Jul 17, 2019, 04:04 PM
So the hardware for the linkages in the kit is 3M. The recommended 1.25”’servo arms are I got are 2M. I can either use 2M hardware I have lying around, order 1.5” arms, or can I tap the 1.25” to 3M? Thoughts, recommendations?
to remove ads between posts
Jul 17, 2019, 05:05 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
Thread OP
The original hardware was M2, they have evidently upgraded to M3. If you got the arms from Tim at northwest, I am sure he will exchange them for you, or yes, if you know how to do it, you can drill and tap for M3. If you don't know how to do it, I will do it for you if you like.

SteveT.
Latest blog entry: My shop....
Jul 17, 2019, 08:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveT.
The original hardware was M2, they have evidently upgraded to M3. If you got the arms from Tim at northwest, I am sure he will exchange them for you, or yes, if you know how to do it, you can drill and tap for M3. If you don't know how to do it, I will do it for you if you like.

SteveT.
I have reached out to Tim and left him a message. Thanks for the offer tap them, Iíll let you know
Jul 17, 2019, 09:11 PM
I know my plan to start the build after my vacation, but I couldnít help my self
Unfortunately I have run into another problem. The recommended standoffs that I ordered with the plane are to short by 14mm. On the product page, it lists the Blazing Star Standard Standoff. I believe this needs to be updated to Blazing Star Standoff Set - XX Large length. Iím sure these issues are because of the updates to v2 version. I have sent a message to Tim. Iím kinda glad I caught these now, as it would have been a little frustrating getting back from vacay, starting the build, and then waiting for the needed parts, but itís all good.
Jul 17, 2019, 09:42 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
Thread OP
Well... Not to self promote, but I have a lathe in my shop (click on the 'My shop' tab at the bottom of my post) and make custom stand-offs.

I'll send you a PM.

SteveT.
Latest blog entry: My shop....
Jul 18, 2019, 08:01 AM

Slick

Just got my slick and checking out the magnetic pin system, just wish they could have moved it aft from the bulkhead for the wing capture pins, are you going to use low profile servos in the tail or shim the the servos out ? Glad to see the move to 3mm hardware , did not know that and will check it out. What size prop do you plan on using for that motor ?
Jul 18, 2019, 09:53 AM
Well, Steve convinced me to get the Promodler DS345ís Servoís so Iíll be using the shims. I also went with the recommended 21x10 prop for the xpwr35 to start. Good luck on the build, and lets us know how it goes.
Jul 18, 2019, 11:26 AM

Servos

I have the pro modelers in most of my planes but the MKS X5 is just suited for this purpose, in the photos are the pro modelers net to the MKS X5. I have the servos that Steve recommends and have zero issues. These are shots of the Slick V2 and V3 fuse in comparison. The V3 is definitely a lighter structure and thinner plywood, I will be going with the Dualsky GA 40 on the V3 and DLE 35 RA on the V2
Jul 18, 2019, 11:41 AM

3mm

Glad they went to 3mm as there is alot more available for this size . This is the the skywing 540 , had to drill out the carbon horns and replaces with 3 mm secraft turnbuckles
Jul 18, 2019, 07:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by fas350z
I have the pro modelers in most of my planes but the MKS X5 is just suited for this purpose, in the photos are the pro modelers net to the MKS X5. I have the servos that Steve recommends and have zero issues. These are shots of the Slick V2 and V3 fuse in comparison. The V3 is definitely a lighter structure and thinner plywood, I will be going with the Dualsky GA 40 on the V3 and DLE 35 RA on the V2
Cool, thanks for the info. There sure is a difference in the size of the X5ís.
Iím sure the thinner wood is because of the added carbon fiber.

Quick Reply