Dec 31, 2018, 11:40 AM
Thread OP
Discussion

2019 TPG Fun Fly Series Schedule

Happy New Year Everyone!!

I thought I’d put the 2019 schedule out again, and reminder for the next Fun Fly event at Torrey Pines Glider Port, January 19th. It’s the years Kickoff Event, and like in drag racing, its’ “run what ya brung.”

You’ll also notice, in June, there’s the world famous event of the Katie Martin International Tribute fly in. I attended this event in 2018 for my first time, and it was absolutely amazing – don’t miss this one.

All of these dates below are on Saturday’s, and if you haven’t purchased a yearly pass, ($200) for the Glider Port, it’s $10 a day. Make sure you bring your AMA card, and ensure that you’ve been checked-out to fly safely. There’s more details here, http://www.torreypinesgulls.org/torr...glider-port/on the Torrey Pines Gulls page. The dates below are also on the TPG newsletter and the calendar, and I’ll also remind everyone of these dates a few weeks before they happen, as well.

• Jan 19th – Kickoff Event
• Mar 23rd – Followed by Happy Hour @ AleSmith Brewery
• May 25th – Foamies
• June 1st - Katie Martin Int’l Tribute – Not a Gulls Only Fun Fly event, but International Event
• July 27th – TWF/ PNF – that’s Twisty Wings & Pointy Nosed birds
• Aug 24th – Scaleies
• Sept 21st – Old School Vintage/ Crunchies
• Nov 23rd – No Shopping Saturday

Best Regards!
Mark Baldacchino
to remove ads between posts
Jan 01, 2019, 12:48 PM
The clown flyin' the plane.
Whoohoo! Looking forward to all the TPG Fun Flys. Just subscribed to the thread. Thanks Mark.
Jan 11, 2019, 10:34 AM
Thread OP
A reminder for next Saturday, 1/19, is our Fun Fly Kickoff at Torrey Pines; weather prevailing. As of today, there’s no rain in the forecast for that day.

Bring any non-powered sailplane, and don’t forget to check-in at the Glider Port shack by watching the safety video, signing the waivers, and getting your video taken for liability. It’s part of the fun, but a small price to pay for a world-class flying venue.

See you all out there!

Mark
Jan 14, 2019, 02:56 PM
Dale G......OZD
Thanks for posting, Mark.

This is also a great place to post Fun-Fly photos for the Newsletter Photo of the Month Contest...and maybe Photo of the Year. Last year's winner, Ian Cummings photo of Thomas Moller launching his ASH-26 is the 2019 Newsletter masthead photo and the illustration on your new TPG membershop cards.

Dale
Feb 16, 2019, 11:41 AM
Thread OP

Next Fun Fly = March 23, and FAA Stuff

Happy Wet February Guys!

Just a little reminder for our next Fun Fly that’s in five weeks from now; should be enough time to dry out a bit, and let the Landing Zone get even thicker with weeds and grass. Please note the addition to the schedule of the F3F race at Torrey pines in April (below), with a backup date - this is a Sunday event.

Another note of interest: You all probably received an email from AMA recently to register with the FAA. It’s call the Interim Final Rule and can be found here; https://www.faa.gov/news/updates/?newsId=93045

There are two ways to register, and it’s really an easy process – takes 5 minutes, costs $5, and is good for 3 years.

Just create an account here: https://faadronezone.faa.gov/#/

Choose Part 336. This choice registers the pilot with one number that’s applied to all of your planes. The other choice is Part 107, which registers every plane that you have at $5ea. Can get quite pricey.

Join us on 3/23, then afterwards we’ll meet at AleSmith for a beer or two.

• Apr 7th Sunday/ April 14th Backup day – Torrey Pines Classic F3F Race. Open to all, register on the Vault.
• May 25th – Foamies
• June 1st - Katie Martin Int’l Tribute – Not a Gulls Only Fun Fly event, but International Event
• Aug 24th – Scaleies

Best Regards!
Mark
Mar 16, 2019, 09:07 AM
Thread OP

Fun Fly - March 23rd

Hi Gulls,

Just a reminder that next Saturday the 23rd is our next scheduled Fun Fly. Afterwards, we’re headed to AleSmith Brewery for a Happy Hour.

