Feb 14, 2019, 06:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GradyLee
Well, mine arrived today. It would've been nice if the wing joiner tube had been included. At least it's HH, so I know they'll make it right!
Did you look in the bottom of the foam insert. Most of mt recent purchases have had it placed there.
to remove ads between posts
Feb 14, 2019, 08:14 PM
Parkstormer!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrzent
Did you look in the bottom of the foam insert. Most of mt recent purchases have had it placed there.
Thanks. Yes, I did, and watched one of the unboxing videos to see where theirs was, but no luck. I’ll get it straightened out.
Feb 15, 2019, 10:59 AM
Wow.. this is a very substantial 1.3m plane. Very huge presence.

So the CG calls out to balance the plane inverted at 90-100mm (+ or - 3mm) from the leading edge of the main wing. Using my Pulse 4S 2250mAh 45C lipos that weigh 240 grams and placed as far forward in the cavity, with the front 1/4 of the battery inserted within the hollow plastic cylinder and almost butted up to the motor, the Extra still feels nose light when balanced at rearmost CG of 100mm.

Anyone else getting these results as well?
Last edited by Blaze0021; Feb 15, 2019 at 11:13 AM.
Feb 15, 2019, 11:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaze0021
Wow.. this is a very substantial 1.3m plane. Very huge presence.

So the CG calls out to balance the plane inverted at 90-100mm (+ or - 3mm) from the leading edge of the main wing. Using my Pulse 4S 2250mAh 45C lipos that weigh 240 grams and placed as far forward in the cavity, with the front 1/4 of the battery inserted within the hollow plastic cylinder and almost butted up to the motor, the Extra still feels nose light when balanced at rearmost CG of 100mm.

Anyone else getting these results as well?
E-flite did a nice job with the scheme on the Extra that is for sure. Looks sharp.

Based on all the Eflite planes I have owned their recommended CG ranges tend to be a little on the conserative side biased towards being a little nose heavy. I'm interested in seeing what kind of flight time you get from a 4s/2200 pack. I have had a few Extreme Flight 52" planes and they needed a 4s/3300 pack to get a decent 5 minute flight.

Looking forward to seeing your flight videos on this one.
Feb 15, 2019, 11:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by r/cdawg
E-flite did a nice job with the scheme on the Extra that is for sure. Looks sharp.

Based on all the Eflite planes I have owned their recommended CG ranges tend to be a little on the conserative side biased towards being a little nose heavy. I'm interested in seeing what kind of flight time you get from a 4s/2200 pack. I have had a few Extreme Flight 52" planes and they needed a 4s/3300 pack to get a decent 5 minute flight.

Looking forward to seeing your flight videos on this one.
Yeah, I agree, the trim scheme is very attractive, IMO.

Just to be safe, I'll keep the battery as far forward on the maiden and go from there, as it is balancing just at the tip of being tail heavy at the 100mm CG (recommended CG of 90-100mm from leading edge of main wing).

The manual calls out to set the timer to 3 minutes on the 4S 2200 packs, but depending on my throttle management, I may be able to get close to 4 minutes off of my Pulse 4S 2250s.

We shall see. Wish me luck. I've been bugging HH to make a larger sized Sbach for a few years now (resisted the urge to buy a Dynam Sbach or FMS Sbach for a long time), and they finally come up with this offering. If this plane kicks a$$ then it should fulfill my wanting of an Sbach Thunderbolt.
Last edited by Blaze0021; Feb 15, 2019 at 12:12 PM.
Feb 15, 2019, 01:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaze0021
Yeah, I agree, the trim scheme is very attractive, IMO.

Just to be safe, I'll keep the battery as far forward on the maiden and go from there, as it is balancing just at the tip of being tail heavy at the 100mm CG (recommended CG of 90-100mm from leading edge of main wing).

The manual calls out to set the timer to 3 minutes on the 4S 2200 packs, but depending on my throttle management, I may be able to get close to 4 minutes off of my Pulse 4S 2250s.

We shall see. Wish me luck. I've been bugging HH to make a larger sized Sbach for a few years now (resisted the urge to buy a Dynam Sbach or FMS Sbach for a long time), and they finally come up with this offering. If this plane kicks a$$ then it should fulfill my wanting of an Sbach Thunderbolt.
Good luck with the maiden flights and be sure to wring it out good. Also be sure to post those "golden hour" pictures of it.

My thoughts are that you should be able to get 4 minutes on a 4s/2200 pack. I have used them from time to time in my Extreme Flight 52" Extra and Slick and that is what I have been getting even with a fair amount of long vertical climbouts.

