Jan 23, 2019, 01:23 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickpapagiorgio View Post
I have this quad and man is it FAST!!! It seems like it defies gravity some times. Unfortunately, I had a bad receiver initially (XM+), which would drop signal randomly and cause the failsafe to kick in. It caused the quad to drop out of the sky from about 20 feet up and land directly on a concrete patio. The only damage to the frame was it looks like the first layer of CF cracked on two of the legs, but the small plug on the ESC board also broke off from the board entirely. I thought maybe the problem was with the ESC anyway, so I replaced it, but the problem persisted. I then installed a whole new FC, and the problem remained. I finally figured out the receiver was bad and got that replaced. I also had to replace a motor that I think was damaged in the crash.

Anyway, I finally got it flying again after about two weeks... here's a quick video of some LOS flying. It was too windy for FPV.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_flF0Q6wHPs
Do you like how it flies? It is very fast but also goes over rails...
to remove ads between posts
Jan 23, 2019, 04:30 PM
I read Seby's thread on the 249+JD and he mentions no rssi/telemetry with the plug in option for the r-xsr (I.e. You've got to do a bit of soldering to get telemetry data etc. on the osd).

Now while I'm not averse to soldering, can someone confirm if this I'd the same case with the r349, namely if you plug in an r-xsr, you won't get rssi and telemetry (I like knowing the voltage!) on my osd without doing some additional soldering work?
Jan 23, 2019, 09:55 PM
I'm getting everything (volts, mAh used etc.) but rssi in the osd using an xm+. Sorry no r-xsr. Waiting for the frsky STK tool to flash the xm+ firmware for rssi.
Jan 24, 2019, 01:36 AM
Fan of just about anything RC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rishi View Post
I read Seby's thread on the 249+JD and he mentions no rssi/telemetry with the plug in option for the r-xsr (I.e. You've got to do a bit of soldering to get telemetry data etc. on the osd).

Now while I'm not averse to soldering, can someone confirm if this I'd the same case with the r349, namely if you plug in an r-xsr, you won't get rssi and telemetry (I like knowing the voltage!) on my osd without doing some additional soldering work?

OSD voltage doesn't depend on telemetry, even with the XM+ you can get voltage on the OSD. Telemetry sends back info like voltage, if wired correctly, to the radio, so you can have you Taranis call out the values, and/or sound an alarm to warn the pilot it is running low. With OSD active, that's a bit of double information, as it also shows there, but during flying it's possible to forget to check the voltage from time to time, and then I guess a sound warning is nice, especially on quads that don't have a beeper. And even with a beeper, if the wind is blowing away from you, it may not be well audible anyway, and the radio speaker is always audible since it's close.
Jan 24, 2019, 02:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoloProFan View Post
OSD voltage doesn't depend on telemetry, even with the XM+ you can get voltage on the OSD. Telemetry sends back info like voltage, if wired correctly, to the radio, so you can have you Taranis call out the values, and/or sound an alarm to warn the pilot it is running low. With OSD active, that's a bit of double information, as it also shows there, but during flying it's possible to forget to check the voltage from time to time, and then I guess a sound warning is nice, especially on quads that don't have a beeper. And even with a beeper, if the wind is blowing away from you, it may not be well audible anyway, and the radio speaker is always audible since it's close.

Cheers for explaining this. Does the same apply for th rssi (I.e. Will it appear on the osd too, or does it need telemetry?).
Jan 24, 2019, 07:13 AM
Quote:
Cheers for explaining this. Does the same apply for th rssi (I.e. Will it appear on the osd too, or does it need telemetry?).

RSSI on OSD is independent of telemetry. The receiver needs to have the feature that one channel shows RSSI values, then you can set in BetaFlight to use that channel as input for the OSD RSSI value. Some D8 receivers have this by default, for instance showing RSSI on channel 9, aka AUX5.

On the XM or XM+, with the right firmware, it can show RSSI on channel 16 or a lower channel. The R-XSR can not directly show RSSI on a channel, and thus on OSD, you will have to use a special mix on the Taranis to send the RSSI value to a free receiver channel, and then that channel can be selected in BetaFlight as input for RSSI OSD.
Jan 24, 2019, 08:16 AM
Quote:
RSSI on OSD is independent of telemetry. The receiver needs to have the feature that one channel shows RSSI values, then you can set in BetaFlight to use that channel as input for the OSD RSSI value. Some D8 receivers have this by default, for instance showing RSSI on channel 9, aka AUX5.

