Jul 31, 2021, 09:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maller
I just came across this plane and this thread. Thinking about picking one up.

Iím a novice pilot. Flying my Pitts 850 OK, just struggle with grass landings.

How will this plane compare?

Thanks.

The Pitts is very hard to land. Itís a target shopping cart

The extra is simple in comparison. . If you can get the Pitts down and not scrape a wing or nose over the 3D is easy

You can slow it so far just touch all 3 wheels abs rolls out 5 feet. Itís insane

Great plane. Fly 2700mah good compromise weight/time like 4 minutes pretty hard

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
to remove ads between posts
Aug 01, 2021, 05:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocACE911
The Pitts is very hard to land. Itís a target shopping cart

The extra is simple in comparison. . If you can get the Pitts down and not scrape a wing or nose over the 3D is easy

You can slow it so far just touch all 3 wheels abs rolls out 5 feet. Itís insane

Great plane. Fly 2700mah good compromise weight/time like 4 minutes pretty hard

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thatís a great description. I think this is exactly what Iím looking for.
Aug 08, 2021, 02:58 PM
if you don't know... ask!
Hiya good people!

I am having so much fun with this plane! Had a week off work this past week, and was out at my flying club every single day - morning to evening. Couldn't have been a better vacation!

I am not in to 3D, just a bit of regular tame aerobatics, and have been away from RC for a very long time. Since coming back, this is my second plane, after a Turbo Timber 1.5m. I have been flying in AS3X mode in low rates, and its a really well behaved plane.

My only problem so far is quite an irritating one. I fly Spektrum G2 packs, with the ic3 connector, and it is quite a struggle to disconnect the battery from the ec3 connector in the plane. I am told by a fellow club member that there may be a tool to help with this. Anyone know of such a "battery disconnector" tool?

Many thanks, and happy flying.
Aug 09, 2021, 06:33 PM
totally mad pilot
Quote:
Originally Posted by stubbornswiss View Post
Hiya good people!

I am having so much fun with this plane! Had a week off work this past week, and was out at my flying club every single day - morning to evening. Couldn't have been a better vacation!

I am not in to 3D, just a bit of regular tame aerobatics, and have been away from RC for a very long time. Since coming back, this is my second plane, after a Turbo Timber 1.5m. I have been flying in AS3X mode in low rates, and its a really well behaved plane.

My only problem so far is quite an irritating one. I fly Spektrum G2 packs, with the ic3 connector, and it is quite a struggle to disconnect the battery from the ec3 connector in the plane. I am told by a fellow club member that there may be a tool to help with this. Anyone know of such a "battery disconnector" tool?

Many thanks, and happy flying.
I have good experiences with that

I use the one which you take to widen outer security rings. You can easily press both parts of the EC3/IC3 connector apart.
Aug 10, 2021, 05:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Mike
I have good experiences with that

I use the one which you take to widen outer security rings. You can easily press both parts of the EC3/IC3 connector apart.
Thank you very much. I will give that a try.

Stay safe!
Aug 15, 2021, 10:48 AM
totally mad pilot
Quote:
Originally Posted by stubbornswiss
Thank you very much. I will give that a try.

Stay safe!
You're welcome... Beware of taking the head for outer rings, not those for the inner rings...
Sep 06, 2021, 08:38 AM
I have an apprentice and an extra 300 as well. I've already been through 2 sets of the landing gear. I'm also trying to come up with something better before I try to 3d print a solution. I've been trying to get back into flying fixed wing and this planes spent allot more time on the bench than in the air.
Sep 06, 2021, 08:47 AM
I fly my extra 300 with a 3700 MAH CNHL battery all the way forward. The only problem is the motor mount screws stick straight toward the battery and one "hard landing" and you'll puncture the battery.
Sep 06, 2021, 08:52 AM
The landing gear is more than adequate. Double check your CG to make sure you aren't nose heavy which will require a faster landing. Once your CG is correct, get up high and learn the stall characteristics by gradually lowering the throttle and applying up elevator to keep the nose level.....until she stalls. It will help you figure out just how slow you can land. Do this a bunch of times.

I fly off a grass field and do this will all of my planes....parkflyer and giant scale..jets...prop planes etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewmon18
I have an apprentice and an extra 300 as well. I've already been through 2 sets of the landing gear. I'm also trying to come up with something better before I try to 3d print a solution. I've been trying to get back into flying fixed wing and this planes spent allot more time on the bench than in the air.
Sep 06, 2021, 10:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by maverickma
The landing gear is more than adequate. Double check your CG to make sure you aren't nose heavy which will require a faster landing. Once your CG is correct, get up high and learn the stall characteristics by gradually lowering the throttle and applying up elevator to keep the nose level.....until she stalls. It will help you figure out just how slow you can land. Do this a bunch of times.

