This thread is privately moderated by rclad, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Jan 02, 2019, 08:55 PM
"I will return" Federico
Thread OP
Discussion

Extreme Flight 104" Extra 300 V2

After purchasing my second giant scale plane last year, I hoped it would be a while before having to make another investment in a big plane. I've been enjoying flying and competing with my electric EF/3DHS 95" Extra. It's a very capable plane, and would be competitive through the Intermediate class in IMAC (#IamIMAC). I began thinking, though, that a 35% plane would perform a little better than my 30% did against the 43% giants, especially in the windy conditions that are inevitable at a contest, and be easier to see and judge.

So, here it is, another Extreme Flight plane! The 104" Extra 300 V2 will be electric powered, and it's going to carry 10,600 10,000 mAh of capacity from 35C Glacier 65C Dinogy batteries (4x 5300 mAh in 14S2P 2x 10,000 in 12S configuration) for an estimated AUW of 30 28.5 lbs. The extra capacity (over a typical 3D setup) will allow me to fly two Intermediate sequences with plenty of time to spare for practice at home, or loitering in the air for those contests that run dual flight lines.

The motor setup on this plane will use Aeroplayin's belt driven gear reduction unit, or GRU, that will allow this plane to use an inexpensive brushless heli motor rather than an expensive direct drive system. The combined weight of the GRU and heli motor will be less than a direct drive system and be more efficient, up to 91%! The numbers from eCalc indicate this setup will give me up to 10 minutes of flying time doing IMAC aerobatics.

See the pic below for my wiring schematic and components. [EDIT: See next comment with revised schematic for lighter setup.]

Stay tuned for the inevitable customization to make the conversion to electric and make life at the field easier.
Last edited by rclad; Mar 30, 2019 at 11:25 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Jan 18, 2019, 05:10 PM
"I will return" Federico
Thread OP
Here is my latest 12S configuration, which drops a whopping 2 pounds from the 14S setup above. I'm very excited about automating the canopy latches. The 104" canopy requires six socket head bolts to secure. They're not even thumb screws! That may be OK for the gas guys who don't need to pop open the hatch every time they refuel, but that is unacceptable for an electric plane.

I still need to design a battery tray for the four two main packs (if Dinogy can make 10,000 mAh packs for me [EDIT: They can - yes!]) that will make all the connections for me. That was the best feature I added to my 87" Extra, and the most annoying part of flying my 95" which didn't have it to save weight. Companies making electric ARFs need to work with battery companies to come up with a better Plug-N-Play design!
Last edited by rclad; Mar 30, 2019 at 11:27 AM.

Quick Reply