Jan 09, 2019, 04:13 PM
Discussion

Best bang for buck for $250-300<ideally from China as I'm in the UK)

Been out of the game for many years.

Just got my 5 year old a 12428 WLTOYS and was blown away for the quality of what $60 buys in 2019

So wanting to get back into it myself having not had one since a Traxxas Revo,

I was considering a Basher from hobby King then I saw the ZD pirates 2,v3 on YouTube

So I thought the best thing was to ask the experts, looking for something fast, strong and bags of fun.

Thanks everyone
to remove ads between posts
Jan 09, 2019, 04:25 PM
Hi,
similar question to mine 2weeks ago.
Have a look at this thread:
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...c#post40808819

Falko
Jan 09, 2019, 04:43 PM
Joker, smoker, midnight talker
How about a DHK Zombie or the somewhat new 1/8 ZD Racing? Or the Cheetah or the Bison? That kinda seems to be the trucks in that price point.

I myself is looking longing at the ZD Racing but no, no more monster trucks until I have a scale crawler.
Jan 09, 2019, 05:37 PM
The DHK Zombie looks good what's its like vs say the the ZD pirate 3,mk3?
Jan 09, 2019, 06:41 PM
Actually the Bison looks incredible, but I can't seem to find spares it upgrades?
Jan 09, 2019, 06:56 PM
The Pirate 3 has to be the ZD truck I'm talking about. This ? It looks like it comes with different electronics so it's hard to say how good it really is. This one has a 120 amp ESC and a 1800KV 4068 motor with a 4S battery. That one will of course be faster and stronger than the one with a 2150KV 4274 motor running on only 2S. There's also a roller.

The Zombie is just The Zombie. On paper, it looks like a "middle of the road" version of all the Pirate models.

I think and I guess that the 9116 is more value for money since you get it with 4S, The Zombie is just 3S even though the ESC prolly will take 4S. And the 9116 is, for me, ten bucks less. But then again, even with the wing I think The Zombie looks way better.

But it's really a first world problem. I think any of those trucks will be fine. What you should do, is start looking for spares for either truck locally. For me, local part support isn't a dealbreaker but it can be a dealmaker.

The Zombie has at least one thread so go check it out. The 9116 should also have at least one.
Jan 09, 2019, 07:01 PM
The Zombie and the 9116 are eight scale and the Bison is ten scale, so it's a bit smaller. But from what I gather, it's about as fun as.. just about any Chinese car in that price point. One truck will be better at things A through D while it sucks on K, P and W but the other truck shines in P through Q but is only kinda alright at things A through D.

It's very much like buying a laptop. Just pick a price point and either choice will most likely be just as good as the next.
Jan 09, 2019, 09:15 PM
The Zombie is a very good truck, fast and durable on 3s. One positive for it is that it only needs a single lipo, not a dual set up like some of the similar trucks do.
Latest blog entry: My RC Garage: Boats
Jan 10, 2019, 04:23 AM
Is the Helion Avenge 10 MT a accessible truck for you? Might want to look into that. It comes with a crappy Nicad battery, but it looks like it rocks on 3s lipo.
Jan 10, 2019, 05:40 AM
I can get a "Helion" yes but what would that offer over a cheaper 9116 or Zombie?

Thanks
Jan 10, 2019, 06:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by axhole
Is the Helion Avenge 10 MT a accessible truck for you? Might want to look into that. It comes with a crappy Nicad battery, but it looks like it rocks on 3s lipo.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shutter_up
I can get a "Helion" yes but what would that offer over a cheaper 9116 or Zombie?

Thanks
I have a OEM Helion Inviticus, with some aluminium hop-ups. And for the money, about 180 bucks, it's such a great truck but it shows that it's a truck in the sub 200 price point. I mostly got it because it's set up to hydroplane out of the box. I would totally recommend it if your price roof was 200 but like I've been saying; For about 300 it's the 9116 or the Zombie for me. Or perhaps the DHK Maximus.

Many people seem to enjoy the E-Revoesque style of the JLB Cheetah and Vkar Bison, and the cars as well. But for me, that style just reminds me of scumbag Traxxas.
Jan 10, 2019, 07:26 AM
Scumbag Traxxas?
Jan 10, 2019, 10:11 AM
As a kid I owned a Tamiya Blackfoot, as an adult I owned a HPI Savage and Traxxas Revointhinknid actually prefer something closer to the Revo than the Savage

Whats the parts and upgrades like for the JLB or Vkar? Anything else similar to consider at that price?
Jan 10, 2019, 10:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shutter_up
Scumbag Traxxas?
They're patent trolls who rather compete money in court rather than with good value and innovative design. They went to court with Helions parent company over a rubber ring to seal a receiver box. A piece of rubber gasket. It's been a thing for a while now. They also tried sue for cantilever shocks. Pretty old inventions.

They also harassed the RC Saylors, a small family friendly channel that mostly review affordable Chinese alternatives to Traxxas.

Scumbags.
Jan 10, 2019, 11:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by naDah
They're patent trolls who rather compete money in court rather than with good value and innovative design. They went to court with Helions parent company over a rubber ring to seal a receiver box. A piece of rubber gasket. It's been a thing for a while now. They also tried sue for cantilever shocks. Pretty old inventions.

They also harassed the RC Saylors, a small family friendly channel that mostly review affordable Chinese alternatives to Traxxas.

Scumbags.

Wow thats shocking behavior, I think i need something that looks like a Traxxas, but is better and doesn't give Traxxas a penny of my Money then

Quick Reply