Aug 10, 2020, 10:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocACE911
Yeah 3200 would add a lot of weight. Going to try my 2200 4s this weekend for maiden flight . With it stuffed all the way forward my CG Will be ar 110.
I think you will be fine with that set up for the maiden flight. Mine was OK with a 3S 2200 pushed all the way forward.
to remove ads between posts
Aug 10, 2020, 07:28 PM
Learn and keep learning !
I am an experienced RC pilot. I have been at this for 6 years now. I am almost 75. I started out with a lot of different foamies and got good enough to move up to 48 inch then 60 inch Extreme Flight planes. I got the Extra 300 and have close to 20 flights on it. I really like this plane. I fly with a 4s 2500 with battery moved forward where the back strap still is usable. This plane does it all well if you have some experience. Lots of bang for your buck!
Carl
Aug 11, 2020, 12:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Me here
I am an experienced RC pilot. I have been at this for 6 years now. I am almost 75. I started out with a lot of different foamies and got good enough to move up to 48 inch then 60 inch Extreme Flight planes. I got the Extra 300 and have close to 20 flights on it. I really like this plane. I fly with a 4s 2500 with battery moved forward where the back strap still is usable. This plane does it all well if you have some experience. Lots of bang for your buck!
Carl
My batteries are Roaringtop 4S 3300mAh 35C , weighting about 310gr. I put full forward till firewall and no issues about CoG.
Aug 12, 2020, 10:12 PM
AA6JB
The peer pressure at the club was too great ... I am in for an Extra!
Aug 13, 2020, 06:29 PM

You will be happy!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bajora
Aug 13, 2020, 11:02 PM
Don’t forget the 20oz of lead in nose to get the CG right. With my 2200 4s it balances at 130mm!!!
Aug 13, 2020, 11:49 PM
AA6JB
I’ve got plenty of larger capacity packs (read as heavier) that I plan to use.
Aug 14, 2020, 09:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bajora
You will enjoy it as it is a great flying plane.
Aug 14, 2020, 10:14 PM
Maiden flight went well. Felt very tail heavy at 115mm. Under any throttle just climbs

Anyway my tail wheel sucks. It moved by itself. Any idea how I built it wrong?? I did some nice landings but as it's rolling the smallest pavement makes it jump!!

Maybe landing on grass bettee

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Aug 15, 2020, 08:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocACE911
Maiden flight went well. Felt very tail heavy at 115mm. Under any throttle just climbs

Anyway my tail wheel sucks. It moved by itself. Any idea how I built it wrong?? I did some nice landings but as it's rolling the smallest pavement makes it jump!!

Maybe landing on grass bettee

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Congrats on the maiden!

What were you using for battery packs? I flew my maiden last week with 3S 2200 packs, and it was climbing as you described even below half throttle. I got it back on the ground and adjusted the elevator with down trim. Subsequent flights were much better.

Did you get the wire on the top of the tail wheel inserted into the rudder when you glued on the rudder?

Carl
Aug 15, 2020, 09:02 AM
Was using 4s 2200 spectrum shoved all the way forward. Balanced at 110.

So my tail shell is in the hole but it rotates on its own . It’s like it moved up and down and when it moves up you can rotate it 90 and then locks in that spot. I think on landing a small
Bounce it twists so straight rudder is 90!

I can’t believe how fun it is flying a slower plane that is so maneuverable. Been a decade. So different from my 110mph F-27

Turned off safe did some nice coordinated turns etc. some rolls and Immelmann .

Damn I was so nervous flying $300 . Thank godis the paint job so good!! So easy to see when rolling the Engle

Tried some semi knife edge (70 degrees maybe) but tail dropped bad

Thinking of 2700mah spectrum as 2800
Turning sold out. Also tired of dealing with battery care... willing to pay a premium
For auto discharge and storage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Aug 15, 2020, 10:31 AM
Yeah - I'm looking for new batteries too and saw that the Turnigy 4S 2800s are sold out in the US warehouse. I haven't made the jump to Spektrum batteries yet. Still looking for a deal

I'm confused as to how your tail wheel rotates - can you take a pic?
Aug 15, 2020, 12:39 PM
You guys with new planes wanting to climb and needed down trim, take a look at you engine thrust line. Mine flew with the same tendencies (3200 4S forward); climbing under power. My engine had no down thrust, but a couple of washers under the top two screws did improve things greatly. Same info in earlier post from me with pictures in this thread. The bottom two motor mount bosses on the firewall where "proud" contributing to the no down thrust trouble. Dunno if the plane should come with a little down and this flaw prevents it, or HH thinks it's good with no down thrust. Sure works better for me with some down thrust.
Aug 16, 2020, 07:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyattSpurgin
You guys with new planes wanting to climb and needed down trim, take a look at you engine thrust line. Mine flew with the same tendencies (3200 4S forward); climbing under power. My engine had no down thrust, but a couple of washers under the top two screws did improve things greatly. Same info in earlier post from me with pictures in this thread. The bottom two motor mount bosses on the firewall where "proud" contributing to the no down thrust trouble. Dunno if the plane should come with a little down and this flaw prevents it, or HH thinks it's good with no down thrust. Sure works better for me with some down thrust.
Thanks - I'll check that out.
Aug 16, 2020, 03:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfossa
Thanks - I'll check that out.

Agree. Need to figure out how to get the nose cone off!!

Any backup prop recommendations? Keep same pitch and go plastic APC?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quick Reply