Jan 06, 2019, 10:54 AM
Thread OP
Mini-Review

JJRC X9 Heron GPS Gimbal Camera Drone Flight Test Review

This brushless GPS drone includes a 2 axis stabilized gimbal for smooth in-flight video. Find it here.

And here is its flight demonstration.
JJRC X9 Heron GPS Gimbal Camera Drone Flight Test Review (35 min 37 sec)

Pros
- GPS and optical flow position hold drone.
- Automatic return to home and landing on command, loss of signal, and low battery.
- Altitude hold.
- 1080p 30fps camera with onboard micro SD card recording capability. The recorded video actually looks nice.
- Flight controller includes a built-in WiF relay with antenna for improved FPV reception.
- 2 axis stabilized gimbal.
- 3S 13.05V 1000mah LiHV battery.
- Real time FPV video may be viewed on your phone via the "Enjoy Fly" app available on Play here or iTunes here . App also enables follow me and circle position capability.

Cons
- Requires 802.11ac WiFi capable phone to utilize the app with the drone. Unfortunately not everyone has an 802.11ac WiFi capable phone. Make sure to verify that your phone is indeed 802.11ac WiFi capable before purchasing.
- Unstable GPS position hold. Encountered toilet bowl effect instability repeatedly during these flights, even after multiple compass calibrations. The video ends with an uncontrolled flyaway on low battery.
- Up and down gimbal control was very jerky. Additionally, the gimbal tends to tilt slightly as the flight progresses.
- Circle and follow me capability is only available if the drone is flown without the controller, using your phone to control it via WiFi.
- 225 meters FPV range was somewhat short for a relay controlled drone.
- Short flight time of about 8 minutes (much less than the advertised 16 minutes). I also noticed intermittent and unexplained voltage drops during the flight.
Last edited by t00nz843z; Jan 06, 2019 at 11:44 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Jan 06, 2019, 11:17 AM
That was a pretty bad performance.
Jan 06, 2019, 02:35 PM
Fan of just about anything RC
Sounds like a beta-product released to the public, or bad luck getting a badly made sample.
Latest blog entry: For the love of the hobby!
Jan 06, 2019, 02:53 PM
Here's another nail in its coffin.

JJRC X9 HERON **WATCH BEFORE YOU BUY** (7 min 4 sec)
Jan 11, 2019, 06:42 AM
www.freedrone.gr
Here is my review of the JJR/C Heron X9 quadcopter.
Initial tests were good (indoors testing) - within expectations - waiting for the weather to calm down in order to fly it outside.

Hangar Log: JJRC Heron X9 Detailed Review (from Gearbest.com) (23 min 35 sec)
Jan 24, 2019, 04:37 AM
www.freedrone.gr
Flight Test of the JJR/C Heron X9 quadcopter (with English subtitles).

Flight Log 20-Ιαν-2019: JJRC Heron X9 (από Gearbest.com) (17 min 31 sec)
Jan 30, 2019, 06:53 PM
I have a jjrc x9 heron don't trust it , after calibration it was gps toilet bowling ,not stable sometimes,on the enjoyfly app ,no voltage readout,so will land unexpectedly,i will say that it
will fly properly sometimes ,i have used the c-fly app and does work with voltage readout.
I think it needs new firmware to take all the bugs out of it
Jan 31, 2019, 02:02 AM
www.freedrone.gr
Quote:
Originally Posted by birdman24
I have a jjrc x9 heron don't trust it , after calibration it was gps toilet bowling ,not stable sometimes,on the enjoyfly app ,no voltage readout,so will land unexpectedly,i will say that it
will fly properly sometimes ,i have used the c-fly app and does work with voltage readout.
I think it needs new firmware to take all the bugs out of it
I am going to replace the whole GPS/compass system on the Heron with another one that supports GLONASS also.
Hopefully it will improve the GPS PosHold capability of the aircraft.

Waiting for spare parts, will do another video on my channel when they arrive to show how they can be installed.
Feb 04, 2019, 09:36 AM
hello I ask the owners of the jjrc x9 if you can give me the FW v3.9 because my x9 has stopped working well. However it is recognized by MissionPlanner and I can flash a possible FW hoping to repair it. Thank you
Feb 06, 2019, 06:51 AM
@Frontier
you have jjrc x9 ... wath version FW have ?
Tahnk ...
Feb 06, 2019, 11:27 AM
www.freedrone.gr
Quote:
Originally Posted by pasqui
@Frontier
you have jjrc x9 ... wath version FW have ?
Tahnk ...
The firmware version is 3.9, as it came from the factory.
Feb 10, 2019, 03:38 AM
It is the FW that comes now with the X9, I asked if you can put in communication with the Jjrc and ask for a copy of the FW v3.9 for X9 and instructions for its installation. Thank you
Feb 10, 2019, 02:56 PM
www.freedrone.gr
Quote:
Originally Posted by pasqui
It is the FW that comes now with the X9, I asked if you can put in communication with the Jjrc and ask for a copy of the FW v3.9 for X9 and instructions for its installation. Thank you
You can contact JJRC and request customer support from this page: https://www.jjrc.com/content/online-feedback.html
Feb 20, 2019, 10:15 PM
ultra cheap pilot
Any updates on the latest batch of improvement? i almost wanted to take a dive on the X9.
Apr 04, 2019, 11:36 AM
I have been flying my Heron the last three days.

I am very surprised how good it does and how far you get the video signal (much farther than mi Fimi A3).

The only thing I do not like is the video quality. Recorded video is horrible even when in the phone the image is not so bad.

Did you had this problem?

By the way: I just went to a hill next to my house, and vertical distance 380m while horizontal distance 702m. I still had fluid video there (returned because the bats where at 40%).

Quick Reply