Jan 20, 2019, 09:32 AM
Parkcityflier
Thread OP
Thanks for that tip. I've had occasions when it's been hard to find the white GG so I'll have to check out eBay as a backup source.

Jim
to remove ads between posts
Jan 20, 2019, 10:50 AM
EB-66C Team Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by parkcityskier
Thanks for that tip. I've had occasions when it's been hard to find the white GG so I'll have to check out eBay as a backup source.

Jim
Also Amazon and Walmart. If you go to Walmart, they usually have both brown and clear( white) and very good prices in store.

J
Jan 20, 2019, 11:38 AM
Parkcityflier
Thread OP
Thanks. That's what is so great about these forums. Somebody always comes up with an answer to any question.

Jim
Jan 21, 2019, 01:49 PM
Parkcityflier
Thread OP
I added some more MAF skin to the area over the wing saddle and the cockpit. I've found that applying a little heat to the MAF before I put it on lets me make a pre formed curve and makes it easier to glue it down. Before I put down any more skin I want to install the elevator control mechanism. The elevators will be actuated from a control horn and internal pushrod from a servo up front. The L and R stabs will be plug ins from either side of the fuselage and held in place with rare earth magnets. I've used this system on other builds and it works well. I also want to building a mount for the retractable tailwheel. With the mount in I can build up the tailwheel and then install it later.

Jim
Jan 21, 2019, 01:56 PM
EB-66C Team Member
Going to do the same thing on my tailwheel. Make an assembly that I can mount and remove if needed for maintenance.

J
Jan 21, 2019, 04:05 PM
Classic jets rule
WoW making some great progress. I am not sure about MAF ..but depron had a grain to t and would form to curves better one way than the other . does MAF do the same ?
Jan 21, 2019, 04:12 PM
Parkcityflier
Thread OP
I don't know about the grain. So far, the curves have been pretty gentle so it didn't matter. I may try a cowl using MAF so I could look for a grain then.

J, what I am going for in the tailwheel retract is to have it mount in a sort of a box then this box would slide up into a tight fitting box that is built into the fuselage bottom. Still thinking about it, though.

Jim
Jan 21, 2019, 04:41 PM
EB-66C Team Member
MPF does have a little grain to it but not near as demanding as Depron. It is so much easier to bend than Depron, doesn't need all that packing tape crap associated with Depron.

Jim,
Haven't really thought how I would mount my tailwheel assembly yet, figure I will cross that bridge when I come to it.

J
Jan 21, 2019, 06:41 PM
Parkcityflier
Thread OP
I’m just dealing with it now because of the way that I am building this A-1 it’s easier to work it out while the fuselage is still pretty open back there.

Jim
Jan 21, 2019, 09:18 PM
EB-66C Team Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by parkcityskier
Iím just dealing with it now because of the way that I am building this A-1 itís easier to work it out while the fuselage is still pretty open back there.

Jim
I probably should have too at that stage Jim but was in too big of a hurry to get to the stab and wing. I will most likely cut a section out for a hatch where it will be easy to access for installation and if it ever needs worked on. It's on the bottom so shouldn't be that noticeable.

J
Jan 23, 2019, 11:55 AM
Parkcityflier
Thread OP
I installed the elevator actuating mechanism and the platform for the plug in L and R stabs. The elevator will be actuated via a pushrod from a servo located in the wing saddle area of the fuselage. The stabs plug into the fuselage using nesting CF rods within CF square tubes and will be held in place with rare earth magnets. I also mocked up a tailwheel and once the mounting is put into the fuselage I can finish the MAP sheeting. I also put a vertical spar in for the fin and will start building the fin next.

Jim
Jan 23, 2019, 04:08 PM
Interesting elevator arrangement Jim. What do you have to connect the elevators without much backlash?

Alec
Jan 23, 2019, 04:11 PM
EB-66C Team Member
Nice work Jim. Bet your anxious to get some more skin on.

J
Jan 23, 2019, 06:10 PM
Parkcityflier
Thread OP
I just finished the elevator linkage and got the mount for the tail wheel in so, yes, back to the skinning.
Alec
The elevators plug in on each side. The elevator control horn is soldered to a tube which goes to each side of the fuselage. On each end of the tube there is a rod soldered into the tube and the ends of the rods are bent to 90 degrees. When the stabs, with their elevators are plugged in the bent rod sits in a deep slot in the root ribs of each elevator.

Bart got me doing it this way when I built his Empire flying boat. Maybe he’ll chime in with a picture. Otherwise, I’ll post one when I have the parts built.

Jim
Jan 23, 2019, 08:48 PM
When cows fly!
Looking good!

Quick Reply