Oct 21, 2019, 02:45 AM
Can't fly 3D for toffee ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.P
Finally got a chance to really fly the 349 with
lots of room. still with throttle limits. Really really satisfying to fly - wow! This thing needs lots of space, and is super smooth and stable. I was flying on 3s and 4s with the throttle limit between 50 and 75% or so.

I also (and this is a huge deal for me) did my very first acro flights today! I am learning to do acro on my eachine trashcan, as it is forgiving and easy for me to fly. I used a flight sim to learn, I was just completely comfortable which was not at all what I expected. I thought the flight sims were unrealistically easy but it turns out they were not so far off from reality.
Well done! I did a similar thing earlier this year ... spent some time in Lift Off learning acro (would have been easy if I hadn't done a load of whoop flying in angle) then bought a 349. I have no powers of self control so just shot off in acro, on 4S with no throttle limits, lol. I crashed it quite a bit and still am not very good with a gap smaller than a big car but I'll get there. FWIW, I have a permanent 80% throttle scale on now as I have 650 mega-sag lipos and props that are too hungry ...

Keep enjoying!
to remove ads between posts
Oct 21, 2019, 02:51 AM
Hi all,
Same here, all wired up and new batteries but weather is not on my side, so I just tested it hovering at the yard, and back to simulator.
Good to see more people is using this tiny beast for learning, regarding throttle limits, this is good article to check for options:

https://oscarliang.com/reduce-power-...is-betaflight/

Cheers
Oct 21, 2019, 03:09 AM
Can't fly 3D for toffee ...
I use betaflight. From the article linked above, I simply used these lines

Code:
Set throttle_limit_type = scale
Set throttle_limit_percent = 80
Save
I also use an 85% scale on my 6S 5", just to help look after the batteries. After all, unless the camera is at some crazy angle, the extra power is not a lot of use and both it and the R349 have tons to spare ...
Oct 21, 2019, 05:06 AM
Excellent info. Thanks guys.
Oct 21, 2019, 08:17 AM
Iím trying to figure out the best way to explain expo. Basically it messes with the relationship between where the stick is and what the throttle is on the motors. With expo off, each movement of the stick produces the same change in throttl. With expo on, the stick is less sensitive at the extremes requiring more movement when at very low or very high throttle and less movement in the middle of the stickís range of motion. This gives more delicate control when hovering or flying close in at low throttle and makes it easier to fly without over compensating. When I have straight throttle and fly indoors, I tend to almost bounce off the floor and ceiling as I at times over compensate. Expo tones that down
Oct 21, 2019, 09:23 AM
Flight for life
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.P
I’m trying to figure out the best way to explain expo. Basically it messes with the relationship between where the stick is and what the throttle is on the motors. With expo off, each movement of the stick produces the same change in throttl. With expo on, the stick is less sensitive at the extremes requiring more movement when at very low or very high throttle and less movement in the middle of the stick’s range of motion. This gives more delicate control when hovering or flying close in at low throttle and makes it easier to fly without over compensating. When I have straight throttle and fly indoors, I tend to almost bounce off the floor and ceiling as I at times over compensate. Expo tones that down
Oh .
I never heard about Expo on Throttle.
What radio do you have ?
Thanks.
I think it is better to scale down throttle if you bounce off the walls.
And use Expo for rudder,elevator and aileron.
Oct 21, 2019, 05:09 PM
Toycar racer
anyone know where I can get a longer flight controller (Mamba F405mini) / esc cable (mamba25)? Pulled the guts out of my r349 and plan to do something else with it but need a longer cable. looking for something 2-4 times longer than the stock.
Oct 21, 2019, 05:42 PM

How to use S.Port / F.Port without loosing a uart

I wanted to use F.Port on my ER349, but didn't want to give up the other uarts.
First thing I did was to modify my R-XSR so un-inverted signal is coming out the sbus in pin
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...5#post42994963
Then downloaded the data sheet for the STM32F405 processor.
Looking at the resources in betaflight and the alternate function mapping in the data sheet, I found all the pins that were exposed.
I looked at the alternate functions and noticed that Pin A0, which is used for the led strip, can also have UART4_TX
Since I'm not using the led strip, I made the following changes in beta flight
resource LED_STRIP 1 NONE
resource SERIAL_TX 4 A00
and now TX 4 can be used for S.Port or F.Port (I'm using it for F.Port and it's working great).

Jeff
Oct 21, 2019, 05:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbz619
anyone know where I can get a longer flight controller (Mamba F405mini) / esc cable (mamba25)? Pulled the guts out of my r349 and plan to do something else with it but need a longer cable. looking for something 2-4 times longer than the stock.
You can get some of these, lift the tabs on one of the 8-pin plugs and, pop out the wires. You can then use the longer wires to replace the wires in the stock 10-pin (and 2-pin for the buzzer) plug.

