Thread Tools
Aug 07, 2019, 12:18 PM
Registered User
The update was successful, firmware is now at version 1.23.

Charging the 4S LiPo still gives an Battery error though.
At first, it seemed like it's working fine, the charging current jumped to 1.7A, then 2.0A, but then it just gave Battery error.
Any following attempts now give the error immediately.

It also says the battery is at 10% SOC. How is that possible? The cells are all at 3.6-3.7V.
Am I missing something, am I dumb?

Here's a photo and a short video, maybe that helps.
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Aug 07, 2019, 05:33 PM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphirosx
The update was successful, firmware is now at version 1.23.

Charging the 4S LiPo still gives an Battery error though.
At first, it seemed like it's working fine, the charging current jumped to 1.7A, then 2.0A, but then it just gave Battery error.
Any following attempts now give the error immediately.

It also says the battery is at 10% SOC. How is that possible? The cells are all at 3.6-3.7V.
Am I missing something, am I dumb?

Here's a photo and a short video, maybe that helps.
It looks like the balance plug is plugged into the wrong side of the connector.
Try plugging it in starting from the left side.
Aug 09, 2019, 07:16 AM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by heyphred
It looks like the balance plug is plugged into the wrong side of the connector.
Try plugging it in starting from the left side.
Works now, thanks. The reason why I connected it this way is because the JST plug had a little line on the side which mechanically prevented it from being plugged in the proper way (so that the black wire is on the negative - end). Made me think maybe it's supposed to be connected otherwise, I remember looking it up online and saw some people plugging their JST balancers like this as well, on other chargers. The fact the 4 cells appeared in the charger anyway, just in different slots than 1-4 also convinced me further haha.

Well, I filed the connector's left side a bit so it can be plugged in, and yep, now charging works without any issue.

Thank you!!
Aug 24, 2019, 10:53 AM
Registered User
I love this charger. Great versatility and value for money.
I have some 550mah 2s and 1s packs and wonder how to charge the last 50mah or avoid overcharging with +50mah, because it only has 1 decimal on the readout.

Any ideas?
Aug 25, 2019, 07:23 AM
'Extreme Fabricator'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Taylor
I love this charger. Great versatility and value for money.
I have some 550mah 2s and 1s packs and wonder how to charge the last 50mah or avoid overcharging with +50mah, because it only has 1 decimal on the readout.

Any ideas?
The charger will still complete the charge cycle based on the voltage it measures across each cell in deadtime sampling. The current setting of the charger is only relative to the rate at which it charges a battery not the capacity, so setting a 500mA rate for a 550mAh battery will simply charge it at 0.9C, or setting it to 600mA will charge it at about 1.1C, either way it will not be overcharged.
Aug 25, 2019, 10:58 AM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by alicecooper
The charger will still complete the charge cycle based on the voltage it measures across each cell in deadtime sampling. The current setting of the charger is only relative to the rate at which it charges a battery not the capacity, so setting a 500mA rate for a 550mAh battery will simply charge it at 0.9C, or setting it to 600mA will charge it at about 1.1C, either way it will not be overcharged.
Of course...doh. Thanks.
Alice Cooper speaks the truth, for sure😊
Aug 25, 2019, 11:51 AM
Registered User
New firmware up.

===M8 V1.30===2019.8.24===
1, reconstruct the manual calibration method.
2, modify the bug when the organic rate occurs at the beginning of charging.
3, increase the terminal voltage setting function of PB
4, adjust the position of the electric display and power menu, more suitable to use the frequency
5. Adjust the balance port voltage display sequence to correspond to the external interface.
6, when the buzzer is set to turn off, the beeper sounds when a warning bee occurs.
7, PPM signal measurement compatibility modification.

Important: After this version is updated, returning to the old version will not work.
Aug 25, 2019, 11:58 PM
Registered User
New bug find. Storage voltage for lihv batteries is 4.00V and can not be set lover than 3.90V. We have to stoeage lihv batteries at 3.80V same as clasic lipo.
Aug 26, 2019, 12:14 AM
ancora imparo
jj604's Avatar
Storage voltage is the same for both LiPo and LiPoHV cells.

The whole purpose of storage is to put batteries in a State of Charge where they are minimally active but with no risk of going below the recommended minimum cell voltage if left for an extended period. The LiPo and LiPoHV cells have the same minimum voltage specifications.

3.8V or 3.85V was an arbitrary voltage chosen to be half way between normal full discharge of 3.4V - 3.5V/cell and 4.2V but there is nothing scientific about it.

More recent recommendations from Hyperion recommend 3.8V for all packs for normal short term storage (on the assumption any degradation will be minimal since the period is relatively short) and 3.7V for long term storage to minimise any activity - but of course they would require occasional monitoring to check they stay above 3.5V. Fortunately a healthy LiPo's self-discharge rate is very low.

John
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevcan
New bug find. Storage voltage for lihv batteries is 4.00V and can not be set lover than 3.90V. We have to stoeage lihv batteries at 3.80V same as clasic lipo.
Aug 26, 2019, 03:06 AM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by jj604
Storage voltage is the same for both LiPo and LiPoHV cells.

The whole purpose of storage is to put batteries in a State of Charge where they are minimally active but with no risk of going below the recommended minimum cell voltage if left for an extended period. The LiPo and LiPoHV cells have the same minimum voltage specifications.

3.8V or 3.85V was an arbitrary voltage chosen to be half way between normal full discharge of 3.4V - 3.5V/cell and 4.2V but there is nothing scientific about it.

More recent recommendations from Hyperion recommend 3.8V for all packs for normal short term storage (on the assumption any degradation will be minimal since the period is relatively short) and 3.7V for long term storage to minimise any activity - but of course they would require occasional monitoring to check they stay above 3.5V. Fortunately a healthy LiPo's self-discharge rate is very low.

John
I I know that. I say there is bug in this charger. If i select LiHv cell and want to put it to storage this charger put it to 4V/cell. Can be set from 3.9V to 4.1V but not on 3.8V. If I want to put my Hv lipos to storage I hawe to change program to normal lipo.
Aug 26, 2019, 03:12 AM
ancora imparo
jj604's Avatar
OK thanks. I misunderstood what you were saying.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevcan
I I know that. I say there is bug in this charger. If i select LiHv cell and want to put it to storage this charger put it to 4V/cell. Can be set from 3.9V to 4.1V but not on 3.8V. If I want to put my Hv lipos to storage I hawe to change program to normal lipo.
Aug 26, 2019, 07:50 AM
Registered User
hi all, I'm running firmware 1.8...something it is safe to do a firmware upgrade to the last version. Is there any explanation of what a new firmware will benefit or should I keep the current firmware on the charger. Any recommendation ?

Thanks
Aug 27, 2019, 07:55 PM
Registered User
subarujunky's Avatar
Ok so I guess im a little late to the party...
But I've had this charger for like 4 months now.
I've always noticed that it charges cell three to 4.23v
Other cells range from 4.18 - 4.21
Kinda all over the place...

What's sad is that when I adjust the voltages per cell in the charger... it doesn't save the adjustments for the next charge cycle.. I only get one adjusted charge out of it..

So there was all this hype about this being a good charger... but in reality.. it sucks..

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Aug 27, 2019, 10:04 PM
Registered User
Yes, the readings aren't accurate so of course the end result can't be.

Never trust readouts on gear, confirm with known good ammeter + DMM, ideally calibrated regularly.
Aug 28, 2019, 08:03 AM
Registered User
subarujunky's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by John61CT
Yes, the readings aren't accurate so of course the end result can't be.

Never trust readouts on gear, confirm with known good ammeter + DMM, ideally calibrated regularly.
You say calibrated regularly..
The only way I see to get an accurate charge every time is to calibrate for every pack ...

I should have just bought an ISDT

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk


Quick Reply
Message:

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New Product HOBBYMATE pocket smart charger built in AC/DC HOBBYMATE Batteries and Chargers 99 Aug 02, 2019 05:01 PM
Mini-Review ISDT Q6 Series Pocket Smart DC Chargers czajunia Batteries and Chargers 12 Dec 09, 2018 03:18 PM
New Product Ultra Power UP610 200W 10A DC Pocket Smart Lipo Battery Balance Charger Discharger smg24 Batteries and Chargers 0 Dec 18, 2017 06:22 AM
Question Turnigy Reaktor 300W 20A AC/DC charger olefolks Batteries and Chargers 16 Dec 18, 2016 02:22 PM