini-Review

Hobbyzone Champ

Not too long ago, I picked up a Hobbyzone Champ, RTF 20" wingspan airplane. I use my DX7s to fly it in the back yard. So far I have about 7.5 hours on it and am liking it alot. For me, it is the perfect back yard flier plank. Of course I love helis, but you can't beat the Champ for relaxing, 12 minute flights, tooling around in the back yard. The little ship has STOL capabilities, that means it needs very little space to take off and land in. I have fitted the model with 1.5 inch dupro bush tires, and use a welcome mat for an airstrip to take off of and then land it in the grass with the bush tires. For the snow, I've fitted a spare set of landing gear with snow skiis and take off and land on the snow. Or hand launch and land on the snow, with the skis.

This morning I was flying over the snow and the temp was 5 degrees F. My wife took a video of the champ in flight. I was doing 8's, and circuits. I flew for the normal 12 minute flight and then landed in the snow on the skis. Of course, I was wearing a wool cap and using a TX mitt :-)

champ snow3 (0 min 51 sec)

champ snow2 (0 min 35 sec)
Last edited by elan; Jan 13, 2019 at 10:30 AM.
to remove ads between posts

Quick Reply