Or, you can use this kit (if it ever comes back in stock) to build a completely new cable.
Oct 21, 2019, 05:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhendrix
I wanted to use F.Port on my ER349, but didn't want to give up the other uarts.
First thing I did was to modify my R-XSR so un-inverted signal is coming out the sbus in pin
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...5#post42994963
Then downloaded the data sheet for the STM32F405 processor.
Looking at the resources in betaflight and the alternate function mapping in the data sheet, I found all the pins that were exposed.
I looked at the alternate functions and noticed that Pin A0, which is used for the led strip, can also have UART4_TX
Since I'm not using the led strip, I made the following changes in beta flight
resource LED_STRIP 1 NONE
resource SERIAL_TX 4 A00
and now TX 4 can be used for S.Port or F.Port (I'm using it for F.Port and it's working great).

Jeff
Nicely done. Your post will go into my list of bookmarked posts for RC. I'm sure that it will come in handy in future, both for myself and, to direct others to. Thanks.

Good job on the R-XSR mod too.
Oct 21, 2019, 06:24 PM
Toycar racer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Temporal Flux
You can get some of these, lift the tabs on one of the 8-pin plugs and, pop out the wires. You can then use the longer wires to replace the wires in the stock 10-pin (and 2-pin for the buzzer) plug.

Or, you can use this kit (if it ever comes back in stock) to build a completely new cable.
Thanks for the links. i'll order some. i had originally thought about doing that but diatone's connector is so small. just like the FC. i'll give it a shot. thanks
Oct 21, 2019, 08:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by geotric
Oh .
I never heard about Expo on Throttle.
What radio do you have ?
Thanks.
I think it is better to scale down throttle if you bounce off the walls.
And use Expo for rudder,elevator and aileron.
I have Taranis qx10. Betaflight has a throttle expo option on the pid tuning page. Some blog suggested using it to subdue the trashcan on 2s when flying indoors. It works nicely for me. Outdoors I don’t really find it helpful now that I am used to how jumpy the 349 is. Early on it made it nice and easy to fly around my yard. Makes the low end mushy which is ok for really close in flying at least for me.

Here’s one discussion here:

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...po-on-throttle
Last edited by Mr.P; Oct 21, 2019 at 09:36 PM.
Oct 21, 2019, 09:52 PM
Old !Bold Pilot
There is one flight segement that I think I'd like to tone down the throttle response on 4S/3052's. When I come in to land, I find the ER349 and GTR349's are a touchy with a linear throttle "curve" to 100%. I seem to hover around 24-28% plus or minus depending on winds etc... and the slightest intended throttle input on the stick (FrSky Standard X9D+ throttle gimbal) often buys me more change in thrust than I wanted.
Oct 21, 2019, 11:08 PM
That’s the exact reason I added the expo. If I understand it right you need to move the throttle a greater distance at the bottom and top end of their range to effect a change than the middle of the range. When I added expo I had an easier time maintaining elevation when flying near the ground in my backyard.

I think a down side is that you have to move e stick further than normal when you want to suddenly punch out. You lose that sense of immediate response when transitioning from low to higher throttle flying.

With the dial-a-limit pot setting on my qx10 I can just get the same effect (in a way) by dialing down the max throttle when flying close in and opening it up when flying at greater distances / larger scales. The expo curve is almost like a preprogrammed dynamic throttle scaling factor... not exactly the same but similar (obviously expo doesn’t in itself limit throttle but it feels like throttle is limited when you are at the low range because the required motion is stretched out in both cases ).

I am guessing a skilled pilot would find the curve really annoying when doing any kind of acrobatic flight where you might need to change from high to zero and back to high throttle quickly to pull of maneuvers.
Last edited by Mr.P; Oct 21, 2019 at 11:17 PM.
Oct 21, 2019, 11:22 PM
So switching to a lower pitch propeller would be a similar deal wouldn’t it? Decreasing thrust at all throttles... wonder how much different it would feel compared to 3052 with limited throttle?

I like the way it flies now that I can tune the throttle, but I wonder if I should have started with the other props (3028?)... or are those a poor choice for some reason? I recall reading that it was not a treat to fly on those but I don’t know why. What about two blade props? I don’t quite understand how one assesses the appropriateness of particular motor and prop combinations. I looked over a few websites and understood more or less what they were saying but I’m having a hard time applying the little knowledge I gained.

Another random question - is there a reason not to select dshot 1200 esc protocol when setting up in betaflight? Does it make any difference positive or negative?
Last edited by Mr.P; Oct 21, 2019 at 11:38 PM.

Quick Reply