Jan 12, 2019, 04:50 AM
Question

can I paint an foam rc plane?

hello guys,
I am new to rc planes and I was wondering if I could simply paint my foam rc plane instead of covering it with that thin film or tape.
will the ink layer work as a protective tape or film?
by the way, how do you guys call that protective film put all over the fuselage and wings?
thanks.
to remove ads between posts
Jan 12, 2019, 08:30 AM
Build straight - Fly twisty
Yes, you can paint a foamy with water based acrylic paint.
Have a look at the thread dedicated to the subject in this very forum:
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...ctional-videos
Jan 12, 2019, 09:43 AM
Build, crash...repeat
As Whiskers says, yes you can paint your foamie. I am assuming you are talking about a scratchbuilt plane made with Depron, MPF, Dollar Tree Foamboard, or other foamboard,
I have found that brushing on water based paint on DTFB causes some wrinkling and delamination, but it’s not bad. Spray painting with Krylon or other rattle can paint can work, but I’ve experienced wrinkling. Others have said the trick is to use several very light coats, but I have yet to master the technique. I am now trying a coat of oil based PU that I wipe mostly off before spray painting, I’ll let you know about that. Others have had success with it though.
Depron or MPF(these don’t have a paper skin) can melt with spray paints but maybe others have had luck with light coats. I have used water based craft paints brushed on and that works well. Or airbrushed water based paint also is good if you have the airbrush of course.

You can also precover the foamboard with colored or clear packing tape as described by the guy at Experimental Airlines who is on the scratchbuilt foamie forum.
Last edited by AleRRon; Jan 12, 2019 at 09:47 AM. Reason: Add
Jan 12, 2019, 11:31 AM
thanks a lot.
Jan 12, 2019, 07:57 PM
I Look, Listen, and Learn
You can use spray cans but you need to hold the can more than a foot away from the foam. It's the propellent in the can that attacks the foam, most of it evaporates at that distance before it hits the foam...of course you use more paint since alot of it is dissipated also.
Jan 13, 2019, 07:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timbo383
You can use spray cans but you need to hold the can more than a foot away from the foam. It's the propellent in the can that attacks the foam, most of it evaporates at that distance before it hits the foam...of course you use more paint since alot of it is dissipated also.
great info. thanks.
Jan 14, 2019, 11:47 AM
Build, crash...repeat

Pu

I don’t think I’m the first one to invent this wheel, but I applied brush on oil- based Minwax Polyurethane and wiped most of it off with paper towels and let it dry. Then I sprayed with a can of spray pain. On the model shown here I also masked off some white and then masked the area for the cockpit. I found that if you try to use even blue masking tape on paper covered DTFB, the paper can come off when you peel the tape off. But with the PU on it, the tape comes off easily no problem. And there was no wrinkling or melting of foam using this technique. I think this is a good method.
Last edited by AleRRon; Jan 14, 2019 at 11:49 AM. Reason: correct spelling
Jan 14, 2019, 11:52 AM
Build, crash...repeat
This is my recent model.

Quick Reply