Jan 09, 2019, 03:15 PM
Ditto, here. I enjoy designing and building, and I put a lot of time into my models. It frequently takes me 4-6 months to draw a model, but only 1 or 2 to build one. I've been flying for a long time, so I (and my wife, who's also a long-time flier), rarely crash. Usually, we give away or sell models because we're tired of them or because I need room for my newest builds.

As I stated earlier, my wife's shrink-film covered, wooden-framed ARF J-3 weighs 6 oz. more than my paper & glue covered, foam construction model, even though both have the same wing area and same power systems.

I'm moved onto foam as my primary construction material because I'm allergic to balsa dust. That foam is less expensive, easier to find, and of more consistent quality than balsa. What I was seeking with this thread is a way to shave more weight off my models, plus lessen the need to paint them.

CD
to remove ads between posts
Jan 09, 2019, 04:51 PM
Build straight - Fly twisty
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Dunsel
<snip> What I was seeking with this thread is a way to shave more weight off my models, plus lessen the need to paint them.
CD
Perhaps you could look at printing the paper before it is glued to the plane.
Like this: https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...ig-Pink-Beaver
Jan 09, 2019, 10:10 PM
Whiskers, I've been thinking that method would be a good one for doing German WWI lozenge camouflage. Take it to Staples and get it printed slightly oversize, then cut & glue on (like some of the old Renwal plastic kits). The main issue is that the underlying foam color has shown through in all my tests (I can't get blue or green foam in my area, just pink...not exactly a WWI scale color).

CD
Jan 10, 2019, 01:00 AM
Build straight - Fly twisty
Hmmm.
You may have to confine yourself to modelling these.
Jan 10, 2019, 05:55 AM
Youtube channel : solentlifeuk
Quote:
As I stated earlier, my wife's shrink-film covered, wooden-framed ARF J-3 weighs 6 oz. more than my paper & glue covered, foam construction model, even though both have the same wing area and same power systems.
Wood vs Foam !! Given that there are very few actual Balsa models out there in kit or built form - that is no surprise. The revolution of using Lite Ply instead has near knocked balsa out ... plus of course the environmental restrictions on logging balsa trees now.

Nigel
Latest blog entry: Difference of Forums

Quick Reply