Jan 09, 2019, 07:15 PM
Parkcityflier
Thread OP
Build Log

Another A-1 Skyraider electric

Welcome aboard. You're on a Navy site now.
I've been a big fan of what J. Morgan has been doing with his style of building for quite awhile now and when he decided to do another A-1 Skyraider I decided that I wanted to do another one too. J's was a little too big for me so I picked up a set of 1/9 plans and I'm going to use those as a basis of a new design. I'm temporarily grounded from some recent surgery so having a new project will be a good day filler. For the next week or so my build will be primarily bringing the plans that I have up to a buildable state since I plan to use a lot of J's techniques for the first time on this build. I'm finding a lot of scale errors on the plans so I'll also be correcting those. At the time that these plans were drawn scale accuracy was less important than having a plane that flew. This is not going to be super scale for me but correcting things like making the control surfaces the correct size and having them operate in a more scale manner than the plans show. The general outlines of the plans look pretty close so I won't need to do much about that. Starting from a pre drawn plan will save time even with the time taken to bring them closer to scale.
J will have his A-1, the Spad, in the AF scheme of the Sandys and I'll do the Navy scheme with the markings of the squadron that I was in. In two deployments to Vietnam we lost four aircraft and left one man behind so I'll try to dedicate this Spad to him.

Should be a fun build and a new learning experience for me. I won't be posting much until I get to the actual build, hopefully soon.

Jim
to remove ads between posts
Jan 09, 2019, 07:56 PM
EB-66C Team Member
Sweet! Glad you started the thread Jim. Can't wait to see what you do with it.
And great that you can honor your fallen shipmate. Gives me another thread to follow too!
I'll be watching closely in case you come up with a better idea on things. Two heads are always better than one and a fresh
set of eyes never hurts a thing.

J
Jan 09, 2019, 10:22 PM
sub'd, back in the weeds!

Jerry
Jan 09, 2019, 11:22 PM
When cows fly!
Jan 09, 2019, 11:46 PM
EB-66C Team Member
Very cool, Jim!

I'll be watching your progress.
Jan 09, 2019, 11:58 PM
Classic jets rule
Go Jim, I'll be following along with interest.
Jan 10, 2019, 07:45 AM
Subbed

raipe
Jan 10, 2019, 08:52 AM
Mike
Awesome!
Jan 10, 2019, 10:21 AM
I'm sub'd too. Also on J. Morgan's. I have started my own Skyraider, about the same size as yours Jim.

Mel B.
Jan 10, 2019, 11:04 AM
EB-66C Team Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by N114RV
I'm sub'd too. Also on J. Morgan's. I have started my own Skyraider, about the same size as yours Jim.

Mel B.
Great! We're slowly working up to a full squadron!

J
Jan 10, 2019, 11:10 AM
I'm in! Watching with interest :-)
Jan 10, 2019, 11:22 AM
Jan 10, 2019, 12:42 PM
Parkcityflier
Thread OP
I think that you really have got something started here, J. Like you say, a squadron soon.
I'm still working on my plans, correcting mistakes and adding some details that were glossed over on the original plans. I'm also doing some calculations to give me targets to shoot for. Based on the relative sizes of J's and my plane I will try to have all my build weights about 65% of his. With J posting weights as he goes along this will give me a good idea on how I am doing using a new technique that I have never tried before. I also ran some numbers to give me some target weights for the AUW. I estimate the heavy stuff (prop, motor, ESC, battery, and retracts) to be
3 1/2 Lb. so I am going to shoot for an AUW of between 6 and 8 Lbs just for a start. I've done one quick motor run with a 16x6 two bladed prop and a 4S pack and was getting about 1000W. I want to build a four bladed prop and continue more tests with both props and with different size battery packs. The wing area of the plane is about 733 sq in. So, with my target weight range I would expect a power loading of 125-166 W/Lb, and a wing loading of 19-25 oz/sq ft. For an airplane of this size I would have a Wing Cube Loading (WCL) of 8.4-11.1 which puts me in the lightly loaded category. This is all guesswork at this point because I haven't even started to build but it gives me confidence that a good flying airplane is possible at the end. Hope to start building soon.

Jim
Jan 10, 2019, 05:01 PM
Pro Hoarder
Very cool...Love the Raider..Watching...Do you know if your friend was ever recovered?..RIP
Latest blog entry: In flight
Jan 10, 2019, 05:36 PM
Parkcityflier
Thread OP
No, the pilot that we lost was on a night action along the coast and the two planes were under fire as they made a bombing run. His wingman observed an explosion just offshore and there were no distress calls afterwards. I had the first morning mission the next day and was briefed on the location so that I could try to see any evidence at the crash site. I had my wingman stay high and advise me of any AAA coming at me while I went low and made several passes in the area with no sightings of anything. The pilot was officially listed as MIA then changed to KIA but no remains were ever returned. He still rests in Vietnam.

Jim

Quick Reply