Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Jan 08, 2005, 01:41 AM
Thread OP

Full flying V-Tail

I have been looking at building a scale Orlice, which used a full flying v-tail. I noticed the other model Orlices out there use a normal vtail with smalll surfaces. Has anyone tried a full flying V-tail?

Kristopher
to remove ads between posts
Jan 08, 2005, 01:57 AM
Wow that would be so sweet! What size of scale are you thinking of building? Im not familiar with the Orlice but maybe it would would work to mount a mini or micro servo right in the tail and drive each ruddervator half directly connected to the flying surface?
or
Given some of the high quality slop free v-tail hardware that is used on the molded stuff like Pikes and Mueller planes I would think you could use some of them along with some carbon pivot points.

got any photos of the full scale Orlice? Could you build a scale version of its drive system.
just my 2cents
Greg
Jan 08, 2005, 08:54 AM
Thread OP
I have not decided on size yet, but on the smaller end of the scale. It will probably be between 72-100 inches. I want it to be a decent thermal airplane, as we dont get to do much sloping around here.

Kristopher

Orlice:
Jan 11, 2005, 05:49 PM
Thats a great looking scale subject! At 2m to 2.5m its going to be on the very heavy side for wing loading, which can make thermaling less "enjoyable" I would really encourage you to go larger say atleast 3m or more.

I had another thought about the full flying v-tail.. would there be enough room to make a disc on the end of a torque rod through the ruddervators. Then run a closed loop system around each disc to each servo???? Im thinking the torque rods will have to be hollow carbon rods not sure how the discs would attach to them.

Greg
Jan 11, 2005, 07:26 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by fly1milehi
Thats a great looking scale subject! At 2m to 2.5m its going to be on the very heavy side for wing loading, which can make thermaling less "enjoyable" I would really encourage you to go larger say atleast 3m or more.

Thats why you build light! Actually I have a Salto of similar size that is a near what people would consider heavy, but thermals very well.

I think the full flying v-tail may be a bit much to setup on a small bird.

Kristopher
Jan 12, 2005, 10:30 AM
soarkraut
I tried full flying stabs, worked well, bit heavier than the regular. The most suprising thing
was the lack of authority. I would have thought that a full movement would give me more authority, not the case. This was later confirmed by the local Aero engineer.

pete
Jan 16, 2005, 12:08 AM
Kristopher.
Please email me at kylekroker@yahoo.com
I own a 1/5 scale Salto. Would like addvise on finishing up this nice model.
Made a RG15 wing for it for performance. Does yours have spoilers or flaps?
I am considering flaps for this model due to landing on the slope flaps make it easy to land. Ideas..
Kyle

Quick Reply