Jan 08, 2019, 09:34 AM
Thread OP

Moswey lll

Wish I had seen the German build log whilst not the same short kit it would have saved a couple of negative comments.

Oh! to answer a question on Chris Williams no isometric drawings but Dropbox full of building pictures and a book full of build instructions. Just helps a lot
when eye sight aint what it used to be and all those lines start to merge into one.
to remove ads between posts
Jan 08, 2019, 12:19 PM
I thaught those negative comments were a bit of friendly banter/ taking the pish... ? What has Dave done?
Jan 08, 2019, 03:34 PM
Thread OP

Moswey lll

Answer
I think I may have nudged an authors ego when I viewed a post of his build and made a couple of honest in my opinion comment's.

I do believe in the final analysis they may take their words back we shall see.

I intend to do another posting this evening on my progress.
Jan 08, 2019, 04:31 PM
Really enjoying the build thanks. Always loved the Moswey. And the woodwork is shaping up beautifully.

Thanks for posting.

Rog
Jan 08, 2019, 04:43 PM
I have always liked the looks of the Moswey, but just haven't had enough enthusiasm to build a gull wing.

I have seen some of Dave aka The Brit's builds. Nice stuff, and some of it self-designed. Which is why I am surprised to see some of his negative comments on this short kit. If you buy a short kit, you should know that some thinking will be required. I should know, I built a short-kit with no supplied plans (see EON Olympia 2b by Aussie RC Plans). You just plug along, solving one question/problem at a time. Having a second/different set of plans and related-but-different build logs certainly helps. And lots of construction photos? Deluxe!

Scott
Jan 08, 2019, 07:32 PM
Thread OP

Moswey lll

I guess this is closer to scratch building insofar as I decided I was going to make the rudder removeable just in case its a problem in our SUV and have no plans just need to rely on past builds'

I opted to cut the ply overlay and do it somewhat peace meal I thought I had finished the ply now I see I missed a bit Oh! silly me. Made the rudder post from 1/2" x 1/2" sandwiched a 1/16 x 3/8" strip and the 1/16th aluminum tube applied glue to all surfaces used pinch clips and clamped it to the bench to ensure trueness when dry I cut slots for the G10n F/G pivots sanded the L/E to a half round section I'll sheet the Fin with ply and have an overlap to the rudder. I'll add a hardwood block to the bottom of the rudder to accept the ball links.
Jan 10, 2019, 10:54 PM
Thread OP

Moswey lll

Gathered all the parts together for the build of the stab/elevator. This build is proving to be more difficult that I could ever imagine the use of lite ply doesn't help much either. Not knowing the designers idea of a sequence to assemble parts other than basics like joining the main spar EP1/2/3/4 the plans calls for
Jan 10, 2019, 11:41 PM
Thread OP

Moswey lll

Having gathered all the relevant parts together for the assembly of the stab/elevator I'm ready to proceed the first step the plan calls for the assembly of the main spar which carries the hinges for the elevator it consists of parts EP 1/2/3/4 which are stacked one on top of each other with 0,04 carbon between this is pretty easy to construct.
My next step proves to be more difficult than I could imaging now its one thing to read a plan but its another to get in the designers head as to a sequence of build and I'm sure my sequence is wrong. I decided that a dry fit was best to get a real feel for assembly which would be Ok! if as example say 2 ribs would stay in place but they don't and some of the rebates are in the wrong place lite ply don't help much either my spars were bent I guess from the heat of the laser cutter.

The trailing edge is 1/8 ply and trying to sand that down to a triangle is not easy and even worse if you try it when the elevator is assembled I thought I';ll come back to that problem.

So back to the ribs which proved to be useless as they are cut to a finish of the elevator. Ok! a nights rest and re evaluate I decide as I had to make a whole set of ribs I would revert to an earlier model I had built where I had a similar problem. I recut the elevator trailing edge from hard 3/16 balsa planed and sanded down to a triangle shape cut rib slots, then cut the ply overlay and glued the three pieces together now I have a trailing edge with pockets . Bac k tomorrow.

