This thread is privately moderated by jricchio, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Dec 31, 2018, 06:29 PM
quit typing and go fly
Thread OP
Build Log

BH Tornado / Strikemaster Clone

Found this BH Tornado ARF on line. Thought it looked very similar to the old MidWest Strikemaster Kit.
Recovered it and added some missels. I also installed an eflite bomb drop release below for fun fly events. Powered by a OS 46FX. Decals from Cali Graphics.
Last edited by jricchio; Dec 31, 2018 at 06:34 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Jan 01, 2019, 01:42 PM
EB-66C Team Member
Looks AWESOME!!

If possible, I'd love to see a flight video.
Feb 03, 2019, 11:53 AM
Wada ya mean, over engineered?

Wow - great job!

jricchio, First thank's for service (retired C-5/C-141 crew chief here)! I presume you were involved with C-130's?

While looking at one of the Phoenix Spitfire threads, at the bottom of one of your post's, your 'Latest Blog Entry - BH Tornado / Strikemaster Clone' caught my eye. I had just downloaded a copy of the RCM Strikemaster plans and construction article day before yesterday for consideration as my next build (always thought the original Strikemaster was a sharp looking model) and I didn't know this model existed! I have to say after searching for the model and seeing the stock scheme that you did a beautiful job on refinishing her. For a model this size though the price point seems almost to good to be true!

A few questions - I was just wondering about your thought's on the construction of the Tornado, balsa covered foam core wing like the original or built-up, any quality issues (thing's you had to fix), how hard was it to strip the model, and have you had a chance to fly her yet? With your weather back there I assume the answer to the last question is probably 'negative'.

Sorry to inundate you with so many questions but seriously considering ordering one.

Thanks!

P.S. Just took a closer look at the photo's and see that the wing appears to be built up.
Last edited by cubcrafter60; Feb 03, 2019 at 12:21 PM. Reason: Added P.S.
Feb 03, 2019, 04:13 PM
quit typing and go fly
Thread OP

Strikemaster Clone

The Tornado is a solid airframe. The one thing I didn’t care for is the wings are joined buy a aluminum tube, but the sleve in the wings for the tube is made of cardboard. The wings are balsa ribs and sheeted halfway. Pretty solid. The original covering was heavy duty plastic with a glue backing. I didn’t use a heat gun, just cut it and peeled it off. Use some care taking the covering off. It did pull some balsa grain off in spots when I pulled too fast. Mainly on the fuse and the skinned area of the wings. Unfortunately I have not had a chance to fly it yet. It’s winter hear in the Chicago area and I fly off a grass field. I’m also a fair weather flyer. Little wind and I hate the cold. I’ve never recovered from the hot weather being in the desert for two years in the military. Thanks for the compliments. And yes, C-130H2 Crew Chief. 25 years, Guard & Reserve and activated for OIF/OEF 2003 -2005. Started on KC-135As , then KC-135Es. Most of my career was on the 130. The best years I should say. Last two years were on KC-135Rs.
I bought my Tornado from American Pioneer Hobbies. Link: http://www.americanpioneerhobbies.com/tornado.html
Let me know if you have any other questions.
Last edited by jricchio; Feb 03, 2019 at 10:53 PM.
Feb 03, 2019, 11:08 PM
Thanks for sharing your experience with it jricchio, seriously considering ordering one this week. The Eagle looks to be the same model in a different scheme and possibly different wing tips but I'll be doing something similar to what you did with yours. I'm cleaning up a Strikemaster profile so I can start planing out a color scheme (looking at a VF-111 Sundowners theme on mine) so I can get a Callie order in.

I retired from active duty in 1998 and spent 15 years on C-5's and 141's at Travis AFB and 5 years in Transient Alert (1 1/2 years in Athens Greece and 3 1/2 years in Panama (awesome job for an airplane freak). The highlight of my career was probably getting to go up in a AC-130A (55-0011 Night Stalker) for a live fire exercise.

Thank's again!

Robin
Feb 07, 2019, 10:21 AM
jricchio, Sorry, one last question, is there a hatch up front or is the fuel tank stuffed in from the wing opening? Still working on my color scheme (this a Strikemaster profile).
Feb 07, 2019, 12:20 PM
quit typing and go fly
Thread OP

Strikemaster Clone

There is no hatch. You are correct, the fuel tank feeds through the wing area. There are cutouts in the forward frame where the tank fits. You just need to glue something to keep it seated forward. I glued in a small 1/4" x 1/4" balsa stock that can easily be cut out if you need to service the tank.
I like you design!
Latest blog entry: Hangar 9 P-51D 40 ARF
Feb 07, 2019, 09:14 PM
Thanks jricchio, appreciate the info. On the profile, thanks, I usually try to get a profile to try out a couple of ideas before I commit to doing it on a model.

Quick Reply