Just Plane Nutts
Worth the effort....Looks great.
Latest blog entry: My You-Tube channel
to remove ads between posts
Feb 16, 2019, 08:53 PM
Skid Row Gang Flyer
Thread OP

Update

Here's where the wine ended today's work....
Feb 17, 2019, 10:44 PM
Skid Row Gang Flyer
Thread OP
A little more progress.
Feb 20, 2019, 01:40 PM
Skid Row Gang Flyer
Thread OP
I'm headed over to my laser-cutting guy's house in about an hour with enough wood to cut four more Atlas models. My plan? I'm going to make four 100% complete kits with all the hardware, motors, ESCs, wire drives, propshafts, propellers,..... everything. Just add your glue, paint, battery, and receiver.

Anyone interested?
Feb 20, 2019, 10:27 PM
Skid Row Gang Flyer
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Jet
............. Anyone interested?
Don't everybody jump up at the same time now.......
Feb 21, 2019, 02:23 AM
Just Plane Nutts
Heh-heh.

I wish I had the time. Just don't have. Thanks anyway.

Have you considered making the offer on a page in the forum's boats classified section? That's where you find most of the members looking to buy stuff.

Consider also offering kits without motor, ESC or propeller too, for people who like to select their own power or wish to use what they already have on hand. The hardware, drivetrain and rudder would be welcomed by all, I'm sure.
Latest blog entry: My You-Tube channel
Feb 21, 2019, 09:00 AM
Skid Row Gang Flyer
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirDOGGe
Heh-heh.
Funny!

Quote:
Have you considered making the offer on a page in the forum's boats classified section? That's where you find most of the members looking to buy stuff.
When everything is 100% ready, I will.

Quote:
Consider also offering kits without motor, ESC or propeller too, for people who like to select their own power or wish to use what they already have on hand. The hardware, drivetrain and rudder would be welcomed by all, I'm sure.
I could easily pull those items from the kits and re-price accordingly, but those items are surprisingly cheap.
Feb 23, 2019, 04:20 AM
Nitro User
I am down for a kit less motor hardware as i will be going with a small 1/2A engine =)
I wouid also be interested in two of those machined brass drive line reducers to the
strut. I have two of those small struts that could use the speed upgrade.
I use Jeff Wohltz .125" stub shafts and associated wire drive .062"

Also per last pic is that a mini thrust bearings I am seeing?
If so where did you source them do you have a link?

Jeffs site:

http://www.rcraceboat.com/Storewiredrive.html

Last edited by 1/2A Nut; Feb 23, 2019 at 05:23 AM.
Feb 23, 2019, 10:33 AM
Skid Row Gang Flyer
Thread OP
A 1/2A engine?? I can see all kinds of problems there. You will have to reinforce the bottom of the hull so that you don't tear it out trying to start the little sucker; it's only 1/16" balsa. I have the motor secured to several spots to spread the load. Then there's the issue of throttle. How are you going to slow it down if it wants to blow over?

Yes, those are Octura 1/8" thrust washers. I bought a bunch of them more than a decade ago. I'm not certain they are still available. Is Octura still in business?

You have no idea what a pain in the a$$ it was to make that brass nosecone. Having to angle the cross slide on the lathe for one operation then having to square it up again for the next. Finding the exact diameter on the taper to cut the step to fit inside the cone. They aren't worth the cost to make, otherwise I would have included them in the kits. The kits come with a plastic piece that can be turned into shape using an electric drill and a file. That plastic piece is actually a carbon tube endcap from CST (http://www.cstsales.com/a-carbon-fiber-pushrods.html).
Feb 23, 2019, 11:47 PM
Nitro User
Yes would have to be a lower power setup sub 120w engine backed up with thin sheet ply around the engine bay.
No worries on the brass nose cone for the strut. How many watts is your power setup, Kv of engine batter size
voltage etc. and amps for the esc? I am in the pondering stage I guess with this low weight with a Norvel .061
would make a good small pond runner.

No telling if Octura still carries the 1/8" thrust washer with bearings.

Some info on Octura sure be nice if they had a web site.
Since 1954

OCTURA MODELS INC
Thomas Perzentka, President
7351 Hamlin Avenue
Skokie
IL 60076-3998
Phone: (847) 674-7351

Factory front view very humble low key not set up for walk in's
Original vintage sticker.
Last edited by 1/2A Nut; Feb 23, 2019 at 11:59 PM.
Feb 24, 2019, 01:47 AM
Skid Row Gang Flyer
Thread OP
I'm using a 3550Kv helicopter outrunner motor with a 30amp ESC and a 2S LiPo of between 1500 and 2000 mah. A whole lot simpler than trying to slip an internal combustion engine in there. and I'm not certain how the wire drive would hold up to the power pulses of an IC engine either.
Feb 24, 2019, 02:21 AM
Nitro User
It holds up well see one of my test vids 1/2A car engine converted
for one of my rigger designs, .062 wire drive.

1st Run - Picco P-Zero Outrigger Hydro Profi Tuned Pipe (6 min 43 sec)

Last edited by 1/2A Nut; Feb 24, 2019 at 02:46 AM.
Feb 24, 2019, 09:50 AM
Skid Row Gang Flyer
Thread OP
I'm using a 1/32" wire drive....
Last edited by Dr. Jet; Feb 24, 2019 at 11:22 AM. Reason: Add Photo
Feb 25, 2019, 01:56 AM
Nitro User
.031 in or .79mm that is small what size prop?
Feb 25, 2019, 10:08 AM
Skid Row Gang Flyer
Thread OP
0.03125" wire with 0.0625" stainless steel tube at either end. Starting with a 27mm prop but will work up to an X632 maximum if temperatures and speeds are acceptable. I suspect a cut down and DT X632 will give the best results.

My twin cat runs similar Kv motors and .031 wire drives with X430 de-tongued and the motors barely get warm, and the boat is on the verge of being an airplane.
Last edited by Dr. Jet; Feb 25, 2019 at 10:15 AM.

Quick Reply