This thread is privately moderated by bob57hdt, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
May 25, 2019, 10:58 AM
Life is better now
Thread OP

Katie Tribute 2019

Next Saturday we will be busy flying, buying raffle tickets, meeting new people, talking with old friends and enjoying the 2019 edition of the Katie Martin Int'l Tribute......same goes for those of you around the world at your KMIT.

One thing that concerned me last year was an event that was out of control....in my opinion. Don't get me wrong, the Katie was a huge success. My main concern is and has always been safety. We share the slope with man carrying craft. There are rules that restrict their flights through the "WINDOW" that we RCers use and of course we have an obligation to give them plenty of room to transition through the window. This is a good plan if everyone follows the rules. Last year, we as RCers followed the rules very well, but we did not have a pattern of flight, not enough spotters and too many in the air at one time....I think 20 a couple of times. This year we will have more spotters available and we will restrict the number of aircraft airborne at one time. We also will have a different area to set up our lawn chairs and park our aircraft so over flights for landings will be diminished.

As for the man carrying craft....last year many ignored the rules and there were as many as five in the Window on several occasions, they did not whistle when entering the Window and generally were causing a very dangerous situation. The TPG's have had a number of meetings with Robin, the manager of the Glider Port and he has promised more cooperation this year. Here is a quote from the TPG's about his efforts to control the man carrying pilots.
"Ray and I attended the Soaring Council meeting last Monday 5/20, and Robin is well aware of the event. He’s also starting to “take charge” of the paraglider folks by enforcing the safety rules, especially with the window in our area. There’s Steve, Greg, and himself will warn their pilots of a violation, and if they do it again, the PG will get sent home!! Finally – we’re getting some traction!"

I have requested and will assist in marking off the area we RCers are assigned to set up and park our aircraft and stuff. Below is a map. I have some more news I want to pass on but I am leaving this post by itself because of the importance of safety......see you all soon.
Bob
to remove ads between posts
May 25, 2019, 12:01 PM
Old newb
This below official TPG recent post states that no more than 7 remotely controlled craft should be in the air at a time and is in refernence to today’s Foam Frenzy.

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...9&postcount=26

It states also that if your are not flying you should be spotting.

I suspect there is a much heightened safety awareness after the recent fatal mid air of 2 para gliders. One pilot a fellow RC glider guider who had lots of experience.

This week at Dave’s Beach I spoke to a para glider pilot who was playing RC there and he noted how afraid he is of some of the RC gliders buzzing around at Torrey.

In other words we all need to be actively aware and participate in making sure all flight operations are safe.
May 25, 2019, 01:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob57hdt
Next Saturday we will be busy flying, buying raffle tickets, meeting new people, talking with old friends and enjoying the 2019 edition of the Katie Martin Int'l Tribute......same goes for those of you around the world at your KMIT.

One thing that concerned me last year was an event that was out of control....in my opinion. Don't get me wrong, the Katie was a huge success. My main concern is and has always been safety. We share the slope with man carrying craft. There are rules that restrict their flights through the "WINDOW" that we RCers use and of course we have an obligation to give them plenty of room to transition through the window. This is a good plan if everyone follows the rules. Last year, we as RCers followed the rules very well, but we did not have a pattern of flight, not enough spotters and too many in the air at one time....I think 20 a couple of times. This year we will have more spotters available and we will restrict the number of aircraft airborne at one time. We also will have a different area to set up our lawn chairs and park our aircraft so over flights for landings will be diminished.

As for the man carrying craft....last year many ignored the rules and there were as many as five in the Window on several occasions, they did not whistle when entering the Window and generally were causing a very dangerous situation. The TPG's have had a number of meetings with Robin, the manager of the Glider Port and he has promised more cooperation this year. Here is a quote from the TPG's about his efforts to control the man carrying pilots.
"Ray and I attended the Soaring Council meeting last Monday 5/20, and Robin is well aware of the event. He’s also starting to “take charge” of the paraglider folks by enforcing the safety rules, especially with the window in our area. There’s Steve, Greg, and himself will warn their pilots of a violation, and if they do it again, the PG will get sent home!! Finally – we’re getting some traction!"

I have requested and will assist in marking off the area we RCers are assigned to set up and park our aircraft and stuff. Below is a map. I have some more news I want to pass on but I am leaving this post by itself because of the importance of safety......see you all soon.
Bob
This is why I pretty much stopped flying at Torrey 15 years or so ago. Miss that place. But when I fly w/ my head on a swivl, trying to avoid PG'ers, but they break the rules, it still makes for unsafe situations, and I can't stand flying knowing that my toy could end someone's life. It takes the fun out of flying.
Two situations happened in one week.
#1) I was standing at the mound flying at the north face. A PG'er kept following me. I'd go out to sea, like pretty far out there, and he'd go out to sea where I was. I'd go back to the slope, so did he. This happened 5x! In my last transition to escape him coming where I was again.......I lost blue sky and flew into his lines. Luckily nothing happen to him or his kite. My glider was stuck in there, he flew by the mound low, and yelled who's piece of s*** is this? He landed, balanced his sail, gave a good pull, and folded my wings. I approached, apologize, gathered my parts, and didn't say and damn thing like why were you following me around so much? because it doesn't matter, HIS life is at stake.
#2) I was standing at the edge in front of the mound (south end of the bowl) flying at the north face getting altitude, had my head on a swivl, kept looking all around, looked a couple of times to my left and behind me to make sure no one was about to launch, just before I put my glider into reflex going north to south to dive down and do a wingover right in front of me. I was being as careful as I could. Looked over there to my left behind me twice right before diving. I saw one PG, his kite on the ground, and he was facing east. I yelled "north to south through the bowl", reflex, dived down hauling butt through the bowl, started pulling up, and JUST MISSED that PG'er who must have popped up his kite right after I looked there 20 seconds before and took off, not straight out, but at an angle going north. I must have come within 5 feet of him! going IDK how fast. No "launching" no whistle, nothing! I yelled "god damn it"! landed immediately, said F this place, and never went back except for like 5 years ago flying my Alpina in an F3F race. Things seemed the same; multiple PG'er flying through the window at the sametime vs only one in the window at a time, turning in the window, no whistles, launches not straight out first then heading N or S, etc.