On the XM or XM+, with the right firmware, it can show RSSI on channel 16 or a lower channel. The R-XSR can not directly show RSSI on a channel, and thus on OSD, you will have to use a special mix on the Taranis to send the RSSI value to a free receiver channel, and then that channel can be selected in BetaFlight as input for RSSI OSD.
Great! This means I can get flying with less delay, once I eventually order the r349 (may be a while though as my xjb 145 with xm+ literally just arrived, but I won't be flying it for a while owing to the weather -will wait for a day when the grass is dry and the sky, relatively clear).
Jan 24, 2019, 01:06 PM
I got mine last week and it looks awesome and has some punch out. But mine is a bit sloppy out of the box. I watched AL Kims review on youtube and mine fly's similar to his. He reckons the stack needs to be loosened then refine the PIDS. Any one else have this problem, If so what PIDS did you settle on. And @Cttrulson and Soloprofan In betaflight 3.4 the devs put a new feature in for the flight controller to compare slight error readings to calculate RSSI value. you require f4/7 flight controller and here is all you need to do. Turn rssi off in config and also in reciver tab, only turn on in osd. go to cli and type rssi_src_frame_errors = ON. You will now see a RSSI value in your osd even without changing the firmware on the xm+
Jan 24, 2019, 07:40 PM
AJFPV no sloppyness here flying a 650mAh 4S but most of my quad experience is whoops so I'm not sure if my opinion counts.

Thanks for that tip on the rssi. I'll give it a try. Fresh snow on the ground though so it'll have to wait. Don't want to mess it up. The build quality on this quad is sweet it has quality components and it rips. Surprised more people aren't jumping on this thing for $140.
Jan 25, 2019, 02:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJFPV View Post
I got mine last week and it looks awesome and has some punch out. But mine is a bit sloppy out of the box. I watched AL Kims review on youtube and mine fly's similar to his. He reckons the stack needs to be loosened then refine the PIDS. Any one else have this problem, If so what PIDS did you settle on. And @Cttrulson and Soloprofan In betaflight 3.4 the devs put a new feature in for the flight controller to compare slight error readings to calculate RSSI value. you require f4/7 flight controller and here is all you need to do. Turn rssi off in config and also in reciver tab, only turn on in osd. go to cli and type rssi_src_frame_errors = ON. You will now see a RSSI value in your osd even without changing the firmware on the xm+

I see, then the FC calculates signal quality based upon the amount of errors it perceives in the signal that receiver sends to FC. Is that reliable? It feels a bit like a current meter that calculates mAh used based upon throttle position and a scaling factor. It does sound interesting, especially for receivers without RSSI. Like older FlySky etc.
Jan 25, 2019, 03:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJFPV View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by cttrulson View Post
AJFPV no sloppyness here flying a 650mAh 4S but most of my quad experience is whoops so I'm not sure if my opinion counts.

Thanks for that tip on the rssi. I'll give it a try. Fresh snow on the ground though so it'll have to wait. Don't want to mess it up. The build quality on this quad is sweet it has quality components and it rips. Surprised more people aren't jumping on this thing for $140.
@AJFPV: could try to compare your pids and lipo setup to someone else who's not having sloppiness issues (to rule out any inconsistency in settings?).
Jan 25, 2019, 09:51 AM
Quote:
@AJFPV: could try to compare your pids and lipo setup to someone else who's not having sloppiness issues (to rule out any inconsistency in settings?).
@ Rishi I am running stock PIDS and using gnb and tattu 850mah 4s packs. I can tune it but I thought it would be better tuned coming from the factory. may be its just my one. ill try tune it when the weather clears up a bit.
Jan 25, 2019, 09:59 AM
Maybe the 850mAh adds a bit too much weight, and affects the handling?
Jan 25, 2019, 10:28 AM
Quote:
I see, then the FC calculates signal quality based upon the amount of errors it perceives in the signal that receiver sends to FC. Is that reliable? It feels a bit like a current meter that calculates mAh used based upon throttle position and a scaling factor. It does sound interesting, especially for receivers without RSSI. Like older FlySky etc.
it works very similar to current meter (kind off) yes it reads the difference between the error dropouts to show RSSI, it should work on any reciver. while I don't have the equipment to test it out properly. I did a test run with two 3" quads with two xm+, one that had eu firmware (no rssi) and one with fcc firmware (RSSI). The run was simply a long straight with a turn behind a tree and to my surprize the rssi value was exactly same even behind the tree. While more intensive testing is required the initial test is very promising and the devs in betaflight continue to refine it so further updates it should be 100%
Jan 25, 2019, 10:30 AM
Quote:
Maybe the 850mAh adds a bit too much weight, and affects the handling?
possibly I have 750 and even 650 gnb packs, ill give them a go

Quick Reply