May 28, 2019, 03:08 PM
Veni Vidi Volavi
Thread OP
Well we are done. Finished off the last couple of things last night. Added the flying and landing wires for the other wing panel using nylon carpet thread. made up a battery hatch cover from some .010" styrene sheet and some scrap pieces of 1/8" x 1/4" balsa as per the plans. It snaps in place over the stringers that outline the hatch area. Painted it red so that is done. Installed the 1300 2S LiPo on a battery tray that is vertical right at the front of the hatch opening. Due to the wing receiver tubes that cross the hatch area battery access is kinda tight but the vertical tray allows the pack to be put in and secured without too much screaming and yelling (or as Pat says modelers adjectives). With the battery installed a quick balance check showed it to be spot on using the balance point indicated on the plans. Only other real thing left to do is to add a stripe down the fuselage side and onto the cowling, which may or may not happen. See what my ambition looks like and if I distracted by another build!!

So we be ready to commit aviation on the SRE as soon as my flying buddy Ron and I can clear and coordinate our schedules, hopefully in the next week or so.

AUW is about 21 oz so that should be OK.

Brian

Veni Vidi Volavi

I came I saw I flew
to remove ads between posts
May 28, 2019, 07:11 PM
Nice !!! Pretty cool that the CG came out correctly on the first try! I really gotta' finish this build I am doing, and try one of Pat's creations... Have fun when the maiden happens, Mike
Jun 13, 2019, 02:33 PM
Veni Vidi Volavi
Thread OP
Well if the weather cooperates we should be able to get a test flight in this Saturday at out monthly gathering at Mike dales place. Forecast is not looking too great right now but it is usually completely opposite of what they forecast so we shall see.

Brian

Veni Vidi Volavi

I came I saw I flew
Jun 15, 2019, 09:53 AM
Gorilla glue rocks
Looks great. Good luck with the flight. Hopefully little wind, since your plane is so light.

Jon
Jun 15, 2019, 03:24 PM
Veni Vidi Volavi
Thread OP
Winds were blowing 10-15 today so the WACO stayed in the hangar. Hopefully later on next week, we shall have to see what the weather does.

Brian

Veni Vidi Volavi

I came I saw I flew
Aug 11, 2019, 01:54 PM
Veni Vidi Volavi
Thread OP
Haven't had a chance to commit aviation on the SRE yet due to windy conditions and schedule with my flying buddy Ron not lining up yet. Hopefully soon though!!

Brian

Veni Vidi Volavi

I came I saw I flew
Sep 02, 2019, 01:41 PM
Veni Vidi Volavi
Thread OP
Well we finally had a chance to commit aviation on the Waco today at our clubs annual Labor Day picnic. The grass was wet and clumpy so after a couple of attempts at a takeoff I hand launched the beast. Immediately it was apparent that the SRE was very tail heavy to the point of almost being uncontrollable. Ron did a magnificent job of keeping the SRE in the air and getting it back on the ground. The landing was a bit rough on the starboard wings and the N strut broke in several places. Easy to repair. The left lower panel also has some minor damage at the root rib/TE junction but that should also be an easy fix. Once repaired will have to recheck the balance (seemed to be spot on according to the plans) and adjust as needed. Will try again shortly.

Brian

Veni Vidi Volavi

I came Is aw I flew
Last edited by Brian Allen; Aug 21, 2020 at 05:04 PM.
Sep 02, 2019, 06:08 PM
Into the burning blue
Sounds like you got away lightly Brian. Easy repairs as you say, but annoying to lose the pristine so early. That design should fly fine when you get the balance right.

Good luck

Alec
Sep 03, 2019, 02:04 PM
Veni Vidi Volavi
Thread OP
baltic

Yeah got away easy due to Ron's superior piloting skills. Always the one to go tofor first flights!!

Put the SRE up on the board today. Repaired the broken N strut which was easy. A couple of the ribs on the lower right panel broke loose from the TE at the inboard end to I cut some covering away and reglued them and ironed some patches on. Also tightened up the covering in a few spots. Rechecked the plans for the correct CG and checked the SRE. Found I had the balance about 3/8" to 1/2" too far aft which explains the wackiness of the first flight. Added a oz of weight to the motor box which seems to get it too the right position. So we are good to go for the next attempt as soon as Ron and my schedules can overlap.

Brian

Veni Vidi Volavi

I came I saw I flew
Jul 30, 2020, 09:55 AM
Veni Vidi Volavi
Thread OP
I received a PM from a fellow RC GRoups member today asking how I attached the wheel pants. I looked back on my build thread and realized that I neglected to show that so here goes.

The pants are held on with a wheel collar that is solder to a strip of brass which has 2 nuts on it that screws attach to from the inside of the pant.

