Feb 18, 2019, 10:00 PM
vtpraerobatics.blogspot.c om
Thread OP

Wing tips

Finished up the tips with 1/64th ply. Turned out clean and quite strong and light.
to remove ads between posts
Feb 22, 2019, 01:25 PM
Which one is aileron again?
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldscooler
Next up is the search for large enough foam board to produce a 50” plus panel. Hobby Lobby has it in 60”x 40” pieces having a 0.220” thickness. And they fit perfectly in my Ranger. The paper skins are 0.020” thickness each.
I saw these today. They were in the framing shop and cost $16. I'm curious to weigh a sheet and see how it compares to the Adam's foam board.
Mar 02, 2019, 09:32 PM
Dude those wings are impressive.... So can't wait to see how it flies....
Mar 04, 2019, 04:22 PM
Thread OP

Wing torsion bad!

Spent some time on the wing root. I had been curious about its stability being a long 2 piece foam wing since the beginning of this project. Sure enough it’s unstable. So my flying partner and I came up with the idea of making a wing joiner socket to firm it all up.

Wing torsion (3 min 25 sec)
Last edited by oldscooler; Mar 04, 2019 at 04:35 PM.
Mar 10, 2019, 06:13 PM
Thread OP

Wing stabelizing former

Here is my version of mounting and stabilizing the wing root to the fuselage. It begins by tracing the airfoil shape onto the center material. Once the piece is the same net shape as the airfoil, this maintains the whole center wing assembly when cinched onto the fuselage.
Apr 07, 2019, 04:13 PM
Thread OP
Sorry for the long break, some important family matters had to take priority.

Moving forward, here is the wing root former concept explained.

Root socket former (3 min 41 sec)
Apr 19, 2019, 08:21 PM
Thread OP

Joiner system completed

My solution to flexible foam board wing roots.

Foamboard Wing Joiner System (5 min 41 sec)
Apr 20, 2019, 07:48 AM
Which one is aileron again?
Do you disassemble and replace the tape every time you go out to fly or is the tape more "permanent" ?
Apr 20, 2019, 09:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldscooler
My solution to flexible foam board wing roots.
Hey Eric - that's really an inspired piece of engineering, bravo! I'm struggling to solve the same problem for my LeTreeFish project which has the complication of it needing to be "through fuselage", but being just 1.5m also doesn't have nearly the same sort of in-flight stresses you had to contend with here. I'm still at prototype #3 of that project and will probably just go with something fairly hack-y for now, but if you had any quick thoughts I'd love to hear 'em.
Apr 20, 2019, 05:44 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by prototype3a
Do you disassemble and replace the tape every time you go out to fly or is the tape more "permanent" ?
New tape every outing. Easy only takes seconds to do.

E
Apr 29, 2019, 06:05 PM
Thread OP

Bench flight

Initial CG is now determined. The motorized nose cone assembly is being buttoned up and I’ll post a video of it’s design soon. Tail group is next on the build agenda.

E

VeLectro Bench Flight (1 min 5 sec)
Last edited by oldscooler; May 02, 2019 at 05:20 PM.
May 06, 2019, 04:25 AM

Looking good Eric....
May 09, 2019, 09:50 PM
Thread OP

Horizontal Stab

The feathers are semi-patterned dimensionally to my Sonic and Vollent 2.5m ships to start. Then I decided to go with a simple elevator design to keep the weight down and the mechanism easy. I sized the horizontal root cord about 15% longer and increased its overall length 2" longer, vertical fin about 1". This is in considering slower speeds in dead air (no vertical slope lift) and to be able to increase flight surface area versus standard stock sizing. As a rule I am a proponent of larger than normal flight surfaces learned from other highly aerobatic ship's I've designed. They can always be toned down with radio mixing and there will be less parasitic drag without aerobatic penalty. Wait till you see the ailerons coming soon.

I'm using 3/16" thick light balsa with strategically placed carbon fiber reinforcements. Yes, we have gobb's of elevator throw!
May 09, 2019, 10:56 PM
Thread OP

Vertical fin assy

The vertical fin began as a stock Art Hobby "Silent" model fin. Once I mocked the model up it was easy to see this fin was not sufficient (1st pic). It was fine for what it was intended in thermal flight, but not slow aerobatics. So I made up a cardboard sample 2" taller to 12.5" to check the proportions (2nd pic). Then the rudder needed to be enlarged for low-speed effectiveness as well.
Last edited by oldscooler; Aug 28, 2019 at 11:50 AM.
May 10, 2019, 08:16 AM
thanks so much @oldscooler, i wasn't aware of that technique of building up a tail surface blank from cross-grained sections of balsa - very nice!

Quick Reply