I fly off a grass field and do this will all of my planes....parkflyer and giant scale..jets...prop planes etc.
I fly on grass too. Even with a 3700 MAH 298g battery the plane flies tail a bit tail heavy. No offense but I wasn't looking for comments on my flying style. I was trying to see if someone had come up with a stronger landing gear solution. I've seen great advice on stronger CNC cut motor mounts and prop and motor combinations. The landing gear could be much better.
Sep 06, 2021, 12:05 PM
i also fly mine off grass and she does great. i am using a 4s 2200 at 240gm and i have to have it all the way against the fire wall . if you are running a 298gm batt, i would imagine that is significantly nose heavy relative to mine. with the 4s2200, i can float her in and gently touch the ground each time, so no LG upgrades seem necessary.
-beanie
Sep 06, 2021, 06:05 PM
Im with you , the minute you dont land silky smooth the LG bend , no matter what people say its a flimsy piece of steel wire .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewmon18
I fly on grass too. Even with a 3700 MAH 298g battery the plane flies tail a bit tail heavy. No offense but I wasn't looking for comments on my flying style. I was trying to see if someone had come up with a stronger landing gear solution. I've seen great advice on stronger CNC cut motor mounts and prop and motor combinations. The landing gear could be much better.
Sep 06, 2021, 07:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baveux
Im with you , the minute you dont land silky smooth the LG bend , no matter what people say its a flimsy piece of steel wire .
Funny this is being discussed right now!

I've had my 300 for a few months now, and fly it regularly every Saturday and Sunday (at least 5 packs each day). My landings are typically pretty smooth (afterall, its pretty easy to land it smoothly ), but just yesterday I had my first 'hardish' landing, and yes, the gear splayed out a bit on the left side. I really was surprised, because the impact was not what I would have expected to affect the gear as it did. It's not too bad, and being reluctant to try and bend it back, and probably weaken the gear, I flew it like that today, with no adverse effects. But you can see that the left side is somewhat bent out, and thats hugely irritating to me.

Oh....... and the gear (as just about everything else), is on back order everywhere!

Stay safe!
Sep 06, 2021, 07:30 PM
MMAC Matt
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baveux
I am posting this hopefully to help. I'm not being critical but the gear on this plane is more then adequate.
The gear can take some abuse. I'm not sure why you would say flimsy......
Even if they deform from a hard landing they will bend back easily. Not flimsy at all..
Attached video has 10 typical landing of my 300. I'm just showing technique.
With well over 200 flights with this plane LG is never a problem.

If you're having trouble landing this Plane, it's not the plane or the gear....
I spend quite a bit of time devoted to practicing landing techniques.
The Eflight Extra 300 is an excellent model to practice technique.

300Landings (3 min 53 sec)
Sep 06, 2021, 08:29 PM

Landing Agreement

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattmanraptor
I am posting this hopefully to help. I'm not being critical but the gear on this plane is more then adequate.
The gear can take some abuse. I'm not sure why you would say flimsy......
Even if they deform from a hard landing they will bend back easily. Not flimsy at all..
Attached video has 10 typical landing of my 300. I'm just showing technique.
With well over 200 flights with this plane LG is never a problem.

If you're having trouble landing this Plane, it's not the plane or the gear....
I spend quite a bit of time devoted to practicing landing techniques.
The Eflight Extra 300 is an excellent model to practice technique.

https://youtu.be/pvwhG5zd3EI
Mattmanraptor - I agree with you and I am not trying to be critical but helpful - another RC flier told me he flies with a purpose and that is practicing different flying maneuvers "in the air" AND "landings" such as "touch & go's" and I took his helpful suggestion and I practice touch & go's alot.
It is amazing to me that some pilots make me look like a newbie with all the flying maneuvers they can do in the air but then THEY look like a newbie when they land and if they damage the landing gear, they blame the manufacture of the plane when it was THEIR fault. I know some people in the RC industry and this is a delicate subject they have to deal with alot. I just want to suggest to fellow pilots to practice their landings as much as they practice their flight maneuvers, even on the RC simulator WITH WIND as I have done, and you will get complements on your landings even more than your flight maneuvers,
IMHO ��

Quick Reply