If you haven’t checked in at the Gliderport by signing the yearly waivers, please do so, and please make sure that you check in for the day for the rest of you.

See you all out there – it’s a, ”Run-What-You-Brung” day as far as what type of plane to bring.

• Apr 7th Sunday/ April 14th Backup day – Torrey Pines Classic F3F Race. Open to all, register on the Vault.
• May 25th – Foamies
• Aug 24th – Scaleies
May 17, 2019, 09:53 AM
Thread OP

May 25th & June 1st - Back-to-Back Saturday Events

Hi Gulls,

Just a reminder that the following Saturday, the 25th, is our next scheduled Fun Fly, it’s all about Foamies. Bring an Ahi, Alula, Radian, KA-8, or whatever other foam plane that you have!

The next Saturday after that, June 1st, is the Katie Martin International Tribute. This is always a special treat as there will be well over a 100 planes out there. Let’s be safe and limit the number of planes in the air to no more than seven, and if you’re not flying, please pitch in and be a spotter. We want this to be a safe, fun place for everyone!

If you haven’t checked in at the Gliderport by signing the yearly waivers, please do so, and please make sure that you check in for the day for the rest of you.

See you all out there, and blue sky’s!

• May 25th – Foamies
• Aug 24th – Scaleies
May 17, 2019, 10:58 PM
Dale G......OZD
Thanks for posting the pdates, Mark.

Dale
May 25, 2019, 10:23 PM
Thank you TPG for welcoming us new comers,

Video footage of Mark and Ian's planes doing some loops and passes

Torrey Pines Gliderport Near San Diego California, First Time Slope Soaring (3 min 55 sec)
Jun 04, 2019, 04:54 PM
Dale G......OZD
The Katie Martin international Tribute Took place at the Gliderport Last Saturday, June 1.

Here’s Bob Martin’s wrap up of the event from the Katie Martin international Tribute thread on RC groups.
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...-int-l-tribute

Bob is home safely

Hello everyone. I am home safely. I got home last night after leaving Torrey Pines Sunday morning, driving to Lake Havasu City, unloading my van, loading wheel chair, walker and picking up my lady friend that has MS and driving her to Scottsdale, AZ. We got home last night at 9:30 PM. About 1200 total miles from Havasu to Torrey to Havasu to Scottsdale back to Havasu!....

I would like to thank Craig Hanson, President of the Torrey Pines Gulls for his hard and consistent work with Robin getting the Site ready for the Katie. I would like to thank Robin, CEO of the Gliderport for all his hard work and cooperation in the success of this years Katie. When I arrived on Friday, the area we were to set up in was waist high in weeds and not only did Robin move the cones to give us more room, he mowed the entire area himself and ordered the parasailer school to be moved to another location for Saturday. WOW! What great cooperation between the Torrey Pines Gulls and the Gliderport to ensure everything was great for the Katie Martin Int'l Tribute. My special thanks to Katie and the weather for providing us with incredible conditions. We flew everything from dreamflight Libelle's , Coyote's, SR-7's Hobie and Superhawks, beautiful 3 meter moldies , quick and agle twisties and everything in between.

Thanks to all the sponsors of the raffle, many are our attendee's and participants. I have not yet had time to count the money for the Charity, but I will let you know soon. Of course, THANK YOU to all of you that donated by buying raffle tickets......

I ordered a few extra shirts....they were great this year....and sold all of them as well as the mugs.

Thanks to all of you that have posted pictures on these threads......letting the world know how much fun we had and maybe entice them to join us next year.

If approved, the 10th Annual Katie Martin Int'l Tribute will be at TORREY PINES GLIDERPORT on June 6th, 2020. That is Katie and my wedding anniversary. Plan on being there!