Oh! I did find another error I made because F19 is part of the fin assembly being the hinge post I missed the end of the longeron by about 4" cutting off at F18 so when you look at the picture you will see a piece scarfed in between, when I go back over the glue joints I'll strengthen this area.97
Jan 14, 2019, 11:21 AM
Thread OP

Moswey lll

Intend to post another part of the build log after I remove the R/E ssrvos to make way for the floor right now I have it to high.
Jan 14, 2019, 12:55 PM
David, build looks good! My initial comments were aimed at getting you to pull you finger out and get on with it. All your comments to Marc an myself were very negative which is why I chose the root I did. I have if you want them, some scale drawings of the scissor type airbrakes for the Mosway, when I say scale I mean drawn for thie scale of this model. Happy to send them to you if you wish. Do you still want the dash panel? If so, what Moswey are you planning on modelling? I ask so that I can get the panel as accurate as I can for that aircraft.
Jan 14, 2019, 10:18 PM
Thread OP

Moswey lll

Hi Cliff,

Yes to the dash

My intention is for 374 the only difference I see is the rudder outline I posted a picture of mine.

I'll send you an email

Dave
Jan 15, 2019, 12:47 AM
Thread OP

Moswey lll

Update on progress. Not good! its midnight I have been up since 5.30 I spent the last hour writing and posting pictures, then the memory kicked in I forgot to upload went back yep! nuttin there!

So this will be a shorter version which you probably don't read anyhow hey I'm not an author.

Ok! I had almost finished the stab when I realized I had made a faux pas English cock up! the elevator ply overlay I had cut to the sub trailing edge meaning that because I changed my build to incorporate a pocket for the elevator I forgot to add the wiper that cost me a whole day painting the ply with Acetone until I could remove it without a lot of damage sanding the sub structure and re placing the 0.04 ply.

I finished the elevator spar adding the aluminum pivot carrying tube cutting the pivot slots sanding the completed assembly to ensure that there was a good fit to the stab pocket.

I made a new set of ribs from hard balsa cut rebates in the L/E then tapered the rib to just less the thickness of the T/E I decided that I could save a tad amount of weight by using balsa instead of the ply shaped T/E supplied I just used it as a template traced around it cut out the balsa sanded to a V profile used a hacksaw blade to cut rub slots then glued two shaped pieces of 0.04 ply to both sides of the balsa left to dry under weight, the result a strong lightweight T/E.

I started to glue the ribs in place using my third eye the laser to ensure they straight then took an afternoon nap I have been out here since 5.30am with a small break for coffee.

At 7 30 pm I went back to the fuselage and removed the installed servos. Then I eyeballed a seat profile cut that from 1/8 ply gluing 0.04 ply made the seat for Joe to sit on he looks pretty comfortable, that entailed removing a ply section to enable the seat to move back about 1.5" that section which the designer incorporated for structural integrity I now needed to replace I cut a wider piece of ply making the necessary notches in to fit the root rib and the canopy frame

I checked Joe's feet and there is just enough room to put the rudder bar and pedals in but when the cockpit is finished probably will not see em!
Jan 15, 2019, 01:49 AM
Burning & Turning
That is some serious time to spend in the workshop..Keep up the good work!
Jan 15, 2019, 03:39 AM
Have you got a coffee machine in there with you David?
Jan 15, 2019, 04:52 PM
Thread OP

Moswey lll

No coffee machine flat screen TV and a Mitsubishi mini splitter air conditioner in my Californian home I had more machinery like a 14" ,metal band saw a 40" engine lathe and a milling machine + a fridge for the Corona just to let you know I am not a machinist every thing I make is eyeball if you look up my boat 1970 Super Ariston you will see some of the fittings and the windshield I made from billet brass and chrome plated which back in the early 90's which was my profession and my business I did all the metal polishing and finishing working with restorers of vintage cars exhibited at Pebble Beach Concourse de Elegance.

Quick Reply