This thread is privately moderated by bob57hdt, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Dec 29, 2018, 07:15 PM
Life is better now
Thread OP
Discussion

9th annual katie martin int'l tribute

9TH ANNUAL KATIE MARTIN INT'L TRIBUTE

My fellow slope fliers,

Itís that time of year again to announce the 9th Annual KATIE MARTIN INTERNATIONAL TRIBUTE Fly-in. Although I had some safety concerns last year, I have been in communication with the Torrey Pines Gulls and I believe we have found an acceptible plan.

The event in the USA will again be hosted by the Torrey Pines Gulls at the beautiful Torrey Pines Glider Port slope near San Diego on Saturday, June 1st, 2019, Katie's Birthday.

Last year our flying friends in Germany and two separate tributes in Spain joined in to honor Katie. We heard from those in Great Britain and Venezuela who wanted but were unable to stage their tribute but were with us in spirit.

The last 5our years were a truly international events and my sincere thanks to everyone, here and overseas that came together to honor Katie.

Many will show up on Thursday and Friday, check out their aircraft and get a little flying in before the Tribute to Katie on Saturday. You are invited to join in the fun if you can make it. I will again try to be there on Thursday to get my planes ready and enjoy some good old slope soaring...Katie's and my true love.

Bring as many planes as you can....brand, style, size does not matter....remember the conditions can vary from lead sled super soarers, giant scale ships to super light DLG, so bring a variety.

We had over 100 aircraft representing more than 55 designs and manufacturers and two great shots of those that brought Hobie, Superhawk and Bob Martin aircraft...it was a wonderful event again.

JUNE 1st IS THE OFFICIAL DAY OF TRIBUTE TO KATIE. FLYING BEGINS AS SOON AS CONDITIONS PERMIT AND AT 12 NOON PDT WE BEGIN WITH THE READING OF THE KATIE DEDICATION, WE WILL HAVE THE OFFICIAL MOMENT OF SILENCE, FOLLOWED BY THE FLYING OF KATIE'S ORIGINAL HOBIE HAWK WITH HER ASHES IN THE NOSE FOLLOWED BY THE SPECIAL EDITION KATIE MARTIN SUPERHAWK THAT WILL FLY FORMATION WITH KATIE. WE THEN INVITE EVERYONE TO JOIN IN FLYING WITH KATIE. THE REST OF THE DAY WILL BE OPEN FLYING. . A GREAT TIME SOCIALIZING AND FLYING WITH OLD AND NEW FRIENDS . ASK ANYONE THAT HAS BEEN THERE....IT IS A MUST ATTEND EVENT. MANY HAVE TRAVELED HUNDREDS OF MILES TO PARTICIPATE.

A CHARITY RAFFLE BENEFITING THE†AMERICAN HEART ASSOCIATION†WILL BE HELD IN THE AFTERNOON with great products again. We would like to again thank our 2018 benefactors for their contributions to this worthy charity raffle: Hitec/RCD, Dream Flight, Fly by Night Models, John Cole, Robin's Hobby, Curt White and Bob Smith Industries.
Here is a map on how to get to the Glider Port if you do not know. This link came from the Torrey Pines Gulls web site:
[/url]http://www.torreypinesgulls.org/torrey-pines-glider-port/

I encourage you all to make plans to attend and let us know what you will be bringing. Remember, this event is to honor Katie and enjoy a day of flying, food, fun, raffle, meeting old friends and making new ones. Any brand, vintage or size of sailplane is welcome. (no motors allowed)

If you wish to know more about the beginning and history of the Katie Martin Tribute click "https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2321337"HERE.

Watch for more news and comments on this thread soon.

Bob Martin
to remove ads between posts
Dec 29, 2018, 07:41 PM
Old Master, New Grasshopper
I'm here in the new thread and looking forward to attending !
Latest blog entry: Pics
Dec 29, 2018, 08:44 PM
Subscribed
Dec 31, 2018, 12:43 PM
Glad to hear you were able to make Torrey Pines work Bob. I look forward to attending.
Dec 31, 2018, 05:02 PM
Life is better now
Thread OP

Can I fly at Torrey Pines?

The Katie Martin Tribute has always been held at Torrey Pines Glider Port, but unlike a lot of other flying sites, this one has rules.

Not only is the Torrey Pines Glider Port a great place to fly, it is an FAA certified Glider Port and a San Diego City Park and therefore both rules and insurance are enforced.

