Jan 08, 2019, 04:54 PM
Ellston, Iowa USA
Discussion

Brightening up an aluminum engine

In continuation from my post on disassembling a Veco.....my cleaner turned the exterior of the engine dark gray. What do you use to make it shiny again? On a positive note, the LA’s Totally Awesome Citrus Cleaner really worked well other than the darkening issue.
to remove ads between posts
Jan 08, 2019, 07:31 PM
Engine man
The non citrus LA's cleaner doesn't do that to the engine.
Jan 08, 2019, 07:38 PM
Ellston, Iowa USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmrcflyr2
The non citrus LA's cleaner doesn't do that to the engine.
Unfortunately my Dollar Tree didn’t have the original product.
Jan 08, 2019, 07:42 PM
Master re-kitter
You can try Barkeep's Friend and a toothbrush - may help some. i found some at Target - not expensive at all. Sorta' like Comet or Bon-Ami.
Jim
Jan 08, 2019, 07:52 PM
GloBroz PowerLab
Quote:
Originally Posted by SRQFlyer
You can try Barkeep's Friend and a toothbrush - may help some. i found some at Target - not expensive at all. Sorta' like Comet or Bon-Ami.
Jim
This is exactly what I did to remove the antifreeze oxidation on an engine I used to have. Barkeepers Friend mixed with a tiny amount of water to make a paste. Scrub it on thick, leave sit for 10-15 minutes and scrub with a toothbrush. Rinse well with water and keep hitting it with the cleanser paste until it comes out clean as you’d like it to be. It does take some time and elbow grease to get it off.

Barkeepers friend isn’t an abrasive cleanser like many other powdered cleansers are - beware, not all are created equal. BKF is really the best and only product I’d recommend using.
Jan 08, 2019, 08:20 PM
Master re-kitter
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1QwkSport2.5r
Barkeepers friend isn’t an abrasive cleanser like many other powdered cleansers are - beware, not all are created equal. BKF is really the best and only product I’d recommend using.
Yes, exactly! I only mentioned the others because that's where it is located in the store. Don't use scouring powder!

Sometimes I should be more verbose,
Jim
Jan 08, 2019, 09:22 PM
https://procheminc.com/products/metal-brite/
Jan 08, 2019, 09:53 PM
Ellston, Iowa USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClubFlyer
Have you used this on an engine? Any idea where it can be bought?
Jan 08, 2019, 11:18 PM
Yeap, the acidic acids in the orange oil based cleaners cause a chemical reaction with the aluminum/magnesium oxides in the engine castings, resulting in a primitive anodizing / oxidation of the metal surface. Just follow the instructions, usually scrubbing with a none metallic brush, will remove the surface oxidation and brighten the surface.
Jan 08, 2019, 11:47 PM
The great Brutifier
It basically is a mix of ammonia (as in the house hold cleaner) and oxalic acid, that can be found in other household rust remover and some mold removers.

I remember I have a greyed muffler I don't use somewhere… Maybe time for some experimenting...
Jan 09, 2019, 12:17 AM
Going back now several years, I had some weird patches of thickening skin on the backs of my arms. Mostly caused by sun damage (from what the doctor said) from driving a lot with the sun bearing down on my left, Doc said nothing really could be done. Then I discovered 'Whink" at the local hardware store, that's right, "hydrofluoric acid". Took all the thickening skin off with no related issues. Doc could not believe what I was telling him. But the backs of my arms are as normal now, as they use to be back in my thirties.
Last edited by ClubFlyer; Jan 13, 2019 at 03:00 PM.
Jan 09, 2019, 02:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brutus1967

I remember I have a greyed muffler I don't use somewhere… Maybe time for some experimenting...
Also have an old blackened muffler that I've subjected to cleaning experiments using different chemicals & time based treatments. Really is a "must do" to determine what actually works & what would be an unmitigated disaster waiting to strike.
Jan 09, 2019, 11:35 AM
GloBroz PowerLab
Quote:
Originally Posted by SRQFlyer
Yes, exactly! I only mentioned the others because that's where it is located in the store. Don't use scouring powder!

Sometimes I should be more verbose,
Jim
I wasn’t trying to step on your toes, just adding to your comment is all.
Jan 09, 2019, 12:01 PM
Making Friction Work
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClubFlyer
Yeap, the acidic acids in the orange oil based cleaners cause a chemical reaction with the aluminum/magnesium oxides in the engine castings, resulting in a primitive anodizing / oxidation of the metal surface. Just follow the instructions, usually scrubbing with a none metallic brush, will remove the surface oxidation and brighten the surface.
Need some clarification: "acidic acids" ?

Or is that "Acetic acid" ? Seriously, just curious,
Jan 09, 2019, 03:32 PM
The great Brutifier
Should not be acetic acid, because that's plain vinegar. And I have never heard that vinegar could clean engines.

AFAIK in metalbrite Oxalic acid is used (also known as carbonic acid IIRC)

Quick Reply