Feb 24, 2019, 09:04 PM
We need to check Gliderscore - will have corrections posted shortly.
1. Toby
2.Jonathan Garber
3. Steve
4. Skyler
5. David Beach
6. Lenny
7. Brad
8. Ali
9. Dustin
10. Matt A.
11. Tim Johnson
to remove ads between posts
Feb 24, 2019, 09:48 PM
Where is the lift?
Thread OP
A huge thank you to the Evergreen Turf farm owners and the manager of this farm for really helping us pull this one off!
I am sorry that some of you did not make it but based on the information available at the time to make that decision, it is the same decision that I would have made. However, we missed you guys!

After the initial weather drama, the event went off really well. Thanks to "gliderscore" by Gerry Carter and our own Lee Wolfe, all I had to do was make sure the batteries to the equipment were charged and push the start button. It literally went automatic after that.

A big thank you to John Armstrong for being the official CD for this event and doing all the CD paperwork plus providing the yummay lunches!

And as always, I really could not do it without the help of my awesomest partner and lovely wife, Myra Morris.

Myra and I really appreciate all the help we received from everyone getting the equipment setup and broken down each day. That made a big difference!

Thank you everyone for braving the weather and coming out to play with us at our new venue in Stanfield, AZ. In the time I've been flying out here, it is definitely the best place we've had to fly to date.

Congratulations to Toby, Jon, Steve, Skyler and the rest of the flyoff group! There was a lot of really impressive flying and low saves going on! Jon got the lowest launch award with a 19 meter launch in the flyoffs and getting his time.

I'm hoping that everyone had a great time and will consider coming out to enjoy this event next year.

Charlie & Myra
Last edited by cptsnoopy; Feb 25, 2019 at 08:07 AM.
Feb 25, 2019, 01:05 AM
On behalf of the Albuquerque Soaring Association contingent, we want to thank the organizers for putting on a great 2019 Southwest Classic F5J contest. I'm sure we'll all be back next time.

And a shameless plug for our next event--the 4th Annual Buzz Averill Memorial F5J Soaring Classic, to be held Aug 24-25, 2019 at the Albuquerque International Balloon Fiesta Park. (We can guarantee absolutely no mud/water hazards.)
Regards, Richard
Feb 25, 2019, 09:52 AM
Thanks for a great contest Charlie, despite the weather challenges! On Friday it certainly didn't look like we would be flying, but glad you pulled it off.

We drove half way home last night, another 8 hours to go today.

Thanks,
Lenny
Feb 25, 2019, 11:37 AM
Thank you Charlie, Myra and the rest of the EVEFs members for another great AZ contest. I was very skeptical when I arrived on Friday that we would even be flying this weekend. Snow in the mountains, rain showers most of the day Friday, lots of standing water everywhere. To add to the whole weather anomaly heavy dense fog on Saturday morning! Charlie, your sun dance and sacrificial offerings to the glider gods paid off and we had some excellent and challenging flying. Thank you John Armstrong for cooking lunch for all of us both days!

It always so good to fly with everyone, until the next F5J event! Fun times as always!

Cheers,

John
Last edited by luv2flyez; Feb 25, 2019 at 01:33 PM.
Feb 25, 2019, 06:15 PM
Thanks everyone! Was a great contest! Glad I made it in the end!
Feb 25, 2019, 08:26 PM
Team USA F5J
Thanks everyone for an awesome weekend, it was a great opportunity for Skyler David and I to work together as a team! Thanks to Justin Rizor for allowing me to stay with you and getting me back and forth from the airport. Another big thanks to Carl Thuesen and Steve Owen for bringing my stuff down from MT!

I hope to fly with everyone again soon!

Jon
Latest blog entry: My sailplanes
Feb 25, 2019, 09:50 PM
Fiddy Killa Voltz
Charlie, Jon, Myra, Sod Farm Manager (and many others), thank you so much for your hard work! The way you guys handled the situation was absolutely 10/10. Beautiful example of a contest not only resurrected, but done to the best standard I have ever seen.

Thanks Arizona, what a great weekend

-Matt
Feb 26, 2019, 12:55 PM
*Full Disclosure* Im a Gorilla
Great stuff guys!! Charlie, Myra, Lee, Randy, John Armstrong with killer food like always!! If John just quit his job and opened a food truck his hobby would be paid for!!

But seriously, given the uncontrollable variables and curveballs the weather threw at us, the contest was ran flawlessly and as always, the Arizona sky made for a very competitive weekend!!

Looking forward to seeing you all again very soon!!

Thank you Justin Rizor for timing for me all weekend (He's the secret to winning if everybody hasn't figured it out already.. He was the timer winner at the last contest held at this field as well) just say'n

Congrats to Mr Garber, Steve, Sky puppy and all the others that made it into the finals!! It wasnt easy and everybody was pushed to the edge of theyre comfort zone!

Cheers,

~Toby
Feb 26, 2019, 04:58 PM
Nice job with running this contest Charlie, Myra, John, and Iain!

I really appreciate Charlie stepping up to make this additional AZ contest happen...he certainly didn't know the full extent of what he was getting himself into. I am thrilled at how the contest was successful despite the huge up-front weather challenge. Sorry for those who ended up not making it due to the weather.

Congrats to the trophy winners Toby, Jonathan, and Steve and for the others who made it to the flyoffs!

-Randy
Feb 26, 2019, 05:04 PM
This has become one of my favorite contests over the years and this year didn't disappoint! Thanks to Charlie and Myra, you two are unshakable, always calm and pleasant last weekend (actually they are always calm and pleasant). Good times! Lets go again!
Feb 27, 2019, 12:00 AM

Foggy Saturday

(0 min 11 sec)

Practicing before the fog lifted on Saturday. Not sure why video shows twice...looks like RCG bug.
Feb 27, 2019, 12:34 AM
Team USA F5J
It was a good time to check the low level capabilities of my new joiners... I could see it 90% of the time and the lift was remarkably good...
Latest blog entry: My sailplanes

Quick Reply