Now for the rules of flying Torrey Pines.
1) Current proof of AMA membership
2) There is an insurance waiver that must be signed before flying. This is done at the flight shack at the south portion of the glider port. This takes about 10 minutes and normally results in writers cramp if done properly.
3) The cost of your share of the insurance burden is $10.00 for unlimited access. This will be paid when you accomplish item #4.
4) You must sign in on the flying roster at the counter in the flight shack with your name, AMA # and the date of expiration of AMA. You may be required to show your card to the administration person at the counter.

Shortly I will publish a map of the area that has been designated for our use at Torrey Pines Glider Port. This has been approved by Robin, the Manager of the Torrey Pines Glider Port and the Torrey Pines Gulls. This should elevate some of the problems we encountered last year. I look forward to this years event with great optimism.
Bob
Jan 01, 2019, 01:24 PM
Life is better now
Thread OP

Happy new year

I want to wish everyone and very HAPPY NEW YEAR! Life is what you make of it.....let's make this a truly great and memorable year! The best of health, happiness and prosperity to you all!
Bob and Katie!
Jan 02, 2019, 01:10 PM
Hi Bob,

Looking forward to this great annual event honoring Katie. Really happy to fly again at Torrey Pines!

Happy New Year!

Lon
Jan 04, 2019, 11:28 AM
DWA
DWA
1Corinthians 13:1-8
Looking forward to it.
See you guys there.

Dave
Jan 04, 2019, 10:11 PM
Dale G......OZD
I'll put an announcement in the TPG newsletter when we're closer to the Tribute.

Dale
Jan 06, 2019, 01:22 AM
Life is better now
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by he4gott
I'll put an announcement in the TPG newsletter when we're closer to the Tribute.

Dale
Thanks Dale......let me know if you need anything....

Bob
Jan 07, 2019, 12:35 AM
Old newb
For Torrey Pines information see

http://www.FlyTorrey.com

Find the Site Rules at the bottom of the screen.

The web site only promotes para gliding sadly. Even though it is historic general soaring site and a city park.

They have buried that information even deeper now, I notice.
Last edited by r39o; Jan 07, 2019 at 12:47 AM.
Jan 07, 2019, 08:49 PM
Life is better now
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by r39o
For Torrey Pines information see

http://www.FlyTorrey.com

Find the Site Rules at the bottom of the screen.

The web site only promotes para gliding sadly. Even though it is historic general soaring site and a city park.

They have buried that information even deeper now, I notice.
Thanks for the post.....I followed the link and yes it is hard to find, but I read the whole thing, especially the hang glider/paraglider rules. Nothing new for me...as I am familiar with the rules, but was encouraged by the specific call out for the priority in the window for RC. If the non RC pilots follow even half of the rules, we should be OK....let us hope that is the case......

OK.....sounds like fun.....who is coming and what are you bringing?
Bob
Jan 08, 2019, 05:24 PM
She's Flying Again

Tribute 2019

Bob,
I'll bite, two SuperHawks, Original 70's Hobie Hawk and the Original Glass SR7 you gave me back in the Pasadena days!

Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob57hdt
OK.....sounds like fun.....who is coming and what are you bringing?
Bob
Jan 10, 2019, 12:05 AM
Life is better now
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by fly-by-night
Bob,
I'll bite, two SuperHawks, Original 70's Hobie Hawk and the Original Glass SR7 you gave me back in the Pasadena days!

Steve
Cool Steve......I may have my 39 year old Dura-lene SR-7 PLUS a new glass SR-7 PLUS and Mini 7....... and more!

Come on guys..... What is ready and what is on the board?

Bob
Jan 10, 2019, 12:49 AM
Old newb
Prototype Hobie Hawk from Hobieís garage. I just dropped off parts today to finish it.

Ex competition Hawk - thinking about some kind of raffle involving guessing who flew it.

Both with vintage gear.

One with a Kraft two channel (maybe 27Mhz) and an RS system on 2.4.

Some classic wood too. Sagitta 900, Larry Jolly Pantera, and if I can get it done, a Windward (my first RC I flew) and maybe maybe the scaled to 72 inches 1942 Ed Stahl Schweitzer TG-2 in 1957 Torrey Pines livery covered in silk.

If I am overly lucky I will get most of these ready......

Quick Reply