I plan to order one but it will be a couple weeks. I'm waiting for a few more Horizon RC Club rewards points to mature. Combined with what I already have I should be able to get a good amount off on the Extra.
Feb 15, 2019, 03:13 PM
DW Productions
We need some more action videos please.
Feb 15, 2019, 03:55 PM
Picked mine up @ Hobby Town Duluth GA Thursday 2/14/2019.
No foam damage, everything well paclaged, assembly was easy per the manual.
Had one each of evry screw extra.
Prop looks like a XOAR.
Here is a photo of my battery placement (4S 3300mAh) GC @ 100mm
Feb 15, 2019, 07:31 PM

Cg

I am not sure why Eflite CG is very different than FMS considering these are the same plane. I believe FMS recommended CG is 120mm.
Feb 15, 2019, 11:00 PM

Eflite Extra 300 1.3m BNF Basic Maiden Flight with GoPro Drone Chase

Quote:
Good luck with the maiden flights and be sure to wring it out good. Also be sure to post those "golden hour" pictures of it.

My thoughts are that you should be able to get 4 minutes on a 4s/2200 pack. I have used them from time to time in my Extreme Flight 52" Extra and Slick and that is what I have been getting even with a fair amount of long vertical climbouts.

I plan to order one but it will be a couple weeks. I'm waiting for a few more Horizon RC Club rewards points to mature. Combined with what I already have I should be able to get a good amount off on the Extra.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax Quad
We need some more action videos please.
Here you go guys:

In 1080p 60fps - Best viewed in fullscreen. This is the maiden flight of my Eflite Extra 300 1.3m wingspan BNF Basic. Not only is it my first flight with this amazing machine, it's also my first time being chased and recorded by a drone (thanks Jeff). Given that we aren't pros I think it turned out pretty well!

Eflite Extra 300 1.3m BNF Basic Maiden Flight with GoPro Drone Chase (4 min 7 sec)

My Eflite Extra 300 1.3m is completely stock. Powered by a Pulse 4S 2250mAh 45C lipo, weighing in at 240 grams. CG was set rearmost to 100mm from the leading edge of the main wing at the fuselage. Flight Timer was set to 3 minutes as recommended by the manual. Flown with a Spektrum DX8 G2 Transmitter at 100% rates and 30% expo on all control surfaces.

Jeff's Drone is a Diatone GT-M530, Ethik S3 props, Frisky R9M Rx, VAS Ion antenna, Frisky Taranis Tx with R9 Long Range Module, GoPro Session 5.

Thanks for the video capture Jeff!

And as always, thanks for watching!
Feb 16, 2019, 08:32 AM
Nice job with the video Blaze0021. I take it that you are pleased with the flight characteristics.

Nice golden hour picture too. I’m also very jealous of your flying field, I mean look at all that artificial turf.

How was the battery consumption after a 3 minute flight?
Feb 16, 2019, 10:12 AM
DW Productions
Nice video blaze. Your drone guy has skills, that's not easy to do. I'm a little concerned about the 3 minute flight times. Will a larger battery work? I know we can all manage our throttle and extend the flight a little, but I don't think this model is made for a lot of throttle management.
Feb 16, 2019, 05:12 PM
Quote:
Nice job with the video Blaze0021. I take it that you are pleased with the flight characteristics.

Nice golden hour picture too. I’m also very jealous of your flying field, I mean look at all that artificial turf.

How was the battery consumption after a 3 minute flight?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax Quad
Nice video blaze. Your drone guy has skills, that's not easy to do. I'm a little concerned about the 3 minute flight times. Will a larger battery work? I know we can all manage our throttle and extend the flight a little, but I don't think this model is made for a lot of throttle management.
Thanks guys! Yes, this was an unplanned activity. Jeff is another guy that shows up to the field from time to time and flies planes or his quads. I was in the process of maidening my Extra and he asked if he could follow me with his drone and I said sure. As I knew he was following me, I took it a lot easier on the 3D maneuvers and antics and made sure not to “go crazy” and have him lose me.. basically fly more predictable while assessing the flight characteristics and trim of the Extra. Overall he did an awesome job! Though watching the flight I think my Extra went “stealth” at about 2:45 and he lost me on visual, only to find me on Final approach.

2 clicks of left and 2 clicks of up trim and my Extra was spot on. I was at 15.40 volts (3.85/cell) after that flight, as I was definitely taking it easier on this maiden. To be honest, I didn’t mind that it was only a 3 minute throttle timer setting. I fly EDF jets that tend to have anywhere from 3:10-3:40 set as my throttle timer, so in my perspective, it didn’t feel like a short flight. So for myself, I think my Pulse 4s 2250mAh 45C lipos work just fine. I can get all the action in within that timeframe.

Something else to think about is that the battery cavity is large enough to try an assortment of larger 4s batts if you feel the need. But I’ll stick with the 2250s for less weight and more performance.
Feb 16, 2019, 05:20 PM
smoke is my wattmeter
It’s a gorgeous airplane for sure and not a bad price.

What does it weigh without a battery? My FMS Edge weighs 50 ounces with a not stock 200 gram motor. So 60 ounces with a 4s 2600 on board. I was hoping they lightened this one up a bit.
Feb 17, 2019, 11:34 PM
Lower AL
I sure liked my FMS Edge 540, traded to Dave he still twists it up, nice plane.
Jeff...

Quick Reply