Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Jan 11, 2019, 03:57 AM
Discussion

Building a plane, should it be a pusher or kept as a glider?

I just grabbed some foam, a razor, and started makin this with no idea what i was gonna make, the forward sweep in the wing is accidental but im just gonna go with it. Cant decide whether i want to make it a glider or mount a pusher prop. I'll post it here when its finished.
to remove ads between posts
Jan 11, 2019, 04:07 AM
Forgot to mention, the tail surfaces are made from foam dinner plates and the main wing is DTFB with its paper removed from either side, sanded to make it a bit more aerodynamic, but if i cared about that a whole lot i would have made a real airfoil rather than just a single fold down the wing. Guess we will see how it works.

I brushed mod podge (waterd down white glue) on the wing to help protect it, and will be airbrushing it to seal it
Jan 11, 2019, 08:09 AM
I Look, Listen, and Learn
I'm assuming you are thinking of a pusher motor mounted just behind the wing. Looks like you will have to mount it fairly high to avoid the prop hitting on the cf fuse. And considering how light the tail is I think a tractor motor is out without adding a lot of weight to the rear to balance it.
Jan 11, 2019, 12:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timbo383
I'm assuming you are thinking of a pusher motor mounted just behind the wing. Looks like you will have to mount it fairly high to avoid the prop hitting on the cf fuse. And considering how light the tail is I think a tractor motor is out without adding a lot of weight to the rear to balance it.

Im thinking ill have to build the fuselage up a bit more on top, which will put the wings bit higher from the cf fuse therefore the motor mount lower, And you're right about the tractor motor im trying to keep it as light as possible.
Jan 11, 2019, 01:16 PM
Why not make a removable power pod, with a tractor configuration, mounted above the wing? Mounted with rubber bands around the tail boom at the trailing edge, then stretched forward to a dowel, through the fuselage pod, parallel with the leading edge of the wing. The rubber bands would cover a plate that conforms to the contour of the wing. You could even make a pod that you could used in either the pusher or tractor configuration to test results of each position. Just remember to add a little up thrust on the tractor, and down thrust on the pusher.

Making the pod removable would allow you to have the best of both worlds.

Putting anymore weight behind the CG will require significantly more weight up front. Especially with such a short nose moment. With a set up like this you could place it on the CG in either configuration.

Check out the video below. Skip to 2:30 mark to see construction of power pod. (obviously this is for a glow engine on a larger glider, but could easily be done with electric as well.)

My two cents, Brad

Scen Dalmation Lady RC Model Glider Build Pt8 RC Model Geeks (7 min 10 sec)
Last edited by cbalgra; Jan 11, 2019 at 01:57 PM.
Jan 12, 2019, 01:12 PM
Flying a Falcon or a 3D model.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbalgra

Putting anymore weight behind the CG will require significantly more weight up front. Especially with such a short nose moment. With a set up like this you could place it on the CG in either configuration.

[/url]
+1

I would not be surprised that a 20 gr. motor like a 2204 or 2205 mounted at the nose and a small 400-600mah 2S give you a correct CG and enough power to climb, stop the motor and thermal few times. Where do you want to fix the servos ?
Jan 12, 2019, 11:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by fauconnier
+1

I would not be surprised that a 20 gr. motor like a 2204 or 2205 mounted at the nose and a small 400-600mah 2S give you a correct CG and enough power to climb, stop the motor and thermal few times. Where do you want to fix the servos ?
I CA'd the carbon tail boom to the top plate of old multirotor frame that was broken, which over hangs the back of the fuselage, the servos will go there on the bottom side. i cut 2 notches out in the fuselage for servo/motor wires before laminating the last couple pieces on each side, so im thinking only the esc reciever and battery will be in the fuse
Jan 13, 2019, 08:16 AM
Flying a Falcon or a 3D model.
Servos will be a little behind the CG. Test your design with weights before. Correct CG is essential. Static margin 10.

https://rcplanes.online/cg_calc.htm
Jan 13, 2019, 12:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbalgra
Why not make a removable power pod, with a tractor configuration, mounted above the wing?

Making the pod removable would allow you to have the best of both worlds.
Awesome idea i really appreciate your input, thats definitely what im thinking of doing now, ive even got an .049 engine i kinda want to use now just for the hell of it lol.

Edit: definitely not going with the .049
Last edited by Tyler121; Jan 13, 2019 at 04:04 PM.

Quick Reply