Jan 04, 2019, 05:48 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

Schuco Hegi 521 Barracuda

I recently acquired a Hegi 521 Barracuda RC boat for restoration. I don't have much information on this boat. The boat seems to be very rare as I can't find any similar boat on the internet. The boat itself is from the 1960s and I have the original box which confirms it is boat number #521 from Schuco / Hegi.

My boat has a Metz Mecatron Baby single channel radio system and an Engel Rotomatik actuator. It has a Graupner motor with Z drive, which drive system makes it very unique even in today's RC boat world.

I already started the restoration and I'll add more information about the process here.

I'm interested in if anyone knows more information about this boat. Maybe the exact year?

The closest numbered Hegi boats I found are the following:
Hegi 511 Orkan
Hegi 512 Tasso I
Hegi 513 Fairplay V
Hegi 515 U-25 submarine
Hegi 516 Polizeiboot
[...]
Hegi 530 Batavia
Hegi 531 Bali
Hegi 534 Bahia

What about the Hegi 52x series?
to remove ads between posts
Apr 12, 2019, 05:47 PM
Thread OP
Paintwork is done
I used acrylic paint spray and matt lacque as a finish. The grey is plastic primer paint. I painted the final black line with a brush after masking.
Apr 13, 2019, 10:07 AM
Do you have a web site where you document the collection of boats you have? If not, would you consider creating one?
Apr 13, 2019, 12:47 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by dodgy
Do you have a web site where you document the collection of boats you have? If not, would you consider creating one?
I have online photo albums of my RC models (not only boats) here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/rcyard/albums
This Hegi boat is not yet included in the photo albums as it is not ready.
Apr 14, 2019, 08:42 PM
------
Quote:
Originally Posted by dodgy
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcyard
I have online photo albums of my RC models (not only boats) here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/rcyard/albums
This Hegi boat is not yet included in the photo albums as it is not ready.
There is plenty archived attachments here, and you can link to the original post:
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/thum...ttach&u=512737
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/thum...=512737&page=2
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/thum...=512737&page=3
From rcyard's blog page:
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/member.php?u=512737
Apr 15, 2019, 11:58 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by coriolan
Thank you, Coriolan!
Apr 20, 2019, 04:47 PM
Thread OP
Back to the Hegi Barracuda. The boat was originally equiped with a Metz Mecatron baby radio and an Engel Rotomatik actuator with a Graupner motor. Unfortunately the Engel Rotomatik has a faulty motor, and I couldn't repair it. The Metz radio works which will be good for my Graupner Chris Craft Constellation + Metz Mecatron radio project : https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...-channel-radio

I gave up with the Engel Rotomatik here, so this Hegi Barracuda boat will receive a modern servo and a 2.4GHz radio. Fortunately there is no problem with the original very unique Z form gearing Graupner motor, so I'll keep it. It is [email protected], works between 3-12V, leer 120mA, max. 1.5A.
Apr 28, 2019, 11:40 AM
Thread OP
I consider making a customized boat holder a very important thing. This helps further constructing the boat, storing and taking it to a lake by a car. I made a holder for the Barracuda as well. I glued some of the strengthening parts into the hull to make the hull solid (I painted them previuosly). I didn't glue the superstructure just put it into the top. I used a metal wire to get the shape of the hull and made the two main holding parts from paper first. I cut papers as many times until I received the right form for the front and the read holding parts. After that I cut the same forms from balsa and put the boat on it (this is the first photo). I measure the necessary length of the connecting rods and cut them from pine. These parts need to be stronger than balsa otherwise they brake easily. All parts of the holder could be made of pine, but balsa is lighter. After screwing everything togerther I appled two layers of transparent coating to save the wood from water and UV. This also decreases the color difference of the balse and pine wood. I used a 0.5cm thick 3M window insulator foam on the top where the boat stands (I calculated this thickness into the form previously).
Jun 23, 2019, 04:07 PM
Thread OP
I finished the final assembly, including installing the servo (Traxxas 2075 waterproof servo), the ESC (Hobbywing Quicrun 1060 60A) and the receiver (Spektrum Marine MR200). The motor and the propeller remained the original. I added some styrofoam to the boat to make it float on the top of the water in case of any leakage. I glued the parts with two component epoxy glue (very strong), except the superstucture where I used a rubber glue (called F.BS) that allows the superstructure to take apart from the hull if needed anytime in the future. It is also very waterproof, similar like siloplast. I balanced the boat in a bathtud using a spirit level and had to add some weight to the front part. I polished the windscreen with watch plexi glass polish chemical and replaced the rusty old screws with new ones.
Sep 07, 2019, 04:10 PM
Thread OP
The Barracuda is after its maiden voyage in the 21st century. The boat seems very nice on water, however it is very slow. Way too slow to be enjoyable. Maybe with a never motor it would work better, but the old motor and the Z drive is fitted together, so it would be very hard to change only the motor. Because of this issue the boat will remain a shelf queen in my small collection of vintage RC boats. I'm proud to have this unique boat in my collection, but I don't suggest anyone to restore this type of boat using the original motor.
Sep 07, 2019, 11:27 PM
I bail out, anywhere, anytime
Hello RCYard,

Very nice project and well done.
see these boats real functional we dreamed about as young boys afraid now they were forever gone

In that period that speed didnīt play a role, it even made the duration of our dream longer
or, maybe these motor magnets in that era still where a little bit stronger.

But THAN emptying the battery in shorter time and not always having the money to buy a new one.

Cees
Last edited by Taurus Flyer; Sep 08, 2019 at 12:05 AM. Reason: but............buy

Quick Reply