Jan 19, 2019, 11:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by heyphred
I know how frustrating it can be when you buy something then the support site is really flakey.
Here is a direct link to the new firmware download -> https://www.toolkitrc.com/filedownload/62648

For your website issue maybe it's a browser or add-on causing it?

Firefox 64.0.2 works ok with it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCMindBug
Your website or content provider is blacklisted. My firewall is blocking your site. I did update the charger I will let you know if that changes my experience.
It's not my site, I'm just trying to help a fellow hobbyist
to remove ads between posts
Jan 19, 2019, 03:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jj604
Can anyone confirm that the PC USB connection is working as it is supposed to?
The update worked for me. Plugged in using the supplied USB Cable.

It didn't change anything for me. I still get errors charging 70% of my packs.
Jan 19, 2019, 03:55 PM
ancora imparo
Yes, this has "early stage of development" all over it.

Rotary encoder needs better debounce routine, IR values are inconsistent and high.
It's the risk we take as it does have a great feature list and a very nice UI and form factor.

I can live with early problems as they seem to be actively improving it, but not being able to update is a deal breaker.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aMax
Same here...UDisk does not work at all.
I am wondering if this is only a bad software implementation or a faulty batch of this device. It seem to need much curred to boot on a USB port.
On my Notebook I only get a blank screen and attached to my big Tower, the screen is flashing at least and Windows starts reporting " Unknown device"

I am one of the early buyers just before christmas at Banggood. Two days later the origin page disappeared and popped up again with a different product ID on a PreSale...........
I mailed them about that but got no answer.
No chance to write a review!

Now I am struggling with BG Cservice . I was aware that this device is on an early state of development and accepted, but without a chance of firmwareupdate this is quite useless.

Edit: Checked the delivered USB cable and it has continuity. I my case it is not the cable.
Jan 19, 2019, 06:50 PM
Donīt grow up, itīs a trap
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCMindBug
The update worked for me. Plugged in using the supplied USB Cable.

It didn't change anything for me. I still get errors charging 70% of my packs.
Sorry for your charging issues,.....
but would you mind supplying us with some more details on the firmware update process?
Which OS? What does the charger screen show when the device is connected?

Thanks in advance.
Jan 21, 2019, 12:38 AM
ancora imparo

Not ready for prime time?

Despite the attractive feature set and form factor, I am of the opinion that buying this charger was a "courageous decision". (For fans of the "Yes Minister" series).

1) They have released at least 3 updates since it was first available only a few weeks ago. This suggests the capability to update the firmware will be essential.
2) I have been quite unable to get any PC to recognise the charger as a device.
3) I have tried WinXP, Win7, Win10 and OS 10.14 with no success.
4) I have tried using their instructions and their cable with no success.
5) I have tried using their instructions and other cables with no success.
6) I have tried reversing their instructions (connect first then restart the PC) and other cables with no success.
7) I have tried using their instructions but powering the charger separately and other cables with no success.

I think that is a fair effort and I can conclude that the update process doesn't work. It's nice that RCMindBug got it to work - but it didn't fix his other problem.

The best I have been able to get as a result is,
"Unknown USB device. (Device Descriptor Request Failed)"
in the Computer Management Console on a Windows10 machine.

I will send this info to ToolkitRC but don't fancy my chances. Next step will be Banggood, then PayPal.

John
Jan 21, 2019, 03:22 AM
Quote:
but would you mind supplying us with some more details on the firmware update process?
Which OS? What does the charger screen show when the device is connected?
I just followed their directions on Windows 7. No troubles on that end, plugged the M8 using the supplied USB cable, and my computer saw the device as a normal external drive. Just like a USB flash drive. I delete app.upg and copied the app.upg from 1.18 zip.

Again no troubles updating at all, I just wish the charging was as good as the update process (You know the reason why you purchase a battery charger in the first place). If your having troubles, I would check the device manager to see if your computer sees the M8 at all. If it doesn't see it, then I'm guessing something is wrong with your charger.

I tried charging 3 x 3s 550mah packs @ 1C again today. Failed @ 53% (3.85v per cell) only 762 mAh into the packs, with the message of Battery cell error. Move the Paraboard over to my Q6 with the same charge settings, it finished without any issues put another ~900 mAh into the packs.

I'm with John, I'm one more charge failure away from returning and getting another Q6. I love the price, I liked the additional features, but if it doesn't complete its primary job well. Then it's worthless.

My .02, i will update later this week. Thanks,
Nick
Jan 21, 2019, 04:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jj604
Despite the attractive feature set and form factor, I am of the opinion that buying this charger was a "courageous decision". (For fans of the "Yes Minister" series).

