This thread is privately moderated by Panhead5496, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Mar 18, 2019, 10:44 PM
Thread OP
Those are 25c...the Turnigy would have a bit more punch, but less capacity, so they'd probably both do well.

If you can solder than that opens up a LOT more option, as you don't have to buy lipos with matching connectors. I learned pretty quickly that soldering was a necessity in this hobby!
to remove ads between posts
Mar 19, 2019, 12:03 AM
RC Rhymes With Beer
I will take more run time then punch, personally. I am all about being out there. That price on the battery is pretty drawing in too. I can pick up 4-5 of these and have enough run time to keep busy while I charge my other batteries for the Genny!

Yes, this is true! I have been soldering for years, but these connectors are a bit more tricky. But now I have done, EC3, Deans, and XT60. Once you get it going it's not all bad. I have to say, I love bench time quite a bit. Working on the stuff is as fun if not more at time
Mar 19, 2019, 12:44 AM
Thread OP
Oh yeah, the lipos for the SR48 are good and cheap

ec3 for the smaller stuff and ec5 for the larger stuff is what I run. They are the easiest for me to solder by far. Deans are a pain with larger gauge wire lol!

Same here...working on the stuff is definitely fun.
Mar 19, 2019, 01:02 AM
RC Rhymes With Beer
Love it! Feels good not needing to drop $50+ on one battery that will only last you 20 minutes on a good day...

EC3 is the only thing I'm running and will be running XT-60 for my little boats. I like XT-60 because it's so "field" friendly. Lots of people have it on really everything, so if I need a charge I can get it easy enough. Also, XT-60 is compatible one way with EC3. Meaning, you can put an EC3 battery on an XT-60 charger lead. Not vice versa. But now I feel pretty universal.

Deans, as good as they were....have had their time. They are the Tamiya plug they came out to replace. Pain to solder and connections just don't feel as snug as anything with bullets.
Mar 19, 2019, 01:13 AM
Thread OP
Wow! I did not know that about the xt60 to ec3 thing! Pretty cool.

And yeah, unfortunately you will find that batteries get expensive FAST, especially good ones.
Mar 19, 2019, 01:18 AM
RC Rhymes With Beer
I am aching to get back to gas. I ran nitro for a few years, but like anything nitro, it spent more time on the bench than out there being used. But gas gas, is really quite good and seems to put a lot more of the money up front into the motor and such, but with years of ease and use after that.

After my SR-48 purchase, (probably next winter realistically.) I will be moving to a gas boat build. I have some 65" boats already picked out. Kits of course, but that at least makes it reasonable to do it over time, especially financially.

The battery trick is helpful to incase you ever get into a situation on a beautiful day and need to keep going!
Mar 19, 2019, 01:24 PM
Thread OP
Oh man, I’d love a gas boat. They are so expensive (as you know!) but just putting in gas and going seems so nice. I had a nitro truck and it was so awesome when it ran...which was only when it wanted to LOL! But gas seems much easier.

What ones are you looking at??
Mar 19, 2019, 03:39 PM
RC Rhymes With Beer
Haha, exactly how I feel with Nitro. Its too finicky and only works when it wants to. But you get the smell and sound of something so cool, that you want to do it, even though it sucks.

Gas boats are too cool, and when set up right, you can get lots of run time. A little temperature drop doesn't necessarily mean back the bench for tuning.

I really like the Expresscraft-70 but I know Tom sold the company to another guy recently. Not sure if they are still in production, but the website just changed over, so maybe they will start production over again.

http://expresscraft.com/phantom.html

Also the CRC SV43, which is a bit smaller at 59".

https://shop.centralrcmarine.com/59-CRC-SV43-6.htm

For me, they don't need to go super fast. I want quality time actually using them, and the bigger they are, the more they can plow through waves. Man, it makes me too excited just thinking about it. lol

Quick Reply