Jan 09, 2019, 01:14 AM
Time for me to Fly...
Discussion

First time CD recommendations

Iíve been an AMA CD for a number of years but for various reasons, I never ran a contest. Iíve decided itís time to step up and run an F3K contest this year. Itís not until late June but I want to start getting ready for it now..... because I have no idea what Iím doing. Well, maybe I have a little idea but not much.

Itís just a local ďclub levelĒ contest and we donít require pre registration. For that reason, we never know until the morning of the contest how many pilots we will have, even when we ask people to let us know. . ... So what Iím thinking Iíll do is just prepare in advance a handful of contests in F3K Score for several different number of pilots. Say one for 10 pilots and one for 11 pilots and so on... Iíll then just name the pilots by number. As in Pilot 1 and Pilot 2.... Iíll then pre print the matrix and time sheets for each of these different size contests. Then once we have a pilot count, Iíll choose a contest to run in the system and hand out the score cards. Does that make sense?

Is there anything that you seasoned CDís have encountered, that I should be prepared for? Any advice is welcome.

Thanks in advance
Mike
to remove ads between posts
Jan 09, 2019, 08:25 AM
Don't over think it Mike. Matrix and pilot cards can be done a couple days before. Just import the pilot list from your registration page (google doc or f3xvault) and print them. Make it easy for your pilots, I know my name not my number. Sound files are a bit more complicated but can easily be dry run without knowing who is showing up.

The stuff that takes time is the logistics. How do you feed people? Crummy food and people wont come back. Rent port o johns if the field is not already equipped. Make sure people know where they can stay and how to arrive. Do you have power for your scoring system and computer? Can you have a printer on field (this is extremely helpful and can be a total tech pain)? Are you going to have scoring assistance? If not run at least 3 groups and be ready to never sit down. Going to borrow a big timer?

Happy to chat with you if you like. PM me.

The easiest way is to bribe Mickey to come to your contest with his timer. He will say you are on your own but then do it all for you anyway.
Jan 09, 2019, 09:12 AM
Time for me to Fly...
Thanks, Austin.

The contest is too small to bother Mickey. Our club field is at a county park. We have power. We have a porta-John. I like the idea of feeding people. We usually leave that up to them....not this time.

As for the pilot thing... again, our contests are pretty small and we never know who will showup until the morning of the contest.... regardless of what we’re were told ahead of time. What that does, is make it hard to determine if we will have 2 flight groups or 3. Nobody likes flight groups of less than 4, if we can help it. If I get 12 guys or more, 3 groups it will be. So in my description above, using pre-made contests will allow me some flexibility without slowing down the start of the contest..... I’ll have to think about that some more.
Jan 09, 2019, 09:47 AM
With some familiarity with f3k score if you have the task list set up and sound files generated for 2 or 3 groups it takes <30 min to enter names, create flight groups, print score cards and get them stapled and handed out (a paper cutter helps speed this up). You can go either way but from the contestant side it is really nice to have matrix and score card with your names. Take a couple evenings poking around F3K score and ask questions if you have them I think you will find it much more streamlined than you are imagining.
Jan 09, 2019, 10:38 AM

What scoring program

Based on the program, I am assuming gliderscore, you can input names anytime and then just choose names and print scoresheets in a matter of minutes.
At one of our local club they do it this way all of the time. No need for preregistration. First time it will seem cumbersome, but will get easier as you gain experience. I've played with glider score some and after getting use to it it is pretty easy. Never actually run a contest but have watched the guys, assuming someday I will get it done at my club.
Cary
Jan 09, 2019, 11:28 AM
Oleg Golovidov
Mike, the only thing that requires up-front time investment - creating pilot name sound files. If you don't need that (we never use name announcements at local club events) - you can set up your contest in F3KScore in a few minutes, and print the score cards in another few minutes.
Jan 09, 2019, 11:43 AM
Time for me to Fly...
Thanks guys.

I'm going to download F3K Score and start playing with it. That's the one I'm most use to.
Jan 09, 2019, 11:49 AM
hot air rises...
F3K Master with F3KScore is the only way I'd run a small local contest.

Night before: Decide how many rounds and what tasks. Print out "generic" pilot round cards in F3KScore.

Morning of contest: Enter pilots names into F3KScore, you should already have selected rounds/tasks, randomize groups, export to excel, import excel file to F3KMaster, select amount of time you want between rounds, plug phone or pad into sound system and hit start button.

On the scoring pads you have to write in your name and heat and flight times. We sometimes score at the field and sometimes just take the paper home and score at home and email/post results.
Jan 09, 2019, 11:51 AM
hot air rises...
Obviously, it's different for a larger (2 day) contest. Then I'd make sure Adrian was there so we could use his printer and not even worry about score cards
Jan 09, 2019, 12:24 PM
If you use your laptop to play the sound file make sure you plug it in!!! The clock in your laptop will run slow on only be battery.
Jan 09, 2019, 02:18 PM
Time for me to Fly...
I have a laptop and an iPad that I could use. I've been playing with F3KScore, (I donated some money, Oleg.... Thanks!), on my lunch. I made up a dummy contest and ran it. It seems pretty easy.

Finch, I'm not understanding why you're recommending I run 2 different programs. Seems like extra work....?
Jan 09, 2019, 03:44 PM
Oleg Golovidov
Thanks for the donation, Mike!!!

F3KMaster can generate a sound track, including names, from just text (CSV file with matrix). But it certainly is an added complexity that you do not have to have if you can skip the name announcements.
You can run the playlist with window/task sound files (downloaded separately from F3KScore main program) from the laptop. You still need to generate the playlist of course from within F3KScore.
Jan 09, 2019, 03:55 PM
hot air rises...
Mike, download F3KMaster and familiarize yourself with it. I admit that it's been years since I've used F3KScore to "run" a contest, but I recall some difficulty getting the sound files to read correctly (and sometimes play fast or short :eek). Both programs are awesome in their own right, I just think each has strengths that the other doesn't and they complement each other.
Jan 09, 2019, 04:18 PM
Oleg Golovidov
Here I tried to create a tutorial for F3KScore. A bit out of date now. There are quite a few more convenient features in the program now, but it is mostly accurate.
It does not touch the playlist generation unfortunately.
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?2233202

Finch, I would like to hear about 'fast' or 'short' sound files.
F3KScore doesn't really "run" the contest, it only generates a playlist (which refers to the supplied sound files). The user (CD) then needs to play the playlist on a laptop or MP3 player (I use a cheap android phone).
Jan 09, 2019, 04:53 PM
Oleg, I have experienced slow sound files. Mine were directly related to the laptop. Once I plugged it in everything was normal. This experience was exactly why I lobbied mickey to make his timing system independent.

Quick Reply