Feb 13, 2019, 10:24 PM
I'm a pilot, 100 yrs too late
Thread OP
Sorry about the lack of update.
I'm waiting for my 5m roll. I would like to try Koverall one day but never have and thought it would have shipped by now. I have a Pietenpol 1\5 scale Pietenpol the board now in the early stages which seems like a natural for Koveral. I may give that a try when the Pete is ready for clothes . I'll post my impressions of the Oratex when it comes in.
to remove ads between posts
Feb 15, 2019, 07:51 PM
Thread OP
BUSA says it's on its way....
Feb 16, 2019, 12:20 AM
I saw an announcement on Facebook, saying that it has arrived! Who'll be first to test it out?
Feb 21, 2019, 05:34 PM
Rhinebeck CD-99,00,01,02
I have an Eindecker in the works and am interested in how this new Oratex works out. Does anyone know if the model weight version BUSA advertises will have the adhesive backing??
Feb 27, 2019, 08:24 AM
Thread OP
I received mine yesterday. I will try to get some results tonight.

I'll wegh like sized pieces (oratex vs solarex) as I have electronic gram scale for my DLG builds. and plan to make a mini frame and cover it to practice with and see what it does. It does have the adhesive backing and from the look and feel and color (white) it seems to extremely similar to the eye.
Feb 27, 2019, 04:42 PM
Rhinebeck CD-99,00,01,02
Dave at BUSA told me the adhesive on Oratex is stronger than what was on Solartex. Let us know what you find out in your tests. Tom
Feb 27, 2019, 08:12 PM
Thread OP
Below is for a 5m roll of 'white'.

My very unscientific tests:
I just cut a random size and see the following:
1.75" x 13" Solartex: 1.7 g
1/75" x 13" Oratex 1.4 g

The two pics are my Citabria wing bottom with Solartex and just laying Oratex on top next to it.
I realize one is shrunk and one is not but the Solar seemed to have more sheen to it, with Ora being just a touch more dull and in color just a tad too.

Holding both, Solartex felt more plastic like while Oratex felt a bit more fabricy as well as thin \ pliable.

The product comes with a large sheet of instructions with pictures printed front and back. Includes more detail than Solartex, Ultracote or Monokote. I purposely did not read the instructions and just started with the setting I use for Soartex with my run of mill top-flite sealing iron. The heat required felt the same and it felt just as sticky on the wood once cooled. I did notice the white was not as opague as solartex and a hint of balsa came through. This most likely would not happen or be much less noticeable with other colors. You can see this hint of balsa on the little test frame I made.

Ironing on a patch, going around corners, stretching it a bit all seemed similar to solartex. The pic shows a 'dent' down the middle as I wanted to see what happened with a long cut and just putting a patch over an open bay. It needs quite a bit of heat from the gun to shrink tight and I'm using a covering type heat gun but it's so I don't remember the brand and the label is gone.

With solartex, you'll occasionally get 'strings' from the weave but I didn't get a sense of that issue from the Oratex.

The only ding I see is it's not as opaque as solartex in white at least, but I think that's due to the color being white, the feel of thinness and more fabricy to the touch, though mostly it being white. I'm wondering if a dusting of white rattle can paint would help with the ability to hide the structure better...
Last edited by Thermalin; Feb 28, 2019 at 11:44 AM.
Mar 01, 2019, 01:21 AM
Balsadustus Producerus
Oratex is higher in fabricity?
Latest blog entry: Single Channel Case
Mar 01, 2019, 04:50 PM
Thread OP
Made up word !?
More fabric like
Mar 02, 2019, 12:36 AM
Thread OP
Update since I have actually used it now...
The Opaqueness (in honor of Balsabird could use some work. I have a feeling now the colored options may also be a bit see through but I have no idea.

It applies super easy to apply and shirnks drum tight and also has a much more fabric like texture and look to it. Again I think this is possible due what seems to be less color impregnation in the weave. I wish the white was more opague and look forward to hear what others have to say about the colored versions. I think this would be nice on my PIetenpol that I'm building as provides a more 30's look. with the 5 meter roll I'll have plenty left over for Pete.
Mar 07, 2019, 10:27 AM
From Thermalin's description it sounds like and looks a bit like the old Super Coverite.
Mar 07, 2019, 12:46 PM
Rhinebeck CD-99,00,01,02
But much much lighter.
Mar 07, 2019, 05:36 PM
Super Coverite was not much heavier than Solartex, it may have been lighter in weigh, I cant remember its seems like it has been 15-20 years since Super Coverite was available.
Nov 20, 2019, 03:40 PM
Arizona Models
We at Arizona Models just ran our first run of Printed 5 Color Oratex Fabric. Doing some Iron Test Tonight. Results in the morning. We can print any scale now. We will be offering 3 Color, 4 Color, and 5 Color Lozenge Fabric Iron -on
Jan 08, 2020, 01:29 PM
Arizona Models
I am still selling SolarTex Printed Fabric. I provide German WWI 3, 4, and 5 Color.

Quick Reply