Jan 05, 2019, 12:59 AM
Pile-it
Thread OP
Discussion

Micro Sinbad

I was cruising Facetoob a while back and came across John Woodfields stunning oldtimer gliders. I loved the way they flew in slow motion, very beautiful. If you haven't seen them, start with the one below and cruise his other vids, some great stuff there!

Super Sinbad Glider (1 min 38 sec)

He has built several, but the Sinbad stuck out to me. I remember watching one fly when I was a kid with only rudder assist. I really liked the shape, and knew I'd build one someday, so I thought I needed to micro size one for PZ gear, the Wanderer and Windfree workedd so well, why not? Its scaled to 34" span. I got the plans far enough along to cut some parts for a test build. Spent a couple hours tonight and this is where it sits. I'm going to change a couple small things, but so far its going together really nicely. I'm out of glue so this is where I stop for now.
Last edited by Alien_Tech; Jan 27, 2019 at 07:02 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Jan 05, 2019, 12:39 PM
IT'S NOSE HEAVY!!!!
I waffled too long on the micro Wanderer and missed out.

There's a real good chance of not doing that with a Sinbad!
Jan 05, 2019, 02:11 PM
Pile-it
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by cityevader
I waffled too long on the micro Wanderer and missed out.

There's a real good chance of not doing that with a Sinbad!
Cool, Iím digging the nostalgia design on this one.
Jan 05, 2019, 05:50 PM
Looks great ...watching this tread closely
Jan 05, 2019, 07:02 PM
I saw these videos a wile ago and have wanted to make a micro to go with my other micros hopefully it goes well for you
Jan 05, 2019, 09:34 PM
What will the wing root chord work out to be ? will the fuselage be covered tissue ??
Jan 06, 2019, 01:07 PM
Pile-it
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by larryg
What will the wing root chord work out to be ? will the fuselage be covered tissue ??
Hi Larry,

Currently the chord is about 3.25", so near the Wanderer. The area is 110 sq. in. which is about 15 more than the Wanderer, so I expect it will fly similarly. I'll cover this with light film of some sort like all the others.

I'm currently changing some things around. Like all of my designs, its a very iterative process. Aside from the inevitable drawing errors I seem to make no matter how hard I try, its not until I get the actual parts in my hand and begin the build do I see where I can make some improvements. Such is the case here. I'm fixing the mistakes but also lowering parts count and making it easier to build. With all of the interlocking parts, stringer notches etc. this takes a bit more time than something like the Wanderer with fewer parts count. I hope to have some new cut parts by this evening.

Its a ton of work to produce a kit. If I am building for myself with no intent to kit, I only draw what is necessary to cut the parts for the build. If it flies nice and there is enough interest I'll end up making a kit. I end up building several up to the bones, making changes along the way. Only when everything fits to my satisfaction do I detail the plans. After that is done I'll make "kit" cut files. This involves arranging all the parts to fit standard size wood sheets, maximize wood yeild while still maintaining grain orientation, add cut tabs so all of the parts dont fall out when I take the sheet off the laser etc.

Stay tuned
Red
Last edited by Alien_Tech; Jan 06, 2019 at 01:15 PM.
Jan 06, 2019, 06:38 PM
Pile-it
Thread OP
Fresh parts! Letís see how these go together

Red
Jan 06, 2019, 08:11 PM
RetroRC makes a kit that looks like a SInbad. 36 inch span. The one I saw had the motor pod and looked a bit heavy and fast for the size. That might just be who built it, though.

There are several sizes of Sinbad plans on Outerzone. Note the airfoil differences. Also, I don't think the so called Sinbad Supreme looks enough like the original.

A guy I knew built a Super Sinbad as an RC gldier. A bit wiggly and slow, but flyable. We were able to catch thermals with it. And it oozed charisma. It was covered with something like Micafilm, which I think probably helped with the charisma. Shiny plastic just doesn't look right on models like this, IMHO.

Biggest Sinbad I know of. Fuselage has been stretched a bit. https://static.rcgroups.net/forums/a...0-P9051927.jpg
Jan 06, 2019, 08:21 PM
IT'S NOSE HEAVY!!!!
I would like to cover in tissue and dope, for nostalgia sake. I never did do that properly as a kid, only using thinned wood glue for cost purposes. I saw/flew a neighbor's micro Bird of Time free flight that was properly doped; what a difference!
Nowadays, i'm into scratch building composite building slope racers; what a difference!
Jan 06, 2019, 09:51 PM
Pile-it
Thread OP
New parts went together nicely! There are a few minor tweaks, but I fixed those as I went along, so that’s all good. I didn’t sheet the hatch, I’m having second thoughts about it not being big enough. It fits the battery fine, but the brick goes in the cabin area. Once the windshield is glued down, you won’t have access to it if there is a problem. I could put it underneath the wing, but putting it in the cabin will save some nose weight. I’m considering extending the hatch to include the cockpit area. I did spend the time to laser cut the sheeting for the cockpit, I’m
spoiled. I always hated hand fitting sheeting lol. I’m done for the night, I’ll play with it tomorrow.

Red
Last edited by Alien_Tech; Jan 07, 2019 at 09:40 AM.
Jan 07, 2019, 08:39 AM
Alien-Tech:
Watching with great interest! A couple of us in my club built the Micro Wanderer and we would definitely be interested in this lovely, updated old timer! : )

Cheers!
Lyle
43 Degrees North Latitude
Jan 07, 2019, 09:42 AM
Pile-it
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pappyjkns
Alien-Tech:
Watching with great interest! A couple of us in my club built the Micro Wanderer and we would definitely be interested in this lovely, updated old timer! : )

Cheers!
Lyle
43 Degrees North Latitude
Hey Lyle nice to have you around for the ride, good to see youíre still out there.

Red
Jan 07, 2019, 09:50 AM
A friend of mine just finished the RetroRC kit as his second kit build. It went together very nicely and flies well. He has the power pod on it and gets 3-4 climbs after the initial launch.

However it is heavy. I didn’t get to see it before assembly, but I think there are plenty of ways to reduce the weight for better thermal performance.
Jan 07, 2019, 12:38 PM
Pile-it
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by fv38wheels
A friend of mine just finished the RetroRC kit as his second kit build. It went together very nicely and flies well. He has the power pod on it and gets 3-4 climbs after the initial launch.

However it is heavy. I didnít get to see it before assembly, but I think there are plenty of ways to reduce the weight for better thermal performance.
I didn't realize anyone else was making a similar kit, cool. I'm shooting for about 40g, mine is a little smaller though.

Red

Quick Reply