Basically I took a piece of .015" or .025" x 1/4" K&S brass strip (can not remember what thickness I used, either would work) about 1 1/4" long. At each end about 1/4" or so in from the end I drilled a hole for a 2-46 bolt/ I the screwed a nut down at each hole position using a 2-56 screw and then silver soldered the nuts in place to the brass strip. I then removed the screws. In the center of the strip I silver soldered a 1/16" ( I think that is the LG wire diameter!!) wheel collar to the strip being very careful not to get any solder in the grub screw hole/threaded area. I then drilled a 1/16" diameter hole through the brass strip using the 1/16" hole in the wheel collar as a guide.

I then located the place on the assembled wheel pant where the 1/16" wire axle would go through the inboard side and place the strip up against the pant at that location and marked the location of the two holes at either end. I then drilled out those two locations on the pant for a 2-56 screw.

Normally I attach the strip on the inside of the wheel pant but the ones with the WACO are very skinny so the strip is attached on the outside. I like to install it on the inside when possible as it looks tidier but we can not in this case. A couple of short 2-56 screws are then used to attach the strip to the outside of the wheel pant with the heads of the screws on the inside of the pant so you must make sure to use a low head profile screw so you do not get any interference with the wheel.

To assemble the wheel is placed in the pant and the pant is slipped on the LG wire. When the wire exits the other side of the wheel you need to slip on another wheel collar. Might have to spread the pant apart a bit here as the clearances are tight. When the LG wire is through the wheel and the outer wheel collar is on (might have to fiddle fool around a bit to get the correct axle length) and the pant is in the correct orientation the grub screws in both the outer wheel collar and the wheel collar on the mounting strip are tightened.

This setup will allow the wheel pant to rotate somewhat depending on how tightly you can torque down the wheel collar grub screw in the attachment strip. I will sometimes use a 2-56 SHCS here instead of the supplied grub screw as you can torque the SHCS down harder as compared to the grub screw included with the collar.

I have attached a picture that I hope help explains what the above tries to convey. Drop me a not if you have and questions.

Brian

Veni Vidi Volavi

I came I saw I flew
Aug 21, 2020, 05:13 PM
Veni Vidi Volavi
Thread OP
Well my flying buddy Ron and I finally got a chance to retry the SRE today. Previous attempts had shown a very tail heavy condition so recently I very carefully rechecked the CG and added a bit more weight to the nose to get the CG forward a bit more. Am thinking that I might try to relocated the battery closer to the firewall to see if I can get rid of some of the nose weight I have added to lighten her up a bit. Will advise.

In any case we went out today and committed aviation on her. The field had just been cut and was very wet so the takeoff roll was kinda slow and long but once in the air it was very apparent that the extra nose weight helped tremendously. She flew fine after Ron did a number of trim passes. Flies at a nice scale like speed at about 2/3's throttle. Not a lot of reserve power on the 2S setup probably due to the nose weight I had to add hence my thoughts on relocating the flight battery In any case we got a nice 7 minute flight on her. Tried out the flaps and really did not seem to do much. Some adverse yaw is present so coordinated rudder is needed to make nice turns. Ron shot a couple of landing approached in both the clean condition and with the flaps down. Sucker just continued to float and did not want to some down. Ron had to make a long and slow setup and just as he was setting her down a small gust popped up and caused it to hit kinda hard. Bent the rear LG wires but that seemed to be the extent of any damage.

All in all she looks nice in the air. Think I will study moving the battery and rducing some of the nose weight to see if that helps the overall flight characteristics.

Did not bring my camera so I do not have any flight shots. Nest time we hopes.

Brian

Veni Vidi Volavi

I came I saw I flew
Aug 22, 2020, 12:20 PM
My experience with the Tritle C-140 was that the landing gear wire needed to be a little stiffer and mounted more securely to cope with frequent flying/landings in less than very calm wind conditions on non-ideal surfaces. These designs can stand some judicious beefing up and still fly nice and scale-like. A little extra power, if needed, using 3S vs 2S can be helpful too.
Sep 23, 2021, 08:27 PM
Brian, Do you remember what color Tamiya paint that matched the Lightex Ferrari Red you used on this plane? I'm actually trying to find a covering to match an out of production ARF. The color of the covering is very close to Tamiya TS-49. From what I can tell from the pictures it may be close to the covering and paint you used. Thanks
Sep 24, 2021, 06:47 AM
Veni Vidi Volavi
Thread OP
Joe

Do not recall offhand but I will check my stash of Tamiya paint and see if I have the can still and will let you know.

Brian

Veni Vidi Volavi

I came I saw I flew
Sep 24, 2021, 08:11 PM
Great. Thanks

Quick Reply