Jan 06, 2019, 03:17 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

Fail safe mode for F5J model

dear fliers,

after some unexpeted event realted to lost link between transmiter and receiver, finally ended up hard landing, I have the kind request for simple tips how to fix the fail safe mode for F5J model.

F5J models are quite large and when balasted not fragile as feather, so the way to bring them safely down in emegency condition may sometimes safe property and life. I believe that in all serious competition events fail safe mode should have been checked prior pilots briefing. Nevertheless, one's insurance may not cover the cost of damage.

So, in your opinion, is that better to set the butterly combination (channel position setup)/ other combination or just set up 'hold' for all channels?
Engine stops after max 30 sec. , so channel 1 is not that important, while flying far distances.

What are your regular or atypical settings?
I use Graupner MX20hott

I will appreciate all your support
to remove ads between posts
Jan 06, 2019, 03:50 PM
My basics:

1. Half flaps with whatever elevator comp comes with it
2. Slight rudder deflection to right or left, pilot's choice
3. Motor off and safety engaged if your programming allows it
Jan 06, 2019, 04:12 PM
Typical? Hold...
Jan 06, 2019, 06:20 PM
I always add flaps and rudder. You want the model to lose altitude and turn. Gives your model the best chance of not being a lawn dart.
Jan 07, 2019, 02:47 AM
When I've bothered to set up a failsafe mode on a big model, I've generally used CROW. I assume that the CROW won't be absolutely symmetrical, so I don't bother with a rudder preset. That was with the old, 72 mHz radios, so I could just get the glider fairly high and turn off the transmitter to see how it flew in failsafe mode. No need to wait for a reboot when I turned the transmitter back on.
Jan 07, 2019, 06:09 AM
In F3J size does matter!
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkallev
My basics:

1. Half flaps with whatever elevator comp comes with it
2. Slight rudder deflection to right or left, pilot's choice
3. Motor off and safety engaged if your programming allows it
In the old days of 72 mhz I once had a model with a similar setup, circle for over a minute overhead while I hunted down the idiot that turned on his transmitter without doing a frequency check.
Jan 08, 2019, 01:34 PM
RV7guy

Like TK

I use the same basic set up as TK with a couple of minor tweaks. Half flap and elevator comp slightly less than typical landing config. I don't use any rudder.

My main goal if going into Failsafe is to prevent damage/injury to anyone on the ground, not to save the model. Saving the model is great but not the main goal. For that reason, I don't add rudder. I don't want the model to end up in a spin and gain velocity.

Crazy not to set failsafe. In most systems it takes a minute or two.

Darwin N. Barrie
Chandler, AZ
Team Futaba
Jan 09, 2019, 01:33 AM
I add the slight rudder deflection so that if the cause of the failsafe is related to signal, a slow turn presents all antennae to the transmitter thus increasing the chance to reacquire ...

Quick Reply