Sep 19, 2019, 09:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by queadlunnrau
I really like this plane a lot, but like every foam plane I have, blenderm on all the hinges, that's cheap insurance.

I didn't put it on due to having issues on this plane, just learned a while ago on a 116mph 800mm corsair that even pinned hinges can come off!

Every couple flights, check your motor mount, grab the spinner and move it around, see if it has a lot of play, if so your motor mount might be broken like mine was.

People love seeing this plane fly at the field, I have other planes I feel fly better, Flex Mamba 10 for example, however I think since the Extra 300 has a prettier paint job seems more people watch this plane then my others.

Great to hear and thanks for the advice! We have a few Mamba 10's at our field and they do fly nice but I agree, it's hard to beat the appearance of the Extra 300. What do you feel the Mamba 10 does better or maybe where does the Extra 300 lack when comparing the two?
to remove ads between posts
Sep 19, 2019, 10:22 AM
Luck is my skill
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpmx721
Great to hear and thanks for the advice! We have a few Mamba 10's at our field and they do fly nice but I agree, it's hard to beat the appearance of the Extra 300. What do you feel the Mamba 10 does better or maybe where does the Extra 300 lack when comparing the two?
The Mamba 10 can hover without even trying, it's the only plane in my fleet I can torque roll with confidence. My Extra 300 can hover though I really need to be anticipating all movements and every time I try a torque roll she wants to come out of it, again this is at my skill level I believe others can hover it easily.

The Extra is faster then the Mamba and people love seeing it scoot around the sky, but maneuvers like crankshafts, pop tops, harriers and hovers are just easier on the Mamba, but that is really like comparing apples to oranges, they are close to the same size, however the mamba is a short wingspan bi-plane.

Personally I like the motor on the Extra, might have to get an extra one some day and throw it in the Mamba and see what it does.
Sep 19, 2019, 11:35 AM
San Antonio TX.
I actually took the Aura 8 out of my Mamba 10 and replaced it with one of my AR 610 receivers, once I got the knife edge coupling mixed out, it flies nearly the same, just a little more of a challenge.

Bob
Sep 19, 2019, 07:26 PM
Shout out for Small Parts CNC who got my motor mount shipped out so quickly. I have not had a chance to fly my Extra 300 yet, so I will have the new mount in for the maiden.

P.S. I told my wife I’m going out to the shop for an hour or so and 15 minutes later I was back in the house because the job is done. This is the NICEST airplane to do motor work on. I wish they were all like this. Anyway I can vouch for the crappy stock motor mount in this plane. I love my E-Flites/Horizon but no way should this cheesy mount have been installed in a 4S capable plane of all things. As I’m in Canada it’s about a $50 fix for me in a brand new plane that has not even flown yet. Shame on you Horizon.
Last edited by Uncoiler; Sep 19, 2019 at 08:33 PM. Reason: Added to the original post.
Sep 20, 2019, 06:38 AM
Multi-Platform Pilot
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpmx721
Sorry Iím not able to help more with the programming. I donít have the new magazine issue yet but what all did Andrew Griffith have to say about the plane?
Pretty sure he really liked it
Sep 20, 2019, 11:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by barracudahockey
Pretty sure he really liked it
The legend himself!! Really glad to hear this. I'll have to get my hands on the article and give it a read. Thanks!
Sep 20, 2019, 01:14 PM
Multi-Platform Pilot
LOL I don't know about all that.

It's a fun plane for sure and I love the scheme. It goes without saying that though it will fly on 3S, if you want to pound the pulse, you need a 4S pack and keep it light, 2200 or so, buy extra packs if you want to fly longer.
Sep 21, 2019, 03:19 AM
Lower, Lower
It may have been covered in previous posts but has anyone had problems lining up the bolt holes that join the wings together? Is there a solution to getting the bolts out the tiny slots/holes that the bolts slide into? I find it very finicky when assembling and disassembling the wings............Iíd much rather be flying than trying to fish tiny bolts out of the wing roots. Btw.......Iím just in the process of assembling the Extra. Also, the manual states to set up your radio ďSet up your transmitter using the transmitter setup chartĒ. There is no setup chart that I can find. Any help would be appreciated.
Sep 21, 2019, 06:40 AM
Multi-Platform Pilot
LOL you're right!

There's not much setup to do.

Bind it and set the recommended rates and expo.

All the servos are setup to go the right direction and the receiver is already programmed.
Sep 21, 2019, 03:15 PM
RC Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by bc-slowflyer
It may have been covered in previous posts but has anyone had problems lining up the bolt holes that join the wings together? Is there a solution to getting the bolts out the tiny slots/holes that the bolts slide into? I find it very finicky when assembling and disassembling the wings............I’d much rather be flying than trying to fish tiny bolts out of the wing roots. Btw.......I’m just in the process of assembling the Extra. Also, the manual states to set up your radio “Set up your transmitter using the transmitter setup chart”. There is no setup chart that I can find. Any help would be appreciated.
My wings aren't too bad to line up but many others have talked about this problem. Fortunately I don't have to take my wings off for transport so it's not a problem. Maybe someone else has a tip to help with this. As far as setup, I believe Eflite always includes a small setup chart for all Spectrum radios. It's not a ton of information but the basics are there.
Sep 23, 2019, 01:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by barracudahockey
LOL I don't know about all that.

It's a fun plane for sure and I love the scheme. It goes without saying that though it will fly on 3S, if you want to pound the pulse, you need a 4S pack and keep it light, 2200 or so, buy extra packs if you want to fly longer.
Definitely keep it light if you want the best 3d capabilities.

I've never flown mine on 3s but I have been considering giving it a try. I have a Xoar 14x7 I'm going to put on it and see what kind of flight performance I can get from it.
Sep 23, 2019, 04:25 PM
ICM
ICM
r/c dawg,

Since you've only used 4s on yours, which specific 4s batteries?
Sep 23, 2019, 09:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ICM
r/c dawg,

Since you've only used 4s on yours, which specific 4s batteries?
Iíve primarily used the Admiral 4s/2200 35c packs from Motion RC.

https://www.motionrc.com/collections...-ec3-connector

I have also used the Roaring Top 4s/2700 35c but much prefer the lighter 4s/2200 packs.
Sep 24, 2019, 11:05 AM
ICM
ICM
Thanks. I've only flown mine on Admiral 3s 2600 and 3300 30c with 5-7 minute flight time which is perfect for me. Looking to try 4s and get similar flight time. I'm thinking 4s 2700 - 3300 and hoping that's not too heavy since I fly sport and basic aerobatics, not 3D.
Sep 24, 2019, 11:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ICM
Thanks. I've only flown mine on Admiral 3s 2600 and 3300 30c with 5-7 minute flight time which is perfect for me. Looking to try 4s and get similar flight time. I'm thinking 4s 2700 - 3300 and hoping that's not too heavy since I fly sport and basic aerobatics, not 3D.
I can't say for sure but from previous posts if you are looking for sport and basic aerobatic performance, any of the batteries you mentioned in 4s 2700-3300mah should work great. For real 3D performance it likes to be as light as possible so something around 2200. I agree with you though, a little longer run time of 5-7min and aerobatic performance is more desirable for me compared to 3 min. of 3D. Eventually as I get better with the plane I'll probably try more 3D though.

Quick Reply