Jan 06, 2019, 06:31 PM
Thread OP
Build Log

Sakonnet Daysailer from Midwest

Hi folks,

I admit to being a VERY slow model builder at times and also admit to having too many dang modeling projects started/not finished and laying about the 'ole shop. I finally finished the building/construction of a SIG Kadet Senior for my wife, Joyce, and it's now ready to cover. That said, I decided to take a couple of days off from that model plane and looked around at the model projects on my shop shelving. There it still sat; the Midwest Sakonnet Daysailer model that I had started eons ago (or so it seems) hadn't finished itself or hadn't gone anywhere either. One thing led to another and the model sailboat ended up on a shop workbench...again. After spending some relaxing time looking over the started construction and various parts and information sheets the decision was reached that the Sakonnet Daysailer really needed to be finished. Hopefully this build thread will encourage me to work some on this neat little model on a regular basis and complete the work started many moons ago. Anyway, that's the present plan... Join in if you are interested.

Joe
to remove ads between posts
Jan 07, 2019, 04:07 PM
Thread OP
It's raining outside and I already took my "Thoreau" walk this morning in the sleet and rain, so, it's model building time! Worked with the Rudder and Tiller, the Forward Traveler and the front Chocks as well as some other items. Here are a few photos. Thanks for stopping by the shop!

Joe
Last edited by piperjoe; Jan 08, 2019 at 12:10 AM.
Jan 10, 2019, 02:47 PM
Thread OP
Last edited by piperjoe; Jan 13, 2019 at 03:58 PM. Reason: post not needed
Jan 12, 2019, 08:03 PM
Thread OP
Started making the six rigging turnbuckles out of thin wire and small diameter brass tube pieces. At this point one down....and only five more to go. !

Joe
Jan 13, 2019, 03:57 PM
Thread OP
The six turnbuckles are now assembled and they are ready to be placed on the sailboat at a later time. The plan is to brush one more coat of paint onto the deck prior to actually gluing any hardware in place. My wife likes the color of the deck () so that is a good omen! Also the goosenecks for the mast and boom have been assembled together and dry fit into their respective parts.

Joe
Jan 31, 2019, 05:09 PM
Thread OP
...continuing onward, I removed the optional Mahogany wood where the three Port turnbuckles enter the hull because I did not like the way it had turned out. The turnbuckle wire insert holes were just too large on this size model. Working on the Starboard side I carefully angled the pin-vise a lot more to clear the hull side wood as I drilled the three turnbuckle insert holes. I was able to use the original size hole diameter in the bargain; doesn't seem like much but it sure made all the difference to me. Now I'll cut and trim a new Mahogany piece for the Port side turnbuckle locations and see if I can match the Starboard turnbuckle locations as I'd like to.

Joe
Feb 12, 2019, 07:43 PM
Fun kit to build yours looks geat
Feb 14, 2019, 05:08 PM
Thread OP
Hi bboarder711,

It has been so quiet here on this thread that I completely missed your post until now. Thank you for your kind words!

Joe
Mar 04, 2019, 04:09 AM
Thread OP
Becalmed and stalled...

Joe
Mar 29, 2019, 09:31 AM
Thread OP
Did I just feel a bit 'o the breeze come across the bow...?

Joe
Jun 01, 2019, 10:16 PM
Thanks for telling me about this build. I have a real soft spot for the classic designers like Alden and Herreshoff and their daysailers in particular. The detail and the canvas covered deck are so nice and true to the original.
Jun 06, 2019, 02:04 AM
Thread OP
Hi David,

Thank you. I'll be getting back onto this build once I clear up selling my RC model plane items here on RCG and at my house. I've already got the Sakonnet Daysailer on my workbench and have been going over it to see where I need to start in again. Darn, looks like I might have to even change my "handle" here on RCG from "piperjoe" to something non-aviation LOL!! Have been looking at my other wood model boat kits, too, and I think I'll enjoy building them as time goes on. Stop by and visit here again, my friend, when things get up and going again. Best regards.

Joe
Jun 10, 2019, 06:27 AM
Wanted for breaking Ohm's Law
....Thought Id drop by here too to watch your detailed building....can always learn tips by watching one of your builds, even if Im an airplane guy!....
Latest blog entry: RC Throw Gauge
Jun 10, 2019, 06:49 AM
Thread OP
Hi Dennis,

Thanks for stopping in! I'll enjoy your company here as I get going again. It doesn't have wings but it's a neat little model.

Joe

Quick Reply