Sep 14, 2019, 10:45 PM
Parkcityflier
Thread OP
Hopefully now there is enough clearance to handle any real thumpers. Packing up tomorrow and then on the road on Monday.

Jim
to remove ads between posts
Sep 21, 2019, 03:23 AM
Aw Jim! Saw Hans' video. Hopefully not too much work to repair. Looked very impressive in flight.

Tricky old business these maiden flights

Alec
Sep 21, 2019, 08:27 AM
71% of the world is runway . .
Hi Jim , congrats on the maiden. Hope the damage is not to much.

Cheers,

Bart

A1 maiden flight crash (1 min 35 sec)
Sep 21, 2019, 12:58 PM
PSALM 14:1
Sorry to see the damage there Jim.

How was it in the air? Fly as good as it looked?
Sep 21, 2019, 08:23 PM
Parkcityflier
Thread OP
The damage is minor. Just some cosmetic issues to deal with and, unfortunately, two new landing gear. The overall issue was the CG. I had set at what I thought would be a conservative 26% MAC but it turned out that this still left the A-1 tail heavy. I had decided to let Birger, a good friend of J’s and an excellent pilot, do the maiden for me. On takeoff it was immediately apparent that the A-1 was in trouble. He was having to use most of the down elevator available just to hold the airplane level. He did a great job bringing it back and we almost got away with it but a last minute pitch down with a recoil that sent it into a stall, with final result. The cowl/ motor tray was designed to be removable and the heavy motor’s bulkhead separated also. Also this spared the fuselage from any serious damage. It will fly again and I am now confident that it will fly well once adjustments are made. Such is the way it is with scratch building.

Jim
Sep 21, 2019, 10:30 PM
EB-66C Team Member
It will be an excellent flier once you have her dialed in. When I get home I will figure the % I have the CG at on my Spad and let you know.
And you nailed it, scratch building has all kinds of pitfalls, ups and downs,highs and lows.
But that's what makes it so rewarding when you finally get all the problems solved.
Your Spad is going to be a great flying plane soon.

J
Sep 22, 2019, 10:04 PM
Jim,

Your A-1 looked great in the air and i'm sure you'll get it sorted out. For those following Jim's thread and this style of scratch building i brought out an ESM A-1 it is barely 2" longer in wingspan, Jim's A-1 weighs about 10 lbs my ESM version weighs about 20lbs!!!!!!
As i understand it this is Jim's first try at this style of building technique!!!!!
It looked beautiful in person.

al
Sep 22, 2019, 11:40 PM
Oh c**p! Sorry to see that Jim! Glad the damage is fixable I'm sure you'll get her to fly as sweet as she looks!

Sep 24, 2019, 04:16 PM
Parkcityflier
Thread OP
Back home now. I'm going to let the A-1 sit for a spell but the damage will only take a couple of hours to fix. Really minor stuff. The big job will be to get the CG sorted out and install a new set of retracts. The FMS retracts weren't up to the job. Maybe asking too much of them. I'm going to replace them with metal ESM knock offs which should be better. Not too many flying days left here most likely but my goal is to have at least one satisfactory flight on it and then put it away until St. George 2020.

Jim
Sep 25, 2019, 09:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by parkcityskier
Back home now. I'm going to let the A-1 sit for a spell but the damage will only take a couple of hours to fix. Really minor stuff. The big job will be to get the CG sorted out and install a new set of retracts. The FMS retracts weren't up to the job. Maybe asking too much of them. I'm going to replace them with metal ESM knock offs which should be better. Not too many flying days left here most likely but my goal is to have at least one satisfactory flight on it and then put it away until St. George 2020.

Jim
I'm home now too. Were the retracts damaged? I thought they just got knocked out of the wings.

CR
Sep 25, 2019, 09:18 AM
Parkcityflier
Thread OP
The retracts were actually damaged. The mounts were okay but the mechanism couldn't take the load.

Jim
Sep 25, 2019, 10:17 AM
Quote:
The retracts were actually damaged. The mounts were okay but the mechanism couldn't take the load.

Jim
I'll be doggoned! Well, the model will fly again and it looks superb on the ground and in the air.

CR
Sep 25, 2019, 10:34 AM
Parkcityflier
Thread OP
I ordered some all metal retracts that should be more robust.

Jim
Sep 25, 2019, 05:47 PM
EB-66C Team Member
Quote:
I ordered some all metal retracts that should be more robust.

Jim
Jim,
Remind me when I get home and unloaded t check the CG on my spad, then you can compare it to yours.

J
Sep 25, 2019, 11:13 PM
Parkcityflier
Thread OP
Thanks, J. It won't take much to get the plane going again. Pretty minor damages won't take long to fix. The retracts are the big thing and I've ordered what I think will be better ones for the job.
My next project will be a WWI aircraft. Thread to start later but no retracts or doors for sure. However, if you believe this, I'm thinking of ordering a set of the Ziroli plans for the big A-1 for some time in the future as a build! Not sure if it will happen but if it does I'll be building a dupe of yours. Your Spad kinda knocked me over. With the three piece wing it's really not any harder to move around than my smaller one is now.

Jim

Quick Reply