This thread is privately moderated by Spaaro, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Dec 29, 2018, 12:13 AM
Thread OP
Build Log

Initial Work on Golf Bag=>Glider Tote Conversion

Dry, clear & warm day; I thought I'd dig into that 'golf bag' conversion some...

It stands roughly 34" - 36" high and has roughly the same 'open space volume' depth inside; inner circumference is 28-3/4 ".

The 'pear-shaped' mouth is 7" across & 8-3/4" high at its widest point; I guess these dimensions determine the widest chord wings I'll be able to fit, eh?

It has[..had..] 3, hard molded PVC dividers to separate the golf clubs and 3 'tiers' or septums--fabric dividers inside that stretched full depth.

I went ahead and hacksawed the plastic dividers out, but I will keep the inner, fabric septums/'shelves', as they might prove useful for protecting the glider parts & wings.

Based on the available volume and the 2, inner steel rod spines supporting the bag between its thermoplastic base molding & velvet-trimmed mouth, I now envision:
- Using Corr-Flute/sign plastic as the inner wall liner that will wrap around its interior. I will try to cut it to be a close, 'tension/friction' fit-

-I don't want to permanently affix it(..likely for periodic cleaning and/or mods..) This will require either 1 piece of sign plastic, 30 x 30 ...or, 2 pieces 30 x 15.

-To further stabilize the slippery-surface Corr-Flute plastic against the nylon fabric without fasteners OR cross pieces, I might try 'splitting' the Corr-Flute so that it is only 1 layer, with the exposed corrugation ridges facing outwards.

- I'll then smear 'Great Stuff' foam across these open ridges and attach either thin, dimpled foam shelf liner material OR the cheap foam underlay material, commonly used to pack large home electronics. These assemblies will be placed under weighted panels to prevent the foam rising too much[...good thing I have TWO, standard 'Gen 2' Honda CR-V issue picnic tables to do this, versus having to hunt for plywood!...]
This should help give the 'correct' friction & stability across the bag fabric->Corr-Flute interface.

Maybe it will be too much work 'splitting' the Corr-Flute? Maybe I should just use adhesive paper backing to stick the foam underlayment layer down? Will that last securely--or delaminate under a single summer's heat?

I'll figure out which approach yields a thinner, yet workable wall liner. I just don't want to bulk-up bag weight nor reduce my inner volume too much, while imitating the benefits of a 'hard shell'.
Of course with 6 pre-built zipper pockets(..one of which MIGHT fit my ARES transmitter!..)...a self activating 'kick stand'...and LOTS of carry handle/harness points & web loops!
to remove ads between posts

Quick Reply