This thread is privately moderated by Wrench66, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Dec 27, 2018, 08:40 PM
Chino Renegade oh-gee, yo
Thread OP
Discussion

Wc fields

Wc Fields (1 hr 5 min 9 sec)

1994 Kawasaki Bayou 220 not producing spark. First ATV ever
You have probably looked over my thread...and seen that these issues seem to not get much of a response. Seems electrical is a ghost and in the spirit realm where we know it exists, but have no clue of how.

But there is good news! I am not an expert, but have done a ton of research and troubleshooting on mine. I would say that first and foremost is to get a manual. They can be had electronically on ebay for $10. Don't take this the wrong way, but if your not interested in getting it, then your not going to be interested in getting down to the root of your issues. The manual will help you understand what all is going on.

But here is some thoughts regardless. On your model you have 4 things going on with your igintion system getting spark. First you have your stator, it has two yellow wires that come out of it going to the regulator/rectifier, and you have a red and red/black coming out that go to the CDI unit. Those two wires supply ac voltage to the CDI unit to allow it to 'function'. Kind of like a power supply.

Second you have your pick up coil. It is the blue and black wire coming from just behind your pull starter. It is the signal to the CDI that its time to make a spark.

Third you have your signal to the coil from the CDI. This is the green/white wire.

Fourth you have your grounds. This is where you need to start. You need to check to see if the black/yellow wire from the CDI and from the coil are going to a common ground. And you need to see if that common ground is grounded throughout the entire system. All grounds should be black/yellow.

The ground is what your kill switch and key switch rely on for stopping the engine and for allowing a start condition.

The battery and rectifier/regulator really have nothing to do with the system, however, I believe they are important and need to be taken into consideration. The stator puts out some 20-30 vac. If your regulator/rectifier is not catching that correctly and turning it into dc voltage correctly, then your in trouble.

And the battery, if it is not in place and while your running the positive and negative touch, then you potentially have a situation where your sending voltage back through the coil and CDI unit through the ground. This can also happen when someone hooks a set of jumper cables up backwards.

Also, after my research, I would caution you as to how much you turn over the engine without the coil hooked up to a plug with it having a way to ground. If the CDI unit is sending a spark to the coil and the coil bumping it up for the plug but then not having anywhere to go(ground), it can potentially come back through to the CDI and damage it. There are diodes in there, but electrical components can only handle so much for so long.

So there you have it. This could all mean something, or nothing at all to you. Your issue might be something else entirely. But I'd keep this in mind or it will cost you down the road. I was looking at having to spend close to $400 to replace the electronics I mentioned because they were bad. Thankfully I found a guy with a bayou that was locked up and he sold me those parts off it. Runs like a champ now.
Last edited by Wrench66; Oct 16, 2019 at 04:54 PM.
to remove ads between posts
May 18, 2019, 08:24 PM
Chino Renegade oh-gee, yo
Thread OP
Threaded block

Quick Reply