This thread is privately moderated by Mad_angler1, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Jan 12, 2019, 06:54 AM
Bog Flusher Platinum Grade
Thread OP
New Product

DJI Smart Controller For Mavic 2

Iv just done a video on this but I wanted to share some of my thoughts about the DJI Smart Controller for the Mavic 2 Series.

DJI Smart Controller For Mavic 2 - My Thoughts & Spec Walk-thorough (8 min 53 sec)

My Thoughts

Having been rumoured since the release of the Mavic 2 this RC has always been one that has divided opinion and that stands true today more than ever.

The Smart Controller is an all in one RC and built in Crystalsky 5.5Ē smart device similar to what we have seen with the ST16 from Yuneec and the new Herelink system from Proficnc.

It takes what DJI did with the Plus remote on the Phantom 4 series and takes it to the next level, saying this is simply the Mavic RC and Crystalsky combined is not fully true and itís more like a Crystalsky 2.0 with many overall improvements to the OS and device performance.
The Screen is the same 1000 nits brightness we seen on Crystalsky but touch responsiveness is much improved I have been told, connectivity is plentiful with USB C for charging and firmware updates, HDMI output, USB A Output and a Micro SD Card slot.

A note that shows how the internals have been beefed up is the fact is will now play back 4K footage from the SD card and output this via HDMI in 4K, the original CS was limited to 1080P.

Buttons wise you have all the same ones from the original RC like Power,RTL,Pause, Shutter,Record and the 5D, on each corner there is the camera setting wheel and the gimbal control. There are then 4 additional programmable buttons that do have default actions but can be changed via Go 4.

Itís powered by duel internal batteries that are charged via the USB C port and give up to 2.5h of use in normal conditions.

itís still using duel omni directional antennas that rotate and fold flat into the back of the RC but fold out in normal use, one note on this is that donít rotate fully vertical so in normal use your going to either need to hold the RC more vertical or position them pointing at the ground, this should not cause any issues as they are still in the vertical polarisation in this position.

Software wise its still using a customised Android OS but DJI do state it has compatibility with 3rd party appís, however my understanding is there is still not Goggle Play Services or Play Store so not everything will work.

Aircraft Support is currently limited to Ocusync 2.0 so thatís the Mavic 2 Series with the Pro and Zoom having support today and the Enterprise models getting it very soon, it is not compatible officially with the Mavic Pro or the Ocusync Air System but these have not been tested yet by users.

Overall what your getting is a customised all in one RC that allows you I simply charge and fly and not have to worry about your phone or charging other tablets or getting brackets ect.

Where it divides opinion is the price, being $650 US and £570 in the UK its clear this has caused a little stir, for me I never expected this to be any cheaper if Iím honest, while I have seen numbers in the region of $400 being banded around I just donít think its possible to produce a device like this for that.

I completely understand many saying they are not paying that much when they already have a phone etc but what your getting here is convenience, itís down to each person to put their own price on that. Itís much more viable as part of the whole aircraft package as your only paying $400 more in the US and £430 in the uk as your saving for not getting the standard RC.

My personal opinion is I would use this and use it a lot, to not have to worry about charging 3 items or deal with brackets and cables is just a big overall benefit for me, I have always flown the Mavic series with a phone or Crystalsky so that screen size is ideal for me. Most of my Mavic flying is quick short flights to capture something I have seen as I was driving or a quick commercial job where itís a short flight to get the image, this is where this remote really comes into itís own.

I really do see this being the default option for the Mavic 2 Enterprise and Mavic 2 Duel users as its just gives you a total all in one package.

Overall as an upgrade its not cheap but its probably worth it, as part of the package I would probably recommend going with that if you just want convenance.

DJI Smart Controller https://click.dji.com/AJJUF-gUR-MZKsp...

Download The Manual https://click.dji.com/AN3dONoWansBw8h...

More Info on Mavic 2 Pro or Zoom https://click.dji.com/ACbXLOSehDEJzkC...

Please note the above is affricate links.
to remove ads between posts

Quick Reply