Dec 31, 2018, 11:36 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

Alligator tour boat crazy thrust

I bought this for my 6yr old for x-mas.
needless to say it was useless with brushed motor and nimh pack. so right away I slapped a 3s 1300mah in it.
woke it up but the motor vibration was horrible.
so I dug through my stuff and found a old esc with broken wires . fixed it and tested size with a Traxxas 16th scale motor
it fit perfect so it was a go project.
I'm a plane /drone guy normally but this thing seemed cool.
I had a prop adapter and 3 and 4 blade 5x4 prop so it was going pretty smooth at this point.
mounted motor and prop .
plugged in battery .
gave it a shot of throttle . and almost crapped !
thing just about launched off my table and blew things all over the place.
4000kv motor and 3 blade 4x5 is just silly.
vibration is gone . but I doubt I could hit full throttle with this .
pretty amazing . I'm going to test it tomorrow . .
my son likes paw patrol so I glued on sky lol
to remove ads between posts
Jan 01, 2019, 12:48 AM
Grumpa Tom
Too much for a 6 yo I think.

Crazy fast airboats are a lot of fun. But be aware they do not/will not turn even with full rudder applied, unless you have the prop spinning. So it is easy to run into things because you expect it turn and it won't. So blip the throttle with the rudder turned in order to yaw the hull.
Jan 01, 2019, 04:01 PM
Thread OP
Its pretty awesome , I was really impressed how well everything worked, trailer .. boat . even though I couldnt test it in water I worked good on frozen ground and ice.
snow should be pretty fun too

Aquacraft alligator tours (3 min 52 sec)
Jan 01, 2019, 05:12 PM
Grumpa Tom
You have a reversing ESC on that? Well that should be pretty handy.
Jan 01, 2019, 06:09 PM
Thread OP
ya it works as a brake too. I can slow it down pretty good. after I put the phone away I did some faster passes and was able to hit reverse hard and slow it down quick
Jan 01, 2019, 07:46 PM
Doug found some 6 blade props for a drone and it really moves on a 395 Mabuchi 0ut of a NQD Ditch Boat(Jet) that I had laying around. The Fwd-Rev ESC is awesome, easy on reverse as it will bury the stern.
Jan 02, 2019, 08:18 PM
Electric RC Addict
This boat is a blast once converted to brushless.

I converted mine to brushless as well but went with a rather more conservative setup. I currently run mine with an E-flite 2000kv Six Series motor, Master Airscrew 5.5x4.5 prop and a Castle Thunderbird 54A ESC running a Glacier 1300mAh 30C 3S lipo.

This setup gives me great speed, efficiency - just barely gets warm and a good 10-15 minutes of run time.
Jan 03, 2019, 08:00 PM
Thread OP
just did a draw test and I'm pulling 43.5amps at 70% and 457 watts . that's more then I expected. tried it in the snow tonight and it's a blast. my 6yr old loved it .
put on a better drone prop after chipping the old one I had.
Jan 03, 2019, 08:35 PM
Thread OP
I'm only running a 25amp esc so I might drop a prop size or throttle down to 60% .
Jan 04, 2019, 10:45 PM
Electric RC Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by doug14
I'm only running a 25amp esc so I might drop a prop size or throttle down to 60% .
I would definitely upgrade the ESC if possible.

I decided to go with the Castle Thunderbird 54A because I figured it would run cooler in the VERY cramped environment of this boat and it does but then again, the motor I'm running only draws about 20-21A at full throttle.

Note, this is an airplane ESC and in order to properly use a pistol grip TX with it, you will need what is called a Pistix adapter unless you rubber band the throttle trigger to stop in the full reverse position.
Jan 17, 2019, 06:52 AM
Thread OP
I will probably change it in the summer. for winter in cold temps it should survive . plus running it at 60% keeps my amps down.
using a surface esc seems like an easier option.

Quick Reply