Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales

ECX 1/18 Temper Gen2 4WD Rock Crawler

These new and improved Rock Crawlers from ECX look like a lot of fun. They are built to handle tough terrain and the water proof electronics allow you to drive virtually anywhere.

Splash

Rock Crawling Fun for Under $150

These new and improved Rock Crawlers from ECX look like a lot of fun. They are built to handle tough terrain and the water proof electronics allow you to drive virtually anywhere. It's aggressive looking with giant wheels and a 4-link suspension for maximum articulation. It has an LED light bar for driving at night and larger servos than the previous version for better handling. You can create some fun courses in your backyard with this mini rock crawler. It comes in two colors, yellow and blue and it is ready to drive with everything you need in the box for $149.

Key Features:

• 380-size 32T brushed motor
  • LED Light bar
  • Waterproof electronics
  • 2mm plate aluminum chassis
  • Completely locked front and rear differentials
  • New four link suspension
  • Updated aluminum steering hardware
  • Updated aluminum front hubs
  • Updated axles
  • ECX® 2.4GHz Interference Free Transmitter, 2-Channel
  • Dynamite® 900mAh 6-cell NiMH battery
  • Dynamite NI-Mh charger included
  • Completely ready-to-run with everything needed in one box

Check out the ECX 1/18 Temper Gen2 4WD Rock Crawler Here

Jan 05, 2019, 02:14 PM
With its larger size, and 11” wheelbase, is this really still considered 1/18 scale?

It’s got a wheelbase longer than the Barrage, which opens it up to a lot of nice scale bodies, which is very nice, but the Barrage is 1/12. Where exactly does this fit in?
Jan 05, 2019, 02:15 PM
I’ll probably end up with one in the stable anyway, so I’m not really sure why I’d even need to ask questions
Jan 05, 2019, 06:32 PM
RCG Admin
Ha! It does seem a little large for 18th.
Jan 06, 2019, 01:47 AM
Very nice! I like it a lot. Small enough for indoor use, yet still big enough to handle outdoor terrain. Price is nice too...I was expecting it to be over $200 when I saw the pics!
Latest blog entry: My RC Garage: Boats
Jan 06, 2019, 09:53 AM
USA: LakeGeorge, New York
Thats probably the nicest little crawler ive seen so far, it doesn't look "cheaply" made.
Jan 07, 2019, 05:18 PM
Forward ever, backward never!
What control protocol does this ECX crawler run? Is it compatible with Spektrum DSMX, since ECX appears to fall under the Horizon Hobby umbrella?

I get the impression that RC trucks always come "ready to run," i.e. with a TX included. Why can't they offer a BNF version, as is common with airplanes and quads? I think it's a shame that customers are forced to end up with a pile of useless, low quality pistol grip TXs.

Edit: Reading up on news articles, it sure would be cool if we could pair this crawler with the new DX5 Rugged!
Last edited by Brainstorm; Jan 07, 2019 at 05:37 PM.
Jan 07, 2019, 07:16 PM
USA: LakeGeorge, New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brainstorm
What control protocol does this ECX crawler run? Is it compatible with Spektrum DSMX, since ECX appears to fall under the Horizon Hobby umbrella?

I get the impression that RC trucks always come "ready to run," i.e. with a TX included. Why can't they offer a BNF version, as is common with airplanes and quads? I think it's a shame that customers are forced to end up with a pile of useless, low quality pistol grip TXs.

Edit: Reading up on news articles, it sure would be cool if we could pair this crawler with the new DX5 Rugged!
Is that DX5 Rugged compatibility?
Jan 07, 2019, 08:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rclab1
Thats probably the nicest little crawler ive seen so far, it doesn't look "cheaply" made.
I agree, this one looks really nice. it moved up to the top of my "RC wish list"
Latest blog entry: My RC Garage: Boats
Jan 07, 2019, 08:54 PM
looks like it uses the ecx barrage gen 2 axles!
Jan 08, 2019, 01:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by reptileman
looks like it uses the ecx barrage gen 2 axles!
I noticed that too! Also liking the tires, wouldn’t mind grabbing a set of those for the Barrage and seeing how they run with the extra weight.
Jan 08, 2019, 03:09 PM
Most of the lower end ECX stuff doesn't use the Spectrum protocol. They use a protocol from one of the various overseas rx/tx manufacturers. Based on the manual for this, it appears to use the same rx/tx as the Barrage, which is NOT spectrum compatible.
Jan 09, 2019, 09:47 AM
Forward ever, backward never!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim85IROC
Most of the lower end ECX stuff doesn't use the Spectrum protocol. They use a protocol from one of the various overseas rx/tx manufacturers. Based on the manual for this, it appears to use the same rx/tx as the Barrage, which is NOT spectrum compatible.
Thanks, Jim. I was afraid that was the case.

Do we know which 3rd party protocol the RX/TX from the Barrage and this Temper uses? However, if I need a multi-protocol module to avoid using this ECX with the RTF controller, then I might as well stick with cheap direct-from-China toys and skip the HH middleman.

Thank goodness we still have an older Losi micro crawler that runs DSM2/DSMX.
Jan 11, 2019, 01:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brainstorm
Thanks, Jim. I was afraid that was the case.

Do we know which 3rd party protocol the RX/TX from the Barrage and this Temper uses? However, if I need a multi-protocol module to avoid using this ECX with the RTF controller, then I might as well stick with cheap direct-from-China toys and skip the HH middleman.

Thank goodness we still have an older Losi micro crawler that runs DSM2/DSMX.
I'm not sure. I haven't opened the radio to see whose stuff is inside. I think that this is the same protocol as what the Amp and the small trucks use, and those have been around long enough that you should be able to get some info on it.
Jan 12, 2019, 12:33 AM
Quads & Planes, cant beat them
You can usually just switch out the receiver.

Quick Reply