Jan 24, 2019, 11:28 AM
Good looking Cook+Maid needed
Very interesting thread! Fellow Boomer onboard
to remove ads between posts
Jan 24, 2019, 02:33 PM
71% of the world is runway . .
Quote:
Originally Posted by parkcityskier
I just finished the elevator linkage and got the mount for the tail wheel in so, yes, back to the skinning.
Alec
The elevators plug in on each side. The elevator control horn is soldered to a tube which goes to each side of the fuselage. On each end of the tube there is a rod soldered into the tube and the ends of the rods are bent to 90 degrees. When the stabs, with their elevators are plugged in the bent rod sits in a deep slot in the root ribs of each elevator.

Bart got me doing it this way when I built his Empire flying boat. Maybe he’ll chime in with a picture. Otherwise, I’ll post one when I have the parts built.

Jim

Sure

Bart
Jan 24, 2019, 02:55 PM
Parkcityflier
Thread OP
Thanks, Bart. This A-1 build using foam is a new experience for me so I'm using it to fill in the cold winter months. I'm still on track for having my Fokker DVII ready to fly in April. Just waiting for some parts for it. The Do-24 will also be ready for a water fly in June so I'm looking for a real variety to fly this year.

Jim
Jan 24, 2019, 03:39 PM
Bart, Jim, thanks for that! Looks very precise! Always nice to see a different idea.

Alec
Jan 24, 2019, 11:40 PM
Parkcityflier
Thread OP
Looks good and works very well. What more could anyone ask for.
I've finished up the MAF skinning on the fuselage and will be concentrating my efforts on the fin for right now. I'm putting off working on the front end until I really have to. On the A-1 it's the hardest thing to duplicate. Thankfully, following behind J I have something to guide me on how to do it. Pictures later.

Flyerdave, always glad to find another Boomer. Good luck with the ladies!

Jim
Jan 25, 2019, 07:10 AM
EB-66C Team Member
That is a great way to do the stab. I had thought about it but I decided to go twin servos on the elevators.
The front end is tough to do and mine isn't exactly scale but should look good enough. The cowl is what catches your eye mostly, thankfully.

J
Jan 25, 2019, 10:00 AM
Parkcityflier
Thread OP
When I do something one way and it works well I tend to do it the same way when I have the opportunity. I'm going to continue working on the fin and then eventually start the balsa skin. My plan is to have the fuselage pretty well done before I tackle the complex front end.

Jim
Jan 25, 2019, 03:27 PM
EB-66C Team Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by parkcityskier
When I do something one way and it works well I tend to do it the same way when I have the opportunity. I'm going to continue working on the fin and then eventually start the balsa skin. My plan is to have the fuselage pretty well done before I tackle the complex front end.

Jim
I'm pretty much the same. Find something that works, why not?

J
Jan 26, 2019, 08:42 PM
Parkcityflier
Thread OP
I'm finished with the MAF sheeting on the fuselage and am now working on the fin. It's a complex transition on the fuselage from the body to the fin but I'm working it out. The internal structure of the fin is complete so I'm just about ready to do some of the balsa sheeting over the MAF. I'll probably wait on doing the rudder and elevators until I get a good start on the nose of the fuselage. If I need a break from that I can do some building on those control surfaces on the side. For the nose of the fuselage I'm going to try using some foam blocks for the hard part under the cowl flaps. I need to also start building up the hard points for the motor mounting and think about starting the build for the cowl. I plan to build it up with a combination of MAF and wood. Should be interesting.

Jim.
Jan 26, 2019, 09:27 PM
When cows fly!
Looking good!
Jan 27, 2019, 05:07 AM
71% of the world is runway . .
You're making good progress Jim! starting to look like a spad

Cheers,

Bart
Jan 27, 2019, 05:46 AM
EB-66C Team Member
Just what I was going to say, now you can see the Spad in her.

J
Jan 27, 2019, 10:26 AM
Parkcityflier
Thread OP
You're right, guys. When I just had a box frame it wasn't very exciting but as the build progressed
it began to take on a life that makes me really want to get it done. The front end of the fuselage will be a big step forward when I get it done.

Jim
Jan 27, 2019, 11:42 AM
EB-66C Team Member
Gotta keep that motivation.

J
Jan 28, 2019, 07:42 PM
Parkcityflier
Thread OP
I have the first course of the balsa sheeting glued on the fuselage now. I have to say that I'm really getting to like J's technique of putting down a MAF skin and then sheeting over it with balsa. It really makes for a stiff structure, and very light, too. Once the glue was dry I put the bottom skin on. In this area, I did not use the MAF first but just used a sheet of balsa. The fuselage is plenty strong without the extra layer here and it saves a little weight. I did it the same way for the last section of the fuselage and will also do the fin the same way.
Once the bottom skin was done I shaved the corners off where the sides meets the bottom skin and then laid a strip of soft 3'16: balsa here. When it was set I was able to carve this strip to make the bottom corners of the fuselage rounded. I also carved the bottom at the rear to make the recess for the tailhook later.

I'll keep working on the fin and then start on the nose. I'm at 13 oz right now but there are some heavier pieces that have to go in up front so I'm guessing about 24 oz for the fuselage when I am done

Jim

Quick Reply