Sorry, went on a little bit of a rant there.
But just want to make the point that
SPOTTERS ARE ESSENTIAL!!!
b/c as careful as we try to be, many of the PG'ers don't follow the rules.

YEARS ago, when we lost the privledge to fly there b/c of near misses, I said then, that the RC'ers should be allowed to have their base camp (RC setup area) and launch from and land at the north face instead of where it is now, where it has always been, separating the RCer's from the man flying aircraft. They stay on there side of the canyon (the area between the bowl and the north face), and we'd stay on our side. But they didn't like that idea. They didn't want to lose the north face. So, it is what it is. Limiting the number of RCer's in the air at any one time will help. But with RC'ers and PGer's in such close proximity, and Torrey getting so crowded sometimes, and PG'ers NOT FOLLOWING THE RULES, well, I just hope nothing bad ever happens.

Bob
Last edited by fly2bob; May 26, 2019 at 12:18 PM.
May 25, 2019, 01:38 PM
Still wish we could rent the flight ops for a day. Could not be more than 2k in revenue from human flights.
May 25, 2019, 02:10 PM
Old newb
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMPX
Still wish we could rent the flight ops for a day. Could not be more than 2k in revenue from human flights.
At $175 a pop it only takes a dozen......

Also it is not always the paragliders either. There are idiot RC people too.

I stated there 40+ years ago, went to school across the street and do remember how it was. Times change. Adapt or go home. There are times during the week that it is far more pleasant (safe) to play there. The KMT is scheduled for a high traffic time though. Adapt. Right now, the way I feel, I may just go to watch this year. I ditched the Foam Frenzy today even though I am prepped. The forecast for the 1st looks marginal anyway.
May 25, 2019, 02:29 PM
My point exactly there can't be more than a dozen of them. Next year perhaps. I would sponsor a no human day up to $2,500.00 to fly TP stress free. Or semi stress free lol
May 25, 2019, 03:24 PM
Quote:
That question was asked and the answer from the flight director is no. The Gliderport has to stay open for all users.
May 25, 2019, 03:56 PM
Old newb
Quote:
My point exactly there can't be more than a dozen of them. Next year perhaps. I would sponsor a no human day up to $2,500.00 to fly TP stress free. Or semi stress free lol
The string of paid dual rides is basically endless.......

Only times there are sky’s devoid of jellies are those with really high winds.
May 25, 2019, 10:42 PM
Life is better now
Thread OP

High winds

OK.....a lot of negative comments, but it is what it is.....So pray for high winds.....we have aircraft that can handle that, I designed a couple.

What ever the conditions, let us pray for a fun and safe tribute to Katie. The raffle has really shaped up to be very special and there are several legends of the hobby that will be in attendance and I have a very special item that I hope a few people go home with that will be very memorable...more later.

The event is now less than a week away and I know we can make it a super event. When this event is over we will know if we can continue at Torrey Pines, so let us all endeavor to make it as special as we can. Looking forward to seeing all of you next Saturday, paying tribute to Katie and celebrating her birthday too!

Bob
May 26, 2019, 03:23 AM
Amen.
Sorry.
I'm sure it'll be fine, and a memorable event.
May 26, 2019, 10:51 AM
DWA
DWA
1Corinthians 13:1-8
Here are some positive happy memories from last year.

22 Hawks in this picture.

Dave
May 26, 2019, 12:02 PM
Life is better now
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by DWA
Here are some positive happy memories from last year.

22 Hawks in this picture.

Dave
Thanks Dave......there may be even more Hobie and Superhawks this year. This year falls on Katie's Birthday, so I am making a Birthday card I would like everyone to sign.....
Bob
May 26, 2019, 12:09 PM
DWA
DWA
1Corinthians 13:1-8
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob57hdt
Thanks Dave......there may be even more Hobie and Superhawks this year. This year falls on Katie's Birthday, so I am making a Birthday card I would like everyone to sign.....
Bob
Yep, I am really looking forward to this year‘s event Bob. I might be limping from a recent knee injury, but I will be there.

Dave
May 26, 2019, 12:14 PM
It's not going to build itself
Nice pic of all the Hawks together. What a great event this is!!
I love to fly at Torrey whenever I can, I hope I can make it this year.
Tom
May 27, 2019, 04:30 PM
Life is better now
Thread OP

Katie Raffle Prizes

I have mentioned the generosity of the attendees of the Katie Martin Int'l Tribute. They are generous with the money they spend on T-shirt, raffle tickets and donations to the Charity Raffle. A couple of years ago John Cole donated a finished Hobie Hawk to the raffle. Last year Jay and Walt donated a complete Hobie Hawk to the Raffle. This year, along with some other great items, MrMPX is donating another complete Hobie Hawk that just needs a little love and it too will be back in the skies majestically flying around. There is an extra Hobie Hawk fuselage also. I am so humbled by the incredible loyalty and generosity of those that seek to pay Tribute to Katie and add to the enjoyment of our great sport. Well done gentlemen.....Katie would be thrilled.
Bob

Quick Reply