This thread is privately moderated by bill_delong, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Jan 06, 2019, 06:29 PM
Did I make the A Main?
Thread OP
Discussion

Pin Replacement Tools

One of the most important part part of vehicle maintenance (next to cleaning and/or replacing worn bearings) is replacing worn pins on your drive shafts. It's very easy to over look this item and if not addressed (at the first hint of any flat spots forming on the pins) then you risk causing premature wear on the out drives. Once the out drives start to wear, you'll see "cups"form where the flat spots of the pins start to cut into the metal like a knife into warm butter which can cause very inconsistent cornering as the diffs can lock up and you risk snapping a drive shaft. It can be VERY expensive to replace drive shafts and out drives, but it is dirt cheap to replace the pins when you use a pin replacement tool which can pay for itself on the very first use!

Here's an example of worn pins that are so far gone from a very poorly maintained vehicle:

If you only race 1/8 cars which typically use 3mm thick pins, then I would highly recommend the Mugen Pin Replacement Tool because it comes with a ratchet wrench to help keep costs down. High quality "hardened steel" pins are available from Hudy as a great source XRay also sells some pins but they are not listed "hardened" so they may not be as durable. Another option is to buy in bulk off eBay, this has worked for me, but I have noticed they tend to wear a little more frequently.

If you race a 1/10 cars, then chances are you will need to replace 2.5mm pins and RC Renew sells a pin tool with an optional 2.5mm head sold separately. Only problem is that RC Renew doesn't include a wrench and they use a 1/4" square head so you'll need to buy a Yellow Jacket 60616 Ratchet Wrench in order to use their system. ARRMA sells some 2.5mm pins, but really anybody who sells 18-8 or 304 grade pins should work just fine.

Be sure to de-grease your pins and use a micro-torch if necessary to allow the old pins to push out with the replacement tool. Use channel lock pliers to hold the tool and align the shaft flush with the pliers to keep the shaft aligned when driving in the new pin:

Check out more stuff on My Bookmarks page!
Last edited by bill_delong; Jan 25, 2019 at 04:21 PM.
to remove ads between posts

Quick Reply