Dec 31, 2018, 11:52 AM
Build it, don't buy it
Thread OP
Discussion

F86 Sabre

Two planes on my build list, the F86 and the CF100.

What they have in common was they were used as observation aircraft for the first flights of the Avro Arrow. Having just completed a couple of Arrows, https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...wo-Avro-Arrows thought it would be cool to recreate those initial flights. Get some pictures and some drone footage.

Here is an historic image:

Here is the first Arrow I made, over our friend Adrian's acreage:

The F86 Sabre

A friend gave me a little 50mm fan, which was the starting point. Grabbed a few three views off the internet and did a bit of scaling, providing for the fan diameter and a 1/2" for the foam fuse. and ended up with a wingspan around 24", a scale that should look good flying next to the smaller of the two Arrows.

Jet will be made from foam covered in Econocoat or similiar.

Dec 29-30, 5 Hours.

Trying a new way to cut my wing blanks, well new to me anyway. I have always weighed down the foam and cut with the wire bow in hand, this time I moved the foam under a stationary wire. After a few bad cuts to get a feel for it, the last four turned out really well, way more control doing it this way.

A front and back section of the fuselage is made in two halves with 2"" foam tacked together, and cut round with templates and a hot wire, the rear section tapered.
Front and back sections are then also tacked together and the fuselage sanded to shape. Once happy with the contours, all the pieces are pulled apart, and the inner duct is cut out, again with round templates and a hot wire. The resulting duct narrows a bit towards the front of the aircraft, and will be somewhat impeded by the wing spar and radio compartments so cheater holes ahead of the fan will be necessary to provide enough air.
Fan is glued into lower front fuse, and the top glued on, Two rear halves also glued together. Once dry meeting surface were trued up a bit and the front and aft sections glued together.

Wing roots are contoured with a hot wire and the fuse templates where they meet the bottom of the round fuselage.

Jan 1, 4 hours

Drilled out holes for the insertion of a carbon fiber arrow shaft, and join two wing halves, add balsa to trailing edge where control surface meets, and sand wing to shape. Make up vertical and horizontal stabs out of foam, add balsa to leading and aft edges, sand to shape.

Pics soon.....

REDO:
While covering wing panels, iron was a bit too hot and melted the foam. Destroyed everything and started again, which allowed me to make some changes that will improve the build and I won't lose as much sleep trying to fit everything into such a small package.
New build is slightly larger, thicker fuse to accommodate the electronics without too much interference in the ducting.

Ready to cover again tonight, so I am back to where this build left off.

Jan 21,
Plane mostly covered, control surfaces hinged and installed, wings and stabs glued on. aileron servos installed, grooves cut for elevator and rudder pushrods. Preliminary weigh in, 10 ozs, final RTF weight should be around 12 ozs. Balance is going to be a bit of a challenge without adding weight to the nose, we'll see.
Last edited by foamnpacktape; Jan 21, 2019 at 02:01 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Dec 31, 2018, 11:53 AM
Build it, don't buy it
Thread OP
Not much of a build thread, my F86 is ready to fly. AUW came in just under 14 oz's , thrust to weight is well over 1 to 1. Took some liberties on the paint scheme to help in orientation, but the scale outline is decent. I have about 30 hours into it.

Ran up the fan and it picked up a pretty severe vibration. Cut in through the bottom and tediously removed the rotor from the fan. Pretty tiny unit to balance, but I messed with it on my prop balancer, added significant amounts of metal tape to three blade tips on one side to get a semblance of balance and reinstalled.

Still a tiny bit of vibration, but much better and I can live with it.

Maiden was to be last Sunday, the F86 along with my UMX F27, but the wind was howling. Both planes can handle the wind quite well I am sure, but probably better to wait for better conditions.

Next Sunday is going to be miserable as well with highs in the negative teens.
Last edited by foamnpacktape; Jan 30, 2019 at 09:53 AM.
Jan 30, 2019, 10:00 AM
Build it, don't buy it
Thread OP
Gonna give this one a bump, just in case there is interest, not much of a build thread, but if anyone has questions about details of the build, ask away.

A friend, Adrian has often mentioned the Tutor jet as one of his dream planes, anyone have some good pictures, 3 views, plans, or links to kits, or RTF's of this aircraft. This will be my next build, if it survives maiden I will pass it along to Adrian, I have too many planes anyway, and my greatest joys are building and maidens.
Jan 30, 2019, 10:15 AM
treefinder
It'll be interesting to see how she flies. I have a couple of 50mm fans looking for a home, and am unsure how to size the plane for them, so I will be waiting for your report. I think we got your weather today, though so lots of inside doings! -7 this morning.
Jan 30, 2019, 11:10 AM
Build it, don't buy it
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by springer
It'll be interesting to see how she flies. I have a couple of 50mm fans looking for a home, and am unsure how to size the plane for them, so I will be waiting for your report. I think we got your weather today, though so lots of inside doings! -7 this morning.
It will be at least a couple of weeks before I can get it in the air. High of -20 C on Sunday, which is our flying day. But all winter there has only been a couple of days where the weather shut down our fun, which is pretty good for Calgary, so I shouldn't complain.
Mar 11, 2019, 08:53 AM
Build it, don't buy it
Thread OP
It was cold and windy, but I had to give it a go. Bernie got ready to launch and as I throttled up, it torqued out of his hands, went knife edge, but accelerated like a rocket. Manage to catch it and level it out with mere inches between the ground and right wing tip. Climbs aggressively, at 14 ozs and about 20 ozs of thrust, Very responsive, had to severely limit the travel, but once I am familiar with it I should be able to handle higher rates, it tracks beautifully.
Top speed is about 60 to 70 mph, and at the low end it will slow to a crawl.

Very happy, can't wait to get some drone pics of it and the Arrow together.

Quick Reply