Jan 05, 2019, 08:59 AM
Thread OP
Build Log

Moswey lll

Having built Chris Williams 1.3 Rhonadler last year I looked for another project for 2019 I found my current project a 1.3.5 Moswey lll designed by Jilles Smits

I ordered the plans and short kit from Marks sailplane kits due to Christmas it took a while to get to me finally arriving a couple of weeks ago.

The first thing of note was new to me no instruction no isometric help drawings I looked for a build log there isn't one, there is a few pictures and a couple of notations nothing close to what I would call a build log. My thought was to abandon the whole thing suffer the loss. Various people convinced me that I had enough skills to carry on, having triggered my ego but with some trepidation I made the start.

If you were to consider building from the plan in my opinion you would encounter a problem the likes of which I have not come across of the 18 formers only 2 are shown on the plan,

Pics 1/2/3 shows the keel parts 5/6/7 these as you can see are a poor fit a gap was clearly visible when held up to the light placing a straight edge along the bottom edge kept the parts aligned whilst the epoxy cured.

Pic 4 I opted to use a separate build board a Melamine coated shelf 6' x 12"x 3/4"for ease of moving around and being newly purchased was true and straight. Marking a center line the length of the board I then marked across the board at the relevant former stations F1 - F18. I cut brackets from 2" x2" aluminum angle
I drilled anchor holes oversize to allow for a tight fit. I then added 6 10" shelf brackets at three appropriate locations to accept the keel

Pics 5/6 show the dry fit of formers and again how sloppy the fit is to the skid.

Having written mostly negative points abot this semi kit and the build my next post is all positive.
to remove ads between posts
Jan 05, 2019, 11:25 AM
Thread OP

Moswey lll

As I said this post will be positive.

I do like the way Jilles designed the wing mount, it is a typical of European design in so far as it uses commercially available in the UK of brass rectangular tube 15mm x 2mm I believe its one meter lengths and you cut lengths to suit'

Pic7 shows components F8 F9 F10 F11 and the brass tubes + 4 lengths of dowel I had turned down on my lathe to fit the holes in the formers. Jilles has made some notes on the plans one of these was to ensure the holes line up for accuracy of wing retainers, I took it one step further and used the dowels to ensure the accuracy I did this method also with Formers F12 and F12a using slow cure epoxy on each former with a liberal amount over the brass tubes I sandwiched them together and hammered in the four pieces of dowel then with my flush cut saw removed the excess dowel and placed the whole assembly under pressure until the epoxy cured, using the same sequence I did the same with F12/12a

one more post to day
Jan 05, 2019, 12:42 PM
Thread OP

Moswey lll

Setting up formers correct sequence

F8 face down F9 follows hole but tubes must face right upward F10 sits on F9 facing rleft and upward.

pictures in sequence pic1 parts for nose section dry fit F1 2/3/4/5/6/7 K1 K2 tow release and 2 dowels

Pic 2/3 note the sloppy fit which I find is taken care of with my board jig as pic 4 shows with brackets in place.

I was pleased with the perfect alignment of root ribs my tow release is in place with the activating servo. because I like cockpit detail I intend to do parts of that while still building the structure makes life easer than trying to fiddle with rudder pedals from inside the cockpit.

More to come as I progress so far its taken me 4 days.
Jan 07, 2019, 04:02 AM
Did you get Isometric drawings with the Chris Williams plan, I think not! As for sloppy fitting of formers, you do realise that the fuss is supposed to be jigged and tied together with all longerons. I think your comments only prove that this is for an experienced builder. And as you stated in an email you thought before you started that you had bitten off more than you could chew! Jilles's plans are probably some of the best in the world, and this model has been successfully built several times, Pat Teakle being one of the builders and I quote Pat as saying this is one of the best plans he has ever built from. If as I suspect Pats name means nothing to you, look him up.
Jan 07, 2019, 09:49 AM
If you cannot understand clear drawings from a professional CAD designer, then I think you had better take up knitting
Jan 07, 2019, 10:03 AM

Iso's

Some iso's for you
Jan 07, 2019, 10:06 AM
Ignore them David, they are just jealous of your progress.

Keep up the good work.

BC
Last edited by Barry_Cole; Jan 07, 2019 at 02:08 PM.
Jan 07, 2019, 10:07 AM
Oh no we are not!
Jan 07, 2019, 12:41 PM
or lack of
Jan 07, 2019, 02:09 PM
Give the guy a break, he is doing his best..

BC
Jan 07, 2019, 08:12 PM
Thread OP

Moswey lll

Cliff, Ok! so I'm not the brightest bulb in house but perhaps as I progress with the build you may change your mind as to my building ability, ask Chris Williams what he thinks of my Super Albatross then again maybe you don't think much of his views.

I'm just about to post my latest progress on the Moswey

David AKA The Brit
Jan 07, 2019, 08:42 PM
Thread OP

Moswey III

The basic construction of the fuselage is almost complete as I need to install the push rods for the rudder as I want mine to look scale with ball links on the rudder L/E in place of pull pull. The tow release servo is installed and the tow release commercial mechanism. The tray for the R/E is in place. Next I want to add the interior panels of the cockpit the rudder pedals and a mock aluminum wing joiner assy.

The rudder parts are ready for assembly I opted not to use the ply trailing edge I figure it over kill I just used hard balsa I cut out the 0.04 ply overlay when glued to the balsa as a 3 piece laminated section it will be strong. As old age creeps up on me the use of what I call my magic eye really helps me I used a tripod laser to ensure both vertical and horizontal correctness whilst gluing ribs in place.

Its been a long day but I accomplished quite a bit I'll finish the rudder and fin tomorrow, and get back on the fuselage.
Jan 07, 2019, 10:00 PM
MTT
MTT
I care about rising air !
Kinda offtopic, just FYI :

albmodellbau in Germany makes a Moswey III kit, 1:3.5 scale, 4m span : http://www.albmodellbau.de/html/moswey3.htm

A build log on the german RC-Network here : http://www.rc-network.de/forum/showt...ghlight=Moswey
It's in german, of course but lots of pics...
Last edited by MTT; Jan 08, 2019 at 04:26 AM.
Jan 08, 2019, 05:55 AM
Burning & Turning
Nice work Dave..Looking forward to seeing this one come to life!
Ps. You have a great workshop
Jan 08, 2019, 09:19 AM
Thread OP

Moswey lll

Thanks for the nice words when we bought the house my wife thought it had a garage Oh! how wrong she should be.

I'll check out the German pics I did see a maiden flight video posted on here yesterday quite impressive.

Quick Reply