Lastly, thanks to those that helped this old man get up when I need help and those that helped with the raffle, selling shirts and allowing me to be free to talk with everyone.....THANKS

I am exhausted and will probably need a nap today.....keep the pictures coming and tell everyone about people you met, talked with and anything else that made your Katie special to you.
Bob
Jul 20, 2019, 09:49 AM
Thread OP

Fun-Fly, July 27th - TWF & PNF, Twisty Wings and Pointy Nosed planes

Hi Gulls,

Just a reminder that the following Saturday, July 27th, is our next scheduled Fun Fly; it’s all about Twisty Wing and Pointy Nosed planes! Or, just bring whatever plane that you have!

If you haven’t been in to Torrey Pines Gliderport in a while, it’s time to come out. The paraglider folks are behaving so much better lately. In other words, their rules of one-in-the-window, and alerting us RC’ers that they’re flying through with a whistle or yell has improved immensely. Let’s be safe and limit the number of planes in the air to no more than seven, (7) and if you’re not flying, please pitch in and be a spotter. We want this to be a safe, fun place for everyone! Also, check your battery health, antenna orientation, (90 degrees from one another) all connections, and flying surface orientation to your transmitter input before launching.

• Aug 24th – Scaleies

Mark Baldacchino
Aug 17, 2019, 09:05 AM
Thread OP

Scalie Fun Fly = August 24th

Hi Gulls,

Just a reminder that next Saturday, August 24th, is our next scheduled Fun Fly; it’s all about Scalies! Bring out your Scale Gliders: large scale, medium scale, small scale, any scale, ASH’s ASW’s, DG’s, KA’s. Or, just bring whatever plane that you have!

If you haven’t been in to Torrey Pines Gliderport in a while, it’s time to come out. The paraglider folks are behaving so much better lately. In other words, their rules of one-in-the-window, and alerting us RC’ers that they’re flying through with a whistle or yell has improved immensely. Let’s be safe and limit the number of planes in the air to no more than seven, (7) and if you’re not flying, please pitch in and be a spotter. We want this to be a safe, fun place for everyone! Also, check your battery health, antenna orientation, (90 degrees from one another) all connections, and flying surface orientation to your transmitter input before launching.

• Aug 24th – Scaleies

Mark Baldacchino
Sep 14, 2019, 12:26 PM
Thread OP

Torrey Pines Gulls Fun Fly - Vintage/ Crunchies = September 21st

Hi Gulls,

Just a reminder that next Saturday, September 21st, is our next scheduled Fun Fly; it’s all about Vintage or Crunchie planes! Bring out your Oly’s, Aquila’s, Bird of Time, Gentle Lady, Spirit, Wanderer, Windfree’s, or just bring whatever plane that you have!

Let’s continue to be safe and limit the number of planes in the air to no more than seven, (7) and if you’re not flying, please pitch in and be a spotter. We want this to be a safe, fun place for everyone! Also, check your battery health, antenna orientation, (90 degrees from one another) all connections, and flying surface orientation to your transmitter input before launching.

Also, please ensure that you check-in at the Glider Port

See you all out there, and blue skies!

Mark Baldacchino
Nov 17, 2019, 09:25 AM
Thread OP

Torrey Pines Gulls Fun Fly – No Shopping Saturday = November 23rd

Hi Gulls,

Just a reminder that next Saturday, November 23rd, is our next scheduled Fun Fly, and the last one for the year; bring whatever plane(s) that you have. This is just a day to take a deep breath before we dive into the Holidays. This was supposed to be on the Saturday AFTER Thanksgiving, but something got tripped-up in the slope coordinator transition last year. I have next years, (2020) schedule ready to go, and will post at a later date, but there’s some fun stuff going on. Next year, the Torrey Pines Gulls Club will be turning 50!!

Let’s continue to be safe and limit the number of planes in the air to no more than seven, (7) and if you’re not flying, please pitch in and be a spotter. We want this to be a safe, fun place for everyone! Also, check your battery health, antenna orientation, (90 degrees from one another) all connections, and flying surface orientation to your transmitter input before launching.

Also, please ensure that you check-in at the Glider Port

See you all out there, and blue skies!

Mark Baldacchino
Nov 21, 2019, 09:29 PM
Thread OP

Torrey Pines Gulls Fun Fly – No Shopping Saturday = November 30th

**POSTPONED for this weekend** Moving to next weekend due to poor wind forecast for this weekend.

Mark

Quick Reply