Dec 27, 2018, 08:22 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
Thread OP
Build Log

SkyWing 74" Edge

Here we go guys.. a thread on the building and discussion of the SkyWing 74" Edge.. I am doing a build now, but am waiting on servos and arms for them. I am going to post one photo for the time being, with many more to follow..

I will also though in some hints and tips of how I do some things that go along with the build. Some/many of you will already know these things, but some may not, and hopefully they will be of interest to all.

You can find the Skywing planes at NorthwestRC.com

And the manual can be found here or on the Northwest site on the plane's web page.

SteveT.
Last edited by SteveT.; Jan 01, 2019 at 03:16 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Thread OP

Unpacking a large solid box

USPS 'tried' to damage the plane!! Not double boxed, but one solid 'honeycombed' box!!

In my excitement I forgot to take a picture of the plane in the box, but here are pics of the plane and parts. These are not all in same time sequence, and please excuse my pics, as I am not a professional photographer..

SteveT.
Last edited by SteveT.; Dec 28, 2018 at 01:58 AM.
Thread OP

Ok... let start the build..

One thing I am going to suggest, if you are building one of the printed scheme planes like this one, just to keep from scratching the finish (and it doesn't hurt with normal covering either), you might want to cover you building surface with an old soft blanket.

I like to get all the stuff done that goes inside the fuselage done first, but as I don't have my servos yet (coming in two days), I started with the motor. The firewall comes pre drilled and there is a wooden motor extension, but, as I am using a Motrolfly 4330-206 motor, it didn't fit the pre drilled holes and so I plugged them with some bamboo skewer material I had, and then re-drilled them. It's a very easy job!!

Once I CAd the bamboo in, I used a 'flush cut' saw to cut the bamboo flush to the surface and then sealed it with a smear of CA glues Once that was done, I measured out the hole spacing for the motor I am using and then did a CAD drawing that I printed on clear label material and then stuck that on the firewall after marking the existing laser drawn lines with a pencil as they were a bit faint and my old eyes just couldn't see them through the label material. Once that was done, I used a couple of awls One fine, and one larger one to 'center punch' the holes for drilling. Be careful when doing this, as you don't need to (nor want to) hit the awl too hard. Once I punched them I used a fine magic marker to mark the holes, (again old eyes) and them using successive sizes of drill bits, I drilled the holes out to a #8 size hole which is just slightly larger than t an M5, as I am going to use M5 five screws for the stand-offs I will use. To keep the wood from splintering (any wood will do this as you drill through it) I put tape over the holes, then punched through the tape with the awl, then drilled the holes. As you can see in one photo, there is a small block of wood that I held behind the firewall, again to keep it from splintering. Once The firewall was drilled, I mounted the motor on a set of stand-offs I had made, and that part was done. The photo right before the wood block just shows a 'counter-sink' took I use to de-burr hole with.

Of course once that was done I had to put the cowl on and see how it looked... as you can see, I tried a couple of different spinners.. though I like the solid one, I will probably go with the vented one for better cooling..
Last edited by SteveT.; Dec 28, 2018 at 02:48 AM.
Dec 27, 2018, 08:23 PM
Thread OP

Once the cowl was on...

I just had to do the obligatory 'shove it together and lets see how it looks'...

Stick around guys, more pics and info coming soon...

Also.. I have never done a build thread before, so.. I hope you like the build techniques I use and the photos..

SteveT.
Last edited by SteveT.; Dec 28, 2018 at 03:10 AM.
Dec 27, 2018, 08:23 PM
Thread OP
Ok... here are some more pics, but also posting them in the thread with explanations of what I did.

And...as I could not find a Castle Arm Lock that I bought (and I spent about two hours looking for it), I was not able to finish up the motor installation, so, couldn't install the cowl.

So... I started on the elevator servos, and had to wait on some clear lacquer to dry, so...more time lost...argh!! Anyway, as noted there will be more info on page four.

SteveT.
Last edited by SteveT.; Jan 02, 2019 at 11:42 PM.
Dec 27, 2018, 09:14 PM
Interesting, where did you get this one?
Dec 27, 2018, 09:43 PM
Thread OP
NorthwestRC..

SteveT.
Latest blog entry: My shop....
Dec 27, 2018, 11:01 PM
I didn't see any 30cc stuff on there,
Dec 27, 2018, 11:10 PM
Thread OP
I got the first one...

SteveT.
Latest blog entry: My shop....
Dec 27, 2018, 11:13 PM
30 yrs. Of Aircraft flying!
Nice. Looks good. Not sure I have every heard of that brand.
What is the motor system going in it?
Dec 27, 2018, 11:19 PM
Thread OP
They are very well known in Europe/Asia, but just being brought in to the U.S.

In this case, a Motrolfly 4330-206, Castle Phoenix Edge 80HV, and I will be using Thunder Power 'Elite' 55C 6S packs (X2 for 12S)

Also will be using five Promodeler DS345BLHV servos (two ailerons, one rudder and two elevator), powered by a 2S Thunder Power 25C 'Pro Lite' pack. with a Spektrum Ar9030T receiver and an upgraded JR X11 for control.

SteveT.
Last edited by SteveT.; Dec 27, 2018 at 11:25 PM.
Dec 28, 2018, 02:40 AM
Nice Steve!!

What do you think of the printing?
Dec 28, 2018, 02:49 AM
Thread OP
Absolutely gorgeous!!

I know you fly Skywing planes my friend, ( I have seen your video of the Slick) do you have the Edge?

SteveT.
Last edited by SteveT.; Dec 28, 2018 at 03:08 AM.
Dec 28, 2018, 05:07 AM
I am builing up the Edge91 right now. It has an incredible fat fuselage, almost like its a Laser. I never had the new Edge73, but the Slick73 is a very good plane, my favorite '74' next to 3dhs Edge74 and AJ Laser73. The Slick is the most agressive so far. I crashed it some month ago...
Dec 28, 2018, 07:10 AM
It looks like they don't include the fuse in their wing area specs,. Could we get the measurements of a tip an root of a wing panel?

Quick Reply