1) They have released at least 3 updates since it was first available only a few weeks ago. This suggests the capability to update the firmware will be essential.
2) I have been quite unable to get any PC to recognise the charger as a device.
3) I have tried WinXP, Win7, Win10 and OS 10.14 with no success.
4) I have tried using their instructions and their cable with no success.
5) I have tried using their instructions and other cables with no success.
6) I have tried reversing their instructions (connect first then restart the PC) and other cables with no success.
7) I have tried using their instructions but powering the charger separately and other cables with no success.

I think that is a fair effort and I can conclude that the update process doesn't work. It's nice that RCMindBug got it to work - but it didn't fix his other problem.

The best I have been able to get as a result is,
"Unknown USB device. (Device Descriptor Request Failed)"
in the Computer Management Console on a Windows10 machine.

I will send this info to ToolkitRC but don't fancy my chances. Next step will be Banggood, then PayPal.

John
For me it looks more like a hardware issue, maybe bad soldering or even worse.

After massive testing I gave up yesterday., made some pictures, screenshots and two videos and send them to Banggood.

I was already in contact with them since the day of arrival, because the USB connetivity
was the first thing I checked.

Can you please post the unique ID of the device? Maybe we got one the same batch or a presale product.

MY ID: FF5766E
Jan 21, 2019, 05:06 AM
ancora imparo
I agree it smells like a manufacturing/hardware issue to me.

And indeed the numbers are very close.

Mine is FF57663

11 units apart on the production line if the serials are consecutive and in hex.

John
Quote:
For me it looks more like a hardware issue, maybe bad soldering or even worse.

After massive testing I gave up yesterday., made some pictures, screenshots and two videos and send them to Banggood.

I was already in contact with them since the day of arrival, because the USB connetivity
was the first thing I checked.

Can you please post the unique ID of the device? Maybe we got one the same batch or a presale product.

MY ID: FF5766E
Jan 21, 2019, 06:58 AM

Mailed ToolkitRC some hours ago about the connectivity issue and send them my ID, asking if this is a genuine product.........and now waiting
for their answer.
Jan 21, 2019, 05:10 PM
ancora imparo
I have mailed them as well. This will be an interesting test of ToolkitRC to see if they are going to be responsive to customers or not.
Junsi for example have gained a good reputation by responding promptly to complaints and suggestions on RCGroups.
For a product like a charger, faith in the vendor's ability to fix problems in design quickly is important.

Quote:

Mailed ToolkitRC some hours ago about the connectivity issue and send them my ID, asking if this is a genuine product.........and now waiting
for their answer.
Jan 22, 2019, 04:39 AM
It seems the usb just work with 3.0, 2.0 USB cannot recognize the device
Jan 22, 2019, 05:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by fpvbuddy
It seems the usb just work with 3.0, 2.0 USB cannot recognize the device
How did you come at this?

Edit: Just received an email from ToolkitRC.....

"Banggood is our legal distributor.
Equipment is genuine
If your device is connected to the display and cannot be recognized, please use the USB3.0 interface."

Will check this and report.
Last edited by aMax; Jan 22, 2019 at 05:43 AM.
Jan 22, 2019, 06:16 AM

What the hell....

......why did they not mention this in the manual !
An USB3.x only device .....

Now the charger is recognized. ( GiGabyte board GA870 with an older Renesas chip set for USB3.0) .
I did not use 3.0 ports because they are on the backside of my BigTower, all others are broken out to a front pannel.

Copied new 1.18 app on it and it worked.
Jan 22, 2019, 07:17 AM
ancora imparo

Updating the M8 - some gotchas

Well there is some good news and some bad news.

The good news.
1) ToolkitRC responded fairly promptly to my email about the inability to upgrade.

"I am sorry to bring you trouble. Our production is tested with Win10, please try again with the USB3.0 interface of the computer. If it still doesn't work, it may be that the cable or M8 is damaged. Can only be replaced by the dealer."

Full marks for actually getting back to me with useful info.

2) I was able to update to firmware v 1.18. None of my old Windows machines have USB3.0 but my iMac does and will run Win10 under Bootcamp. Success!

The bad news

This is typical of a small startup tech company. Their update process only runs on ONE version of ONE OS on ONE hardware.

This is ridiculous. They have no idea how many complaints they are going to get.

Let's hope ToolkitRC can get a bit more professional about this.
Jan 22, 2019, 08:12 AM
Well, the requirement is a 3.x USB port.

I can confirm that on my old Gigabyte board ( AMD chipset & Renesas USB3.0)

the device works with Windows7/32 Enterprise, Windows7/64 Pro and............Windows XP!

Have not tested Linux at the moment on this